PDA

View Full Version : Squier '51 - $99.99 - Get 'em before they are gone!

tremoloman
November 8th, 2006, 06:02 AM
For all you '51 fans:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-51-Electric-Guitar?sku=519636&src=

marnold
November 8th, 2006, 08:08 AM
FedEx is saying that mine was loaded on a truck this morning in Green Bay to be delivered today!

tremoloman
November 9th, 2006, 04:51 AM
I couldn't resist... I ordered the black one to replace the one I parted a while back. How can you NOT get one for $99 shipped? I cannot see why they are discontinuing this guitar... perhaps for a Fender model upgrade?

Ro3b
November 15th, 2006, 12:31 PM
FedEx loaded mine on a truck last Thursday and I still haven't seen it. They're tracing it now. If they haven't located it by this Friday I'll have to file a claim and have them buy me another one. So much for instant gratification. I guess I should be happy that it's only a $99 cheapie guitar they lost instead of something more expensive and less easily replaceable. But still. :mad:

Robert
November 15th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Oh man, that sucks! Hope they find it soon!

marnold
November 15th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Oof. Sorry to hear that. I was in a little Mom and Pop place yesterday. They had a blonde '51 for $179. I didn't have the heart to tell them that MF was selling them for $99. The fretboard on that one did have some cool flaming though.

ted s
November 16th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Looks like they don't ship to Canada :( .. shame.

Ro3b
November 16th, 2006, 07:09 AM
All right! My '51 finally got delivered this morning and it's waiting for me at home. I guess it's been riding around in the back of a FedEx truck these last few days. This is going to be one long day at work.

warren0728
November 16th, 2006, 07:14 AM
rob....you don't look well...you might be contagious...better go home! ;)

ww

Ro3b
November 16th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Dude, you're right... it's like this involuntary muscular thing... my left arm keeps curving upward and my fingers start wiggling, and my right hand starts moving up and down. And I keep hearing this noise in my head: weedly weedly weedly wee... I'd better take the day off.

warren0728
November 16th, 2006, 08:48 AM
yep...better go home...it's not going to get any better! :D

ww

tremoloman
November 16th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Got my '51 intact - it sounds and plays like my old one, but I feel this is a little less refined than the previous '51. The frets are a little sharp, the neck backside seems a little less finished than my initial one. and the control plate is screwed in crooked. Mild complaints - bit still suprising to me since my other Squiers didn't suffer from this.

I feel funny saying this, but the build quality feels a little lower than the Floyd Rose SX I just bought. The SX had loose screws, but the intonation was spot on. My 51 took a bit of tweaking to get the action right.

I guess the variances in these guitars are drastic like everyone says. Either way I'm happy I purchased it! She's got a great vibe and sound and is a blast to play!

It's getting its 1st gig next Saturday night as well as the new SX. :) Pics and HOPEFULLY sound clips to follow! (If I can figure out the recorder in time to do live recordings)

Ro3b
November 17th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I think I may have gotten lucky with the one I got. The ends of the frets are a little sharp; when I get enough motivation going I'll gentle them down a little. But other than that the fit and finish are really nice, much better than my Squier strat.

All the praise that's been heaped on the '51 is true. $99 for one is an absurd bargain.

Hogfullofblues
November 18th, 2006, 04:00 PM
OK, count me in too. I just picked one up. I believe it will need a bit of tweaking, but everything works and it makes some pretty sweet tones. And it is just the twangy sort of thing I was looking for, but didn't think I could afford for a while. Whouda thunk such a thing for a hundred bucks?
I will be asking some techo questions on needed adjustments in the proper forum, however, I am pretty dang pleased with it so far.

Robert
November 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Glad you like the '51. I just ordered a new bridge for it from GFS. I'm gonna replace the nut too.

It sounds awesome this thing.

Ro3b
November 20th, 2006, 06:50 AM
It does indeed. Even with no effects, straight into my crappy little solid state practice amp. Of course I'm getting a huge urge to get a decent amp now -- that $99 was deceptive.

tremoloman
November 21st, 2006, 12:28 AM
After going over my new '51 it plays MUCH better than before. I forgot how much fun the twang can be with this guitar. Hell, it's got a ton more twang than my Squier Tele! SWEET axe!

Has anyone tried converting their '51 to a string-through setup? I'm very tempted to give it a go.

NPauly
November 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM
Has anyone tried converting their '51 to a string-through setup? I'm very tempted to give it a go.

A bunch of people over at the Squier '51 Modders forum have done the conversion to string-through and they all pretty much agree that there isn't a noticeable change in tone. The conversion does however make the strings feel a little more stiff and harder to bend. They all pretty much recommend either swapping the saddles for the proper Graph Techs or swapping the whole bridge for the GFS bridge. If it was me, I would go the GFS route since the new bridge is only about $10 to $15 and it apparently makes a big difference in cleaning up all the buzzes and rattles produced by the cheap stock bridge.

Just my 2 cents ...
-Nick

Tone2TheBone
November 21st, 2006, 09:23 AM
Ok now I want one but GC only has black ones and I want a blonde one and I can't order from MF because my wife will kill me and I still want the JV someday but I also want the Gibby R8 and my music room isn't started yet but I want the '51 cause I like toys and and and and.....

See what you guys do. :)

SuperSwede
November 21st, 2006, 11:09 AM

No no no.. you are the tremoloman! Install a bigsby trem!

stingx
November 21st, 2006, 08:32 PM
I would love to buy one of these guitars but I have yet to try one that doesn't have very sharp fret edges. I guess I could file them down but that sounds like work :)

tremoloman
November 23rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
No no no.. you are the tremoloman! Install a bigsby trem!I would LOVE to and have thought about it quite a bit, but dropping $200+ on a tremolo for a $99 guitar seems a little nuts to me.

If I could score a used one cheap, I'd be willing to try it. Maybe there is a place that sells knock offs of decent quality?

oldguy
November 23rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
Trem,
You can get them cheaper than that here, if you're interested, and the guy will answer questions personally if you e-mail or call.

http://www.wilburncustomshop.com/Parts/Bigsbys.html

Glenn

tremoloman
November 24th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Trem,
You can get them cheaper than that here, if you're interested, and the guy will answer questions personally if you e-mail or call.

http://www.wilburncustomshop.com/Parts/Bigsbys.html

GlennHmmmm... which one would fit a Squier '51 or a Squier Black & Chrome Tele? Now you got me thinking... ;)

SuperSwede
November 25th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Man, the ´51 with a bigsby would be WILD :D

GO for it T-man! (Or should we call you Mr. T? :D )

Ro3b
November 28th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Man, the ´51 with a bigsby would be WILD :D

GO for it T-man! (Or should we call you Mr. T? :D )

It is wild. Check this (http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=18849015) out.