PDA

View Full Version : What is your weapon?

Robert
February 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Can only choose one!

sunvalleylaw
February 16th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I like all my guitars. I can't choose one. I have a primary, or number one, but it is not my only weapon. Can't answer!

NWBasser
February 16th, 2011, 03:37 PM
As it should seem obvious to those around here that know me, it's not a guitar!

My number one go-to is my fretless Clement bass.

Something magical about it. I can play much better on that one than anything else.

Robert
February 16th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to discriminate, NWBasser! Of course any kind of bass is welcome in the poll! :thumbsup

hubberjub
February 16th, 2011, 04:05 PM
My Heritage 535 with Duncan Phat Cats is my current go-to six-string but I actually play pedal steel for about 80% of the gigs I do. In that case, my Sierra Crown D-10 is my go-to.

piebaldpython
February 16th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Pettingill Frying Pan Special-001 lap steel in Open E with two bad-*ss humbuckers from BG Pups......the Lizard in the neck and the Hella-Bucker in the bridge.

Eric
February 16th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I keep trying other guitars, but I keep coming back to a Les Paul. Maybe that'll change in the future, but right now that's my weapon of choice.

Katastrophe
February 16th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Strat, with a humbucker in the bridge, wired for "quack" in positions 2 and 4. In other words, my MIM Standard Strat! It really is incredibly versatile.

pictoratus
February 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM
My go to is a Peavey Genny EXP Triple Single. Love that 12" radius neck!

Ch0jin
February 16th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Voted "Other" I keep re igniting my love for my Maton BB1200 every time I start playing it again. I think, at least for this week, semi-hollow's are really my thing.

marnold
February 16th, 2011, 06:46 PM
My avatar: my Jackson Dinky DK2M. It is the guitar manifestation of Rev. Rawk.

Can't vote via Tapatalk. N.B. I'm giving a test right now. :)

Now that I'm home, I chose "pointy shredder" although I'm not entirely sure that's accurate. Headstock is pointy, but beyond that. . . Prolly a "superstrat" choice would be more appropriate.

Commodore 64
February 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM
My '94 MiM Squier Series Tele. At rehearsal, it's all I play. I take other guitars too, but I always end up playing that tele. At home I play everything a little bit.

t_ross33
February 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Something always brings me back to my Modified Vintage Modified Squier Tele (or as someone put it - a Warmoth neck with some Squier parts - lol!).

Spudman
February 16th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Damn you Robert. How can you insist on just ONE? :spank I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E!

How about a Line6 Variax? That should cover everything including banjos. :cool:
Otherwise, it would be a Strat for me (damn you for making me choose just one, arrrgh):mad

FusedGrooves
February 16th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I voted 335 style although the Yamaha SA2200 should have it's own category :)

syo
February 16th, 2011, 10:55 PM
That would currently be my Hell Zero Dot (Hell, what do you expect?!) :D. Although 2 weeks ago it would have been the Hell Bender but I'm getting into having a trem model at the moment.

In case I am perceived to be biased by mentioning my own guitars, then I would have to go with my Gretsch Hot Rod.

wingsdad
February 16th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Despite having amassed a versatile quiver of almost all of the above, and others not in the poll -- 12-String Electric, 12-String Acoustic, mando, uke, reso (unless counted as a 'slide' guitar) -- I voted Stratocaster, since my #1 go-to weapon since the day I got it, 9/24/81, is my '81 Fender STRAT, and it always will be.

sunvalleylaw
February 17th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Ok, ok. I pick my strat. I have always said it is my number one, and it still is. I still don't want to pick though.

Jimi75
February 17th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Currently it's my 1976 Strat. It beats all guitars I have played so far tonewise and the playability is awesome, too. Due to the Hardtail I can get a wide range of sounds, also some twangy Tele stuff, but can also switch into Hendrix & SRV territory within a second.

