PDA

View Full Version : Just Un-freakin'-believable!!

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM
A fellow who worked in my group gave his two week notice about a month ago, but wouldn't tell me what he was going to be doing. We all thought that maybe he was going into business for himself and was still working out the details--maybe some kind of licensing deal, a franchise purchase, or the like. Apparently we were wrong. Really, REALLY wrong:

http://poststar.com/news/local/article_34af8a9e-35f9-11e0-bb48-001cc4c03286.html

Eric
February 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Wow. That's pretty cool. I've heard winning can make you miserable, but I was never sure about that; seemed like it might just be sour grapes from the non-winning ticketholders.

Have you talked to him since you found out?

Spudman
February 11th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Just in case the article dissapears

Wilton couple claims Powerball prize

ALBANY - A new car and a vacation.
That's how Jeffrey and Christine Pintuff plan to spend the $16.4 million they'll receive for having the winning ticket for the multi-state Powerball lottery.
The Pintuffs, of Wilton, are claiming their prize this morning at the Empire State Plaza in Albany, more than a month after learning they'd won.
The ticket was purchased at the Stewart's gas station at 4208 Route 50 in Wilton for $1. The winning numbers for the Dec. 25 drawing were 1, 17, 38, 50, 52 and 24.
Jeffrey, 58, and Christine, also 58, have been married 30 years. Both are retired, he from his job in quality assurance at Atlas in Voorheesville and she as a nurse at Saratoga Hospital. She retired from the hospital after 30 years after learning she'd won the prize.
They've spent the past month consulting with financial advisers before agreeing to come forward and claim the prize.
The couple chose a lump sum payment, which means they'll each receive $12.4 million. After taxes, the prize comes to $8.2 million apiece.
The couple chose their ticket through a quick pick. Like they do with the other lottery tickets they purchase, they hung it on the refrigerator under a magnet and forgot about it until the numbers were drawn.
They said they plan to spend their money modestly. Their children urged them to get a new car, they said, and Christine said she plans to "get away," having not been on a long vacation in years.

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM
It was just announced at an award ceremony in Albany an hour ago, so no, I haven't spoken to him yet. I'm sure he will be very, very busy for a while. He has a lot of friends here at work, so I'm sure he'll be checking in when he has a chance.

Here's another article I found on the web, with a few more details:

http://readme.readmedia.com/New-York-Powerball-Winners-Step-Forward-to-Claim-170-9-Million-in-Prizes/2043771

Robert
February 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Does he suffer from guitar GAS too? That win might solve it.

Some do get miserable. Read this one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241331/One-Britains-youngest-lottery-millionaires-Stuart-Donnelly-dead-home-lived-recluse.html

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Does he suffer from guitar GAS too? That win might solve it.Actually, he's an ex-drummer, and quite a good one. Used to teach locally and played in a couple of bands.

Some do get miserable. Read this one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241331/One-Britains-youngest-lottery-millionaires-Stuart-Donnelly-dead-home-lived-recluse.htmlJeff definitely won't be one of those. He's a very conservative, grounded guy, and a solid family man. Ex-military, "by the numbers" type of personality. He handled product quality certification for us, which required great organization and attention to detail, and he was the perfect guy for it.

pedalbuilder
February 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Cool for him, sucks for you - ever heard of a lottery winner who actually knew another lottery winner? Me neither!

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Cool for him, sucks for youNot for me! Never bought a lottery ticket in my life and don't plan to start. I don't believe in government-operated gambling. It's un-American. Everybody knows that gambling should be run by organized crime, because they don't take as big of a cut of the winnings. Then again, a lot of people will tell you that "government" and "organized crime" are synonyms....

Tig
February 11th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Wow, $16.4 million sure would buy some gear!
I bet one of us could actually top Spud's collection eventually! :poke

I rarely play, but Mrs. Tig contributes to tickets with a few of her co-workers.

I'd be happy just to pay off the house!

Eric
February 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Well, this always brings up the question of what you would do if you did win the lottery. Truthfully, I don't know. Traveling and what not would be fun, but I feel like eventually the lack of purpose would be difficult to reconcile.

piebaldpython
February 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
It was just announced at an award ceremony in Albany an hour ago, so no, I haven't spoken to him yet. I'm sure he will be very, very busy for a while. He has a lot of friends here at work, so I'm sure he'll be checking in when he has a chance.

I really wonder if he will check in with you guys at work? All that $$$$s makes people nervous that everybody they talk to is going to hit them up for some free cash....and so maybe to avoid that from happening......they avoid people in general. Let us know how this plays out.

Man, the git-room I'd have with some of that scratch. lol

Retro Hound
February 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I figured up if I just got my hands on 2.5 million I could retire now. That's assuming the interest would cover cost of living raises. But I don't gamble either.

ZMAN
February 11th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I really don't think any of us really "Think" they are going to win the big prize. We hope we will win, but I think it take a lot of people by surprise. We have lotteries up in Canada that are usually around 30 to 50 million dollars after a couple of weeks.
They just get larger and larger. 3 weeks ago a group won 50 million on one ticket. That same lottery will be 30 million tonight.
The thing about our lottery is the stated prize is what you get. The government has already taken their cut. It is paramutual betting and the only tax you pay would be on interest you made the following year.
It is quite obvious that these people didn't think they would win when you hear the answers to the question. "What will you do with the 50 million?"
I have heard everything from "keep on working" to "I might buy a new truck" . "pay off my mortgage" . You feel like screaming "wake up" you just won 50 freakin million dollars!
The lottery thing has become an integral part of our lives. I am currently in two lottery pools with my hockey teams, and I preplay my numbers a month at a time. The draws are twice a week on one draw and once a week on the Max millions. Oh and when the Max millions gets to 50 million they usually have another 15 to 20 individual million dollar prize draws included.
It is crazy.

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Here's my friend Jeff and his wife Chris at the award ceremony. That's a big check in more ways than one....

http://www.timesunion.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=570575&width=628&height=471

Beerman
February 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I don't play the lotto but his life is going to change in ways he can't even comprehend. I hope he uses it well.......as in taking care of his friends.

otaypanky
February 13th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Every once in a while I might buy some kind of lottery ticket. I'd love for my wife to be able to retire ~
I can always dream : )

deeaa
February 14th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I figure about 600-700k (tax free) would be enough for me to retire now. Probably even less, and I'd still live like I do now or better.
If make, say 60k a year, even if I worked for 30 more years with that income, it'd mean about a million after taxes...so, if I had 700K now I could pay off all my debt and drop on pension (which would suck) but still the net money with the winning would come to more than a million in 30 years. And considering the wife probably will come to better income than myself sometime in near(ish) future, I'd be quite OK with that income. Plus if I had all that money all at once, I could buy a few apartments and live off the rent of those much better and with lower taxation too.

I can't fathom what would I do had I 16 million in my pocket. I'd probably first pay off the debts of all my relatives and closest friends, and then rebuild the house and get a nice car or two, maybe even brand new ones for once, then put up a nice studio and live off the interest for the rest of my life. Give a few million to local charities.

ZMAN
February 14th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I just checked. The Super Seven wasn't won last Friday (30 million). So this Friday it is 43 Million. And you get the WHOLE 43 Million up front. I think I will buy a small Caribbean country if I win!