PDA

View Full Version : Pickguard Trouble!

Iago
November 7th, 2006, 09:32 PM
oh well.. I bought on Ebay an 1-ply Tele pickguard (from a 52 american vintage tele) brand new, to fit my classic series 60s tele.

took the old ugly mint green off of it, and tried the shiny new pickguard.. and to my surprise it doesn`t fit!:( I`m sad now..

the 52 pickguard is slightly wider than the original one, so the 2 upper screws go a bit past the original holes (the other 3 bottom ones match fine). Also, the space for the neck is a bit wider on the 52 pickguard...

That leaves me with 2 options:

-Sell it again (or trade)
-fill the 2 upper screwholles on my tele and drill 2 new ones

I`m going back to the old mint green, though I would like to know if anyone knows which pickguard would fit perfectly a classic series tele ???

Iago
November 8th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I sent some emails yesterday. The first to answer were WDMusic from here, Florida. They told that American and Mexican Pickguards are not interchangeable, and they offer a "custom tracing" service, so they can make a copy of your pickguard, but using different materials etc..

Does anybody know if theres any company that makes a 1-ply white pickguard for mexican teles from factory? I dont want to spend time doing a tracing, then sending to them and this kind of things...

Iago
November 9th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Problem solved! Theres a little trick I learned for that.. ;)

Plank_Spanker
November 9th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Problem solved! Theres a little trick I learned for that.. ;)

And the trick is?

Pray tell! :D

Tone2TheBone
November 9th, 2006, 03:49 PM
You had to take off the control plate right..... :) I found out early on with mine.

tremoloman
November 9th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I've found MIM and MIA picguards fit each other, or at least the 3 I've had in my experience. Same with Strats.

Iago
November 9th, 2006, 10:13 PM
yeah.. Tone is right! it took me sometime to realize that. Before doing that it seemed impossible to make the pickguard fit without making new holes o.O

pictures:

Iago
November 9th, 2006, 10:16 PM
as you can see, theres a small empty space at the bottom of the neck pu. The pickguard also seems really warped on the upper part, but thats just a crazy shadow. The 1-ply white pickguard "cleans" and brings more of the cream color of the tele out.

fendermojoman
February 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=Iago]oh well.. I bought on Ebay an 1-ply Tele pickguard (from a 52 american vintage tele) brand new, to fit my classic series 60s tele.

took the old ugly mint green off of it, and tried the shiny new pickguard.. and to my surprise it doesn`t fit!:( I`m sad now..

Here's a tip. Contact terrapin Guitars in the Pacific NW. They'll make you exact fit plates and guards in any color, any ply you want. I used them for my MIM Strat for both pickguard and trem cover- they were great!:)