FrankenFretter
February 17th, 2011, 08:28 AM
That would currently be my Hell Zero Dot (Hell, what do you expect?!) :D. Although 2 weeks ago it would have been the Hell Bender but I'm getting into having a trem model at the moment.

In case I am perceived to be biased by mentioning my own guitars, then I would have to go with my Gretsch Hot Rod.

Hmmm...have we seen the Zero Dot, Syo? Is that the semi-hollow?

Like Eric, I keep coming back to my LPs. I love all my guitars, and I play them all, but the favorites are the Agile LP and the Epi 60s Tribute LP. There's something magical in that heavy mahogany...

Tig
February 17th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I chose Les Paul since my Washburn is 90% based on it, only better!

UPDATE:
I grab my Hell 2 tele style guitar the most, with the Reverend Club King P-90 a close second.

mapka
February 17th, 2011, 11:51 AM
My go to is my Telie but close second is my Hagstrom Swede.

Eric
February 17th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I love all my guitars, and I play them all, but the favorites are the Agile LP and the Epi 60s Tribute LP. There's something magical in that heavy mahogany...
What became of your magnet-swapping experiment, FF? Did you switch out the Agile to A2? What were the results?

mark wein
February 17th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Lately it's been back to my Suhr Classic:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/markwein/AST%201-7-11%20Blue%20Beet/168765_490688607689_741052689_6105610_536077_n.jpg

I look like I'm going to club you with it and eat your brains though;

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/markwein/AST%201-7-11%20Blue%20Beet/168661_490690237689_741052689_6105672_150622_n.jpg

Perfect Stranger
February 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Weapon is an appropriate moniker.....since I fight with it all the time. It usually wins... :(

Robert
February 17th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Lately it's been back to my Suhr Classic:

I look like I'm going to club you with it and eat your brains though;

Nice STARE! :D

FrankenFretter
February 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM
What became of your magnet-swapping experiment, FF? Did you switch out the Agile to A2? What were the results?

At the moment, the Agile has overwound covered pickups, A2 in the neck, A4 in the bridge. The same pickups that are in the magnet swapping "tutorial" (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/16843-Magnet-swapping-photos-and-explanation) I posted here actually. As soon as I get a better soldering iron, I'll put the GFS VEH zebras back in, which have the identical magnet setup now. Swapping magnets rules!

markb
February 17th, 2011, 07:48 PM
At present a '94 ash veneered US Strat with two of its original single coils and a DiMarzio super Distortion for strat at the bridge. No tone control on the middle pickup for extra twang and brighter in between positions. I've had this one for 12 years now and I'm finally happy with it.

kiteman
February 18th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I voted strat because I have a strat and a super strat. My Carvin DC127 is my go to guitar.

Eric
February 18th, 2011, 05:16 AM
At the moment, the Agile has overwound covered pickups, A2 in the neck, A4 in the bridge. The same pickups that are in the magnet swapping "tutorial" (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/16843-Magnet-swapping-photos-and-explanation) I posted here actually. As soon as I get a better soldering iron, I'll put the GFS VEH zebras back in, which have the identical magnet setup now. Swapping magnets rules!
Gotcha. So it's still sort of in progress? I was wondering if it made the difference you thought/hoped it would.

oldguy
February 18th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I voted LP, but the Roadhouse strats would be right up there also. I actually prefer the neck on the Strat, but for fat, full humbucker tone I gotta have the Agile to pull it off.

guitarhack
February 18th, 2011, 06:28 AM
It's my DeArmond M-75, which is a Les Paul style guitar, but since I don't have a Gibson. . .

jpfeifer
February 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
My current weapon of choice is my Hamer Newport. I am trying to put my finger on the key reason why I keep coming back to this guitar and I think it is basically this: Tone-wise this guitar seems to be like the love child from the relationship between a Telecaster, Gretch, and ES-335. It can cover some of the same tones as all of these guitars but not sounding exactly like any of them. Something about this combination of sounds keeps me coming back to this guitar, not to mention that it plays like a dream and is very light, and has a Bigsby which makes it even more fun to play. It's not a perfect guitar (sustain-wise, it's not the same as a solidbody) but for some reason it always inspires me to play. It seems to be well suited to the sounds that I like to get. It can get twangy like a Tele, fat & bluesy like a 335, or rock-a-billy sounding like a Gretch.

