PDA

View Full Version : NPD and a good home for a bad albatross!

FrankenFretter
February 12th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I've had a Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 for a while now, and I never did bond with it. I tried upgrading the speaker to a Jensen Mod, but that didn't make enough of a difference for me. The overdrive always sounded too much like a kazoo for my tastes. I tried to sell it on Craig's List a couple times, but everyone who came to try it out felt the same way I did, and I couldn't really blame them.

Fast forward to a couple days ago: I read CL almost daily, and I'd seen a Fuzz Face pedal on there several times, with the price dropping a little each time. The owner had modded the pedal with a build it yourself board with germanium transistors that he'd obtained from a forum friend in England. He'd also swapped the knobs for the vintage-style top hats used in the 1969 era FF pedals. Now, I don't know nearly as much about the Dallas Arbiter FF pedals as this guy does, but he had done a lot to make the pedal vintage-correct. In his latest ad, he'd stated that he'd consider trading for a small practice amp. I emailed him with an offer to trade the Peavey for the FF, and he agreed to come and try out the amph.

To cut my already long story a bit shorter, we were both happy to make the trade, and I now have (finally!) a fuzz pedal that I'm happy with. It sounds like a good vintage FF should sound, and that's what I've been searching for. I had recently purchased an Arctec Blender Fuzz/Distortion pedal in hopes of finding a good fuzz sound, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. Close, but not quite. If anyone is interested, I'll be putting that pedal up for sale quite soon.

I know the golden rule; pics or it didn't happen. Here you go!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TVYmWP2eakI/AAAAAAAAAsQ/nKKQx26Isqo/s800/100_2157.JPG

Robert
February 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Cool, a fuzz face is always good to have around!

FrankenFretter
February 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Yep, it sure is! I just tried it out with my Tele, and it's a completely different animal with single coils. It actually seems...fuzzier.

pictoratus
February 13th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Supposed to be one of the top fuzz pedals as far as sound from what I've read.

Good trade!

FrankenFretter
February 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Supposed to be one of the top fuzz pedals as far as sound from what I've read.

Good trade!

I had heard from several people after describing what I was after that either the Fuzz Face or a Big Muff Pi would be good choices. I'm happy with the FF.