PDA

View Full Version : DVR or PVR

kiteman
February 15th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I've been wearing VCRs out from recordings on my security camera. Getting tired of replacing them so I looked at DVRs. I'm a little confused about them and not sure just what I need for the camera. They talk about TVs and subscriptions but I don't need all that. The camera (Swann) have the A/V cable with phono plugs so the hookups wouldn't be a problem.

Anyone know what I'm looking for?

Spudman
February 15th, 2011, 09:45 AM
If you hook up to a computer why don't you look into a 1 TB external hard drive. Those hold LOTS of data.

Monkus
February 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
+1 on the drive, alternatively you can save to the cloud.

kiteman
February 15th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks but I don't want to use my computer. Rather have a standalone unit, any suggestions?

I record overnight and while I'm gone during the day and it'll be locked in a steel desk. I had a camera stolen couple weeks ago and I found my VCR dead so I didn't get anything recorded. My fault about the camera though, it was within reach. This time it's way up there on my house. :)

ted s
February 16th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Have a 30gig 4 channel Pelco running at my fathers shop for 4 years now. This setup will loop in a week with medium frame rate.
4 channels in w/monitor out, painless setup nd dead nuts reliable. It just works.
Better selection available these days.

edit.. 30 gig like this one.
http://www.sourcesecurity.com/technical-details/cctv/recording/digital-recorders/pelco-dx1004-060.html

kiteman
February 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the link. :)

Ch0jin
February 17th, 2011, 01:02 AM
HAHAHAHAHA "dead nuts reliable" hahahaha. I'm so gunna steal that.. :)

anyway...as you were..

Spudman
February 17th, 2011, 09:02 AM
For the price of that Pelco you could buy 2 or 3 laptops.

kiteman
February 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I'm looking at cheaper models. :)

ted s
February 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM
The Pelco kinda fell from the sky, but yes.. normally not cheap.