http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=384

Jipes
February 21st, 2011, 04:29 AM
After playing diverses japanes copies (Ibanez, Rokkoman, Aria) I got a Gibson 335 and played it for more than ten years loved it, got then a Strat 57 Reissue and love it even more because of diversity of tone and great playability and then I got a Telecaster Esquire and Bang :thwap:happy:rockya got crazy about the roughness and the amazing "Twang" tone of it. Specially great when playing in a large band with a full horn section :thumbsup

Finally got last month a Thinline 72 Custom Telecaster and love it even more :dude

To resume from humbuckers I went to single coil and back to humbuckers

Am I just dumb :rollover:)

Jimi75
February 21st, 2011, 05:43 AM
After playing diverses japanes copies (Ibanez, Rokkoman, Aria) I got a Gibson 335 and played it for more than ten years loved it, got then a Strat 57 Reissue and love it even more because of diversity of tone and great playability and then I got a Telecaster Esquire and Bang :thwap:happy:rockya got crazy about the roughness and the amazing "Twang" tone of it. Specially great when playing in a large band with a full horn section :thumbsup

Finally got last month a Thinline 72 Custom Telecaster and love it even more :dude

To resume from humbuckers I went to single coil and back to humbuckers

Am I just dumb :rollover:)

Take a look at the choice of guitars you made. You are clever through and through! It's normal and also very good that our tastes undergo certain changes, because it keeps our lives as musicians exciting.

Jipes
February 21st, 2011, 06:59 AM
Thanks Jimi, I love to hear that I'm getting clever :AOK

To be more serious it's true that my taste have changed and I guess I'm refining my real needs for an axe, It has to be solid and reliable with great tone and a lovely neck. No needs for fancy booster or 18th pickups combination :cool:

Brian Krashpad
February 21st, 2011, 07:35 AM
I put Les Paul, but it's really a toss-up between Tele and LP.

I have 3 Teles, 2 Fenders and a Frankentele. I have 2 actual Gibson LP's (Classic and Studio DC), but a coulple of other 2-humbucker mahogany guitars which don't look just like LP's but are close sonically (DeArmond Jet Star, Fernandes Ravelle). I also have 2 mahogany flat-top P-90 guitars which are not Gibsons, although one is shaped like a Gibby DC, which have P-90's and are thus in the LP Special ballpark (Hamer Special and Schecter Tempest Special).

MAXIFUNK
February 23rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
Well if it had to be just one guitar my HSS American Special Strat but it would be hard never to have my LP now that I am HOOKED for life.

deeaa
February 24th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I put SG although I have never even owned one. But if I had to choose any factory guitar I could not mod that heavily, I suppose I would go get me an SG.
Of factory guitars, that'd be small and handy and I'd know I can get what I like out of it. I'd mod the neck pup into twin single mode though. Or alternatively maybe a chambered Les Paul.

IF heavy modding is allowed, I'd get a strat which I'd re-shape and put in a proper pickup instead of those weenies, plus some other mods.

But, yeah, one for everything out of all basic 'classic' models---probably SG.

kidsmoke
February 24th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I chose Les Paul since my Washburn is 90% based on it, only better!

+1 :thumbsup

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/Idol%20worship/P1070235.jpg

I couldn't decide since I also LOVE my 335 style guitar, but ultimately, if I'm walking out the door and can bring one guitar, it's the idol, with the split coils and a cube, I can sound like just about anything.

