PDA

View Full Version : Radiohead: The King of Limbs - New Album available Feb 19

R_of_G
February 14th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Radiohead have announced the release of their eighth LP The King of Limbs.

The album will be available Saturday February 19 as a digital download. As with their previous release In Rainbows, there is a high-end collectible package available in May with the physical cd, two vinyl discs and hundreds of pieces of artwork.

Though they have not kept the "pay what you want" policy of the In Rainbows digital release, the prices for the digital-only version seem quite reasonable ($9/$14 US depending on MP3 or WAV files).

Details available here: http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/

Radiohead has been in the studio on and off for quite awhile working on this one but there was never any definitive statement as to when they'd be done. Some interviews even suggested that what might result from these sessions might not be an album but some other kind of release(s). Now today comes the announcement that it is an album and it's done! I am now anxiously awaiting Saturday.

:dude

Eric
February 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I am now anxiously awaiting Saturday.
Why? Do you think it will suck or something?? :poke

I wonder if the $9 offering will include the service fees of last time. If yes, that could easily bump it past the normal price range. I never did completely grab hold of their last release, even though it was so well-received. I think I'd probably pick Hail to the Thief over In Rainbows just due to sheer familiarity.

Should be interesting.

R_of_G
February 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Why? Do you think it will suck or something?? :poke

Let's just say I'm pretty sure my Top 10 of 2011 will have only nine open slots come Saturday. :dude

I never did completely grab hold of their last release, even though it was so well-received. I think I'd probably pick Hail to the Thief over In Rainbows just due to sheer familiarity.

Should be interesting.

I see each consecutive release as the next step in their evolution. The live shows between albums are often the laboratory where new material is worked out. The 2002 tours provided a wealth of hints as to how Hail to the Thief would sound. 2006 tour had a lot what would become In Rainbows. They haven't played a whole lot of shows this time so I've less of an idea of what to expect.

I do like that they periodically post on their website some lists of things they're listening to around the studio/offices. Interesting to hear how some influence or another might manifest itself.

syo
February 14th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I pre-ordered the mp3 yesterday. Very much looking forward to the release.
A new Radiohead release is always an event for me. Only a few bands I feel that way about anymore.

R_of_G
February 18th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Pre-ordering has it's priviliges. They made it available for download today (a day early) to anyone who pre-ordered. Wanna guess what I'm listening to right now?

Eric
February 18th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Pre-ordering has it's priviliges. They made it available for download today (a day early) to anyone who pre-ordered. Wanna guess what I'm listening to right now?
I don't have to guess -- I know: a mix CD of Taylor Swift and Celine Dion.

R_of_G
February 18th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I don't have to guess -- I know: a mix CD of Taylor Swift and Celine Dion.

Shudder.

syo
February 19th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Alright R_of_G, what's your preliminary verdict? After a couple of listens I'm starting to connect with it. The first pass didn't thrill me but was ok. First impression was like a mix of The Eraser and In Rainbows (or maybe Celine Dion and Taylor Swift?).

Tig
February 19th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I've listened to the first half so far. Fairly typical dark moodiness.
Radiohead releases take several laps to sink in...

syo
February 19th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Radiohead releases take several laps to sink in...
Always, yes Tig.
It's interesting how the songs develop in my mind over time. Sometimes a song I didn't care so much for can become a favorite a year later.

R_of_G
February 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Alright R_of_G, what's your preliminary verdict? After a couple of listens I'm starting to connect with it. The first pass didn't thrill me but was ok. First impression was like a mix of The Eraser and In Rainbows (or maybe Celine Dion and Taylor Swift?).

Truthfully? So far (two listens) I don't much care for it.

I am sure the songs will grow on me. They're not bad songs, and some of the textures are quite nice but it feels so much more like a Thom Yorke solo album than a Radiohead album. That's not a bad thing in and of itself as I love The Eraser, but it was released as a Radiohead album and thus I expected something different.

Is Phil Selway even on this album? I hear much more drum machines/loop tracking than I do any actual drumming. I'm also rather disappointed by the lack of much in the way of guitar contributions on this album. Three excellent guitar players in this band, you'd think at least one track would provide some killer riffing. "Little by Little" has some pretty guitar figures on it, but nothing that makes me say "now that's why I listen to Radiohead."

Like I said, I am sure in time some of these songs will grow on me, but overall, this is not what I waited four years to hear.

Tig
February 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I am sure the songs will grow on me. They're not bad songs, and some of the textures are quite nice but it feels so much more like a Thom Yorke solo album than a Radiohead album.

Is Phil Selway even on this album? I hear much more drum machines/loop tracking than I do any actual drumming. I'm also rather disappointed by the lack of much in the way of guitar contributions on this album.

Like I said, I am sure in time some of these songs will grow on me, but overall, this is not what I waited four years to hear.

I share your observations as well now that I've listened to the complete album. I know it will grow on me, but I don't know how much.

R_of_G
February 19th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I share your observations as well now that I've listened to the complete album. I know it will grow on me, but I don't know how much.

I suspect that the songs I wind up liking will make their way into playlists but I can't foresee myself listening to this album much in its full-album context, which is a shame because it will be the first time I've experienced that with a Radiohead album.

I think I'd have embraced it more had it just been labelled a Thom Yorke effort. I loved The Eraser from the get-go because I had few expectations.

I've read several reviews where people are suggesting those of us who don't love it are like the people who hated Kid A and Amnesiac at first because they were more electronic than guitar oriented. I loved both of those albums from first listen. I'm not at all opposed to electronic music but at that time, it was something new for them, ground they'd previously only hinted at in bits and pieces.

The new album breaks no new ground. It's Radiohead in one of their comfort zones. I don't begrudge them that. I just don't understand the reviews that see this as another step foward for them when it seems a parallel move instead. As a Thom Yorke album, I'm sure I'll come to like most of it as I get to know the lyrics better.

Either way, should they tour again soon, I will be thrilled to see them again.

syo
February 20th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Truthfully? So far (two listens) I don't much care for it.

I am sure the songs will grow on me. They're not bad songs, and some of the textures are quite nice but it feels so much more like a Thom Yorke solo album than a Radiohead album.

Well, as I said, starting to connect with it. Where it ranks with other Radiohead albums for me remains to be seen (heard?) though. In Rainbows was initially a disappointment for me but I grew to like it, though it is far from being a favorite. This album seems even less special on first listen(s) but we'll see how it plays out over time.

I agree with your Thom Yorke solo album comment as well the lack of guitar contributions. I do miss the 3 guitar thing with Jonny ripping things up now and then.

R_of_G
February 20th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Well, as I said, starting to connect with it. Where it ranks with other Radiohead albums for me remains to be seen (heard?) though. In Rainbows was initially a disappointment for me but I grew to like it, though it is far from being a favorite. This album seems even less special on first listen(s) but we'll see how it plays out over time.

I agree with your Thom Yorke solo album comment as well the lack of guitar contributions. I do miss the 3 guitar thing with Jonny ripping things up now and then.

As I said earlier, I took to In Rainbows more quickly because I was familiar with some of those songs from some 2006 shows I had. Also, though much of In Rainbows is more laid back than it's predecessors, there's still a heavy use of guitars.

I think the best chance some of these songs have with me is once the band start playing live again. They play many songs differently live than they do recorded.