PDA

View Full Version : Concerts you attend this year

Jimi75
February 16th, 2011, 06:26 AM
The summer is coming (hopefully) and I am looking forward to seeing some cool concerts.
So far I got tickets for:
Bon Jovi
Black Country Communion
DreamTheater (German Progfest)
Journey

How about you guys.....anything planned already?

Eric
February 16th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Yellow Matter Custard in a couple of weeks. That's all so far. I went to a ton of shows in 2009 and am a little bit burned out on it, but I expect I'll get back into it eventually.

R_of_G
February 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Sleigh Bells in April. Nothing else on the horizon for now.

Beerman
February 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Got tickets to Rush on June 10. We have our Jazz and Heritage Festival in April and May and lookee who's coming! (http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/) It's usually packed and a busy time for my business so it's hard for me to go as I sometimes have to work those weekends in spring. But, I may get to see Bon Jovi, Robert Plant, Cyndi Lauper, Greg Allman and of course, tons of local, New Orleans talent.
As for the big boys of music, I don't even know who's coming our way past early June. I know the economy hurt lots of tours and only the brave venture out.

kidsmoke
February 16th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Quite a festival lineup there, Beerman. hope you get to go.

Typically don't do to many of the big gigs. The crowds and the cost usually dissuade me. I'd rather see them in the theaters individually.
Saw Scofield two weeks ago(a+), Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys last week (A++, Beerman, you likely know those guys, Broussard is amazing) Ladysmith Black Mambazo this weekend. Dave Alvin in a couple weeks, that guy is sick. SOOO fast. Planning on robyn Hitchock, Ozomatli, Amos Lee, Ray LaMontagne, Bruce Cockburn, Bettye LaVette, Booker, Cropper and Dunn, Leo Kottke. We'll pick up more of the bands as they hit the theaters in town.
With Pitchfork and Loolapalooza in town every year, the opportunity exists for similar lineups to that jazz fest.

Katastrophe
February 16th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I have to go see a show of some type for my Fundamentals of Music class this semester. Hopefully, someone good is gonna be playing in Houston in March that I can go see. One of my classmates saw Underoath for his requirement.

The instructor prefers that we catch either a Jazz or symphony concert, so we get out of our comfort zone a little. It's tough, but I think I might do well on this assignment. ;)

Ch0jin
February 16th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I got this next weekend... Soudwave (http://www.soundwavefestival.com/lineup)

If you like your punk and metal, I dare you to click the lineup ;) Hint, lineup includes; Iron Maiden, Slayer, Primus, BFMV, Monster Magnet, Pennywise and LOADS more..56 Bands in total. It's going to be one hell of a day :) Also really keen to check out One Day as a Lion, the Zack de la Rocha and Jon Theodore thing who somehow got a headline slot on the power of their 5 track ep.... I hope they have some more songs stashed away......

Brian Krashpad
February 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Nothing planned in advance. I hope that the annual post-Halloween Boo-Fest will have one of my bands back, as we had a grand time playing in 2010, and I'm sure there'll be local scene bands there that I'll enjoy seeing.

sunvalleylaw
February 16th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I don't have anything planned yet, but am looking for something in Portland or Seattle to take my wife to. Something she would like.

marnold
February 16th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Joe B. next month! I'd love to see Rush, especially since they are doing Moving Pictures in its entirety.

poodlesrule
February 16th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Well, we got free tickets to the Cajun & Zydeco Mardi Gras Ball, in RI, next month!
We try to spend two days up at the Lowell Folk Festival every year, always discovering new artists there... a great feature!
Bayou-and-Boogie Festival in Rehoboth, MA, early summer

Not much mega-rock music there, and not very guitar-centric either.

street music
February 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Going to see Arlo Guthrie next month, Justin Moore and others planned in the coming months.

Beerman
February 16th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Joe B. next month! I'd love to see Rush, especially since they are doing Moving Pictures in its entirety.
I've seen them about a dozen times and never, ever a bad show. Can't wait to see them again as it's been almost 4 years. They are so tight, it is amazing how good they sound live and they still have fun doing it.

Well, we got free tickets to the Cajun & Zydeco Mardi Gras Ball, in RI, next month!
We try to spend two days up at the Lowell Folk Festival every year, always discovering new artists there... a great feature!
Bayou-and-Boogie Festival in Rehoboth, MA, early summer

Not much mega-rock music there, and not very guitar-centric either.
For a home grown N'Awlins boy, I hope you enjoy the Zydeco band. Are they from N.O.? Most of the local bands stay home during the Gras. I think if we leave during Mardi Gras, our blood boils or something.

Tig
April 18th, 2011, 02:17 AM
As much as I love music, I rarely go to concerts. I don't enjoy crowds, drunks and the over the top ticket prices. Maybe going to clubs and concerts (hundreds) the first half of my life makes it not as special anymore.

However, Mrs. Tig and I will be seeing Buddy Guy in June, House of Blues. I like smaller venues. :thumbsup
We'll be 4th row in the balcony, which is better than standing on the floor for hours.

deeaa
April 18th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I go to concerts either by accident maybe once a year or so, and every three years or so maybe visit a festival. That kinda suffices for me live music-wise.
I do go to see my friend's two bands every time they're playing within reasonable distance, but that's more for the party and backstage fun than actually just see the bands.

I really don't much listen to any other music than what I or my friends make, or like guys from here etc. anyway. I don't listen to records very much, basically only when I'm driving, and only on longer trips. I dunno when else I would have the time, energy and the place to listen to anything. The world is so filled with noise, speech and whatever all the time anyway, I don't need music to add to that; if I have to walk or cycle somewhere I take it as an opportunity to enjoy silence, rather.

Like today I myself received a mix of a song we did with a friend; listened to that twice, then I listened to a couple of my friend's tunes from their upcoming album a few times over, and later today I'll have to check out a couple of mixes with a keen ear. No way I could squeeze in any other music even if I wanted.

Live music...since going to see a big name band costs the same as a nice guitar, it's an easy choice for me to go for a new guitar instead. And seeing a not-so good band in a bar is just a waste of time you could spend drinking more cheaply at home :-)

Jimi75
April 18th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I'll have to add B.B. King with Ana Popovic being his support :-)

guitarhack
April 18th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Can't afford the big shows anymore, but I get to emcee many local shows, and some of them are actually pretty good. The radio station where I work also sponsors an annual battle of the bands which really is fun, with several different genres represented.

sunvalleylaw
April 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Might attend some or most of this local concert series: http://www.sunvalleycenter.org/events/performances.html

Particularly interested in the Avett Bros, and Franti is fun. The "unknown" band they bring in every year is usually really great, and a nice family price typically, so will probably hit that. Looking for a bigger show to bring my wife to, but haven't found it yet.

marnold
April 18th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I saw Joe Bonamassa in February, but that likely will be the only concert I see this year. This is, in no small part, due to the fact that very few people I'd care to see come to Green Bay. I also saw Greg Hahn a few weeks ago, but he's a comedian. Good stuff.

tunghaichuan
April 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Hurray!

Looks like David Lindley is coming back to Denver after a 8-year hiatus.

Can't wait to see him again, he always puts on a great show.

Eric
April 18th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I will be seeing Tommy Emmanuel on May 11th -- this will be my second time seeing him.

MAXIFUNK
April 18th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I go to the Playboy Jazz Festival almost every year.

Cashing in favors to see Sade and will be taking my daughter to go see Prince and Usher.
If The Time does go on tour as reported I will not miss that one.

R_of_G
April 26th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Seeing Sleigh Bells this Friday in St. Petersburg.