Ironically, I've really only been playing my Larrivee acoustic lately, as I've got a open mic coming up,and I'm trying to channel me some Amos Lee, but lets face it, we're all about the screaming solo's here most of the time

Eric
February 24th, 2011, 09:23 AM
but lets face it, we're all about the screaming solo's here most of the time
Heck yes. My frequency of screaming solos (and number of guitars and amphs that can produce said screaming solos) has increased exponentially since joining here.

Waylanderau
February 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Pointy shredder guitar for me :D Jackson RR FTW!

steevc
June 16th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I put Les Paul although my Gordon Smith GS2 is more like a double cut-away Jnr. It's my only electric. I go through phases of playing my Dean acoustic more.

scruff
June 17th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to discriminate, NWBasser! Of course any kind of bass is welcome in the poll! :thumbsup

Well heck, if we're including basses...

riverrick
June 17th, 2011, 09:46 AM
That's a really tough one....but for me it's my Gretsch 6120 RHH.

Monkus
June 24th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Mahogany PRS Standard ... the babe of choice

Meritone Music
September 24th, 2011, 04:59 PM
love Strats and have a few (best ones I own are from the 70s...) also love Jazzmasters, like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEIagtnGMmA

cebreez
September 28th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Early 80's Peavey T-60 !!! Love the feel and versatility and the neck is just HOME! The only mods are vintage wound pickups and gibson speed knobs.

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z326/Cebreez/Instruments%20and%20Gear/Amps%20and%20Effects/0914111342a.jpg

Brian Krashpad
September 29th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Early 80's Peavey T-60 !!! Love the feel and versatility and the neck is just HOME! The only mods are vintage wound pickups and gibson speed knobs.

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z326/Cebreez/Instruments%20and%20Gear/Amps%20and%20Effects/0914111342a.jpg

Except for the mods, yours is a dead ringer for my Theresa-- same color, same vintage, maple board.

Those pup covers aren't Gibson, where'd they come from? Also, did you do the pup swap? It's rare to see a T-60 with non-original pickups, especially from the era when those would've been toasters rather than rails.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/20/71021519_a6a90ee6d3_o.jpg

cheapgtrs
October 19th, 2011, 10:22 PM
96 strat for me.

Commodore 64
October 26th, 2011, 09:46 AM
After my last rehearsal, I'm probably gonna play my Samick jazzmaster style guitar with P90s at an upcoming gig. Everyone keeps telling me how great that guitar sounds, and I gotta say, I dig the P90s. I'll also take my tele, because I love it, but I'll be darned if my lowly Samick isn't acting like a fine instrument. Here's a shot of them both (most of you have already seen this).

http://www.lucky-cricket.com/files/Samick_jm_and%20tele.JPG

Commodore 64
October 31st, 2011, 09:16 AM
First ever gig is in the books. Took both guitars pictured above. We did 3.5 hours, and I only used the Samick for one song. I just always end up back with the Tele, because it feels right and does eveything I want it to do.

Eric
October 31st, 2011, 09:25 AM
First ever gig is in the books. Took both guitars pictured above. We did 3.5 hours, and I only used the Samick for one song. I just always end up back with the Tele, because it feels right and does eveything I want it to do.
Cool! 3.5 hours? That's a lot of playing. How'd it go?

Brian Krashpad
October 31st, 2011, 10:18 AM
Cool! 3.5 hours? That's a lot of playing. How'd it go?

^This!

Pics?

Commodore 64
October 31st, 2011, 11:31 AM
Our band is layed out thusly:
Jim: Band Leader, mainly keyboards, also bass, and guitar, and vocals.
Other Jim: Drums. Very good, tasteful and keeps great time.
Harry: Guitar and Bass, 50/50. Oldest member of the band. Played bass for Frankie Yankovic back in the day.
Jared: Bass and Sax. FANTASTIC Sax player.
Kelly: Vocals, Keyboard, Bass, Guitar. Great singer.
Tim: Vocals, a little bit of guitar.
Me: Vocals, guitar.

It went very well from a playing standpoint. Now, we did have chord charts, on music stands, which I understand is a big faux pas. I need them on about 1/3 of our songs, another 1/3 I need to glance at it before the song starts, and the other 1/3 I have down cold. There were times when one or more of us missed a key change or bridge, but we have 7 people, so we were able to power through. Nothing disastrous.

The crowd, such as it was, was a bit cold. Only 1 couple danced to any slow song (When a Man Loves A Woman, You Send Me). A few people came out and boogied for the Elvis Medley (Blue Suede Shoes and Hound Dog). There were not many people there most of the time. Ostensibly, it was a Halloween Party and an Eagles Club. I really had no idea what to expect. At one point, in our second set, there were a LOT of people there. But then we announced the winner of the 50/50 raffle and 90% of the people left. Seriously. It was ridiculous.

When we did get any applause, it was after "jam" songs. We did an Evil Ways/Light My Fire Medley where we traded solos for a long time that went over really well. Also did a Buffalo Springfield Medley, (For What It's Worth/Mr. Soul) which had an extended jam. And we got the most applause from the 1 original song we did, a super simple song in G, which consequently was my first solo break of the night. It was really freaky, I didn't even realize what I was playing. At one point, I thought. "Holy Sh!t that came out of my guitar, and it actually sounded pretty good".

We totally nailed Somebody to Love, we have a good female singer and Harry just really has the lead bits on that song down cold. Really awesome.

First set, I couldn't hear my vocals and I had 3 songs to sing (Bad Moon Rising, Brown Eyed Girl, and Monster Mash). I had to sing Monster Mash, and one of the keyboards was way wrong on the chord changes(right chords, wrong timing), and the band followed, so I kinda had to wing that one. Couldn't really hear myself anyways. Last set, I forgot the second verse for The Last Time so I just sang the first one again.

Another highlight was Rainy Night in Georgia, excellent sax solo in that one and we nailed all the bridges, etc.

Eric
October 31st, 2011, 11:40 AM
Sounds like a successful first outing. I'm slightly amazed that you ever manage to coordinate practices with a 7-person outfit.

Anyway, congrats on your first real gig. I'd love to do that someday.

Commodore 64
October 31st, 2011, 12:01 PM
It's tough. We average 1 rehearsal every 1.5 months.

I realized on Saturday that it also limits the potential places we could gig. We had a TON of equipment. We could never open for another band, or play after another band. Took 90 minutes to set up and 60 minutes to tear down and pack up. 1 minivan, 2 SUVs, and 2 cars FULL of gear. That's the double edged sword as it were. We have a sweet PA system, floor stands for the big PA speakers, several floor monitors (which we did not hook up for lack of space), a Peavey 400w bass amp, that also outputs to an enormous old Fender 2 x 15 cab. Mics, mic stands, 2 guitar trees, 6 guitar stands, I mean, a sick amount of gear. Harry brought 7 guitars (lol) he took 3 home before the gig though, thankfully, 3 keyboards, keyboard amps, guitar amps, 2 rack processor thingies for god knows what. I just play my tele through a tuner pedal, a Lovepedal AMp50 and my Pro Jr., but even then I have 2 guitars and I also brought my Peavey Classic 30 for back-up (left that out in the minivan though).

NWBasser
October 31st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hey C64, congrats on the gig!

That's sort of how it goes with crowds, sometimes you'll sound like crap and the crowd is cheering and fully into the show and other times you're on fire and they just stand back and yawn. Once in a while it all comes together for a night that you'll never forget.

Sounds like a lot of fun though.

deeaa
October 31st, 2011, 12:29 PM
That sounds like a normal amount of equipment...but there's many of you so it should not be a problem.

I just got a memory trip of our gigs in the past...six of us...drumset, pa with two huge peacetime tops and two subs...amp rack with poweramps, crossovers, power...four monitor wedges...two big cases for cables etc...mixer...DX rack with 6 compressor channels, two TX boxes...keyboard and stand...bass rig with 2x15"...two Marshall rigs one with 2x12 one with 4x10"...box of microphones, half a dozen stage lights, toolboxes and Michael and light stands...six guitars in all...usually took over 2 hours to set up, one to soundcheck etc ..but we could pack it up in half hour. And somehow we managed to squeeze it all in a full-size Chevy van and also travel in it...I still wonder how we did it...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Eric
October 31st, 2011, 01:03 PM
I realized on Saturday that it also limits the potential places we could gig. We had a TON of equipment. We could never open for another band, or play after another band.
It's funny, that whole thing. The last few weeks, I've been playing with this other electric guitarist who's really awesome at this semi-regular thing I play at for my former church. It's the first time I've ever played with another 'real' electric guitarist (the others always played their electrics like acoustics), and while it opens up tons of things, it takes a lot more time for the band to get in a groove. I can only imagine what it's like with 7 people. That's the thing with more people: it gives you way more options and opportunities, but it takes a lot more time to coordinate and sync up that many moving parts.

NWBasser
October 31st, 2011, 01:42 PM
...it takes a lot more time to coordinate and sync up that many moving parts.

I think the term "herding cats" comes to mind!

sixstringdrug
May 4th, 2012, 08:27 PM
No matter what I do, its all about the humbuckers for me. And I have considered harming myself every day since I had to sell my LP for food. Now I live every breath saving to buy it back, All my axes have bucker's but none compare to my beloved lost gibby!

deeaa
May 4th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Buckers, yeah...at least bridge bucker :-) I've been toying with an idea of getting an LP again too, but I just can't find good ones and they're too pricey. If I came across a chambered and pretty one super cheap I might go for it again.

Sniffy
October 30th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Got to be my Epiphone LP custom, I put some new pups in it and changed nearly all the hardware! It may not be a gibson but I loves it!

player
October 30th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Voted "Other" I keep re igniting my love for my Maton BB1200 every time I start playing it again. I think, at least for this week, semi-hollow's are really my thing.same here with my strat coming in as a second fiddle as it were.go to is my semi Wildwood depending on the project at hand.I never count out any of the four guitars I have.

ndes1
December 18th, 2012, 08:53 PM
My Suhr Standard....chambered mahogany body & neck, quilted AAAAA top (fireburst) s-s-h config. single coil silencing system, tremol-no, coil tapped HB, blower switch. I get can a strat quack and a LP roar. Wish I could afford about 6 vintage guitars, but this covers most sounds I want to get. I know Robert uses a Suhr classic sometimes. They are just fine to the last detail

Tig
December 19th, 2012, 07:21 PM
My Suhr Standard....chambered mahogany body & neck, quilted AAAAA top (fireburst) s-s-h config. single coil silencing system, tremol-no, coil tapped HB, blower switch. I get can a strat quack and a LP roar. Wish I could afford about 6 vintage guitars, but this covers most sounds I want to get. I know Robert uses a Suhr classic sometimes. They are just fine to the last detail

Certainly a great all around guitar that would be hard to beat. Further up the thread, Mark Wein is showing his number one that he uses for gigs.

Welcome to The Fret! Feel free to drop by the Fret Players section (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php/13-The-Fret-Players) and introduce yourself.

NWBasser
December 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM
A bit of a change-up for me now that I'm playing in the jazz-fusion band.

I now mostly play my Clement fretless. It's quite a treat to play all the tunes on fretless.

Eric
December 21st, 2012, 11:42 AM
A bit of a change-up for me now that I'm playing in the jazz-fusion band.

I now mostly play my Clement fretless. It's quite a treat to play all the tunes on fretless.
Cool. When did that happen? Is that your only active band right now?

Brian Krashpad
December 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM

And what would such a "Clement" thingy look like?

:AOK

Eric
December 21st, 2012, 12:46 PM
And what would such a "Clement" thingy look like?
Here's my guess:

http://www.uglybassplayer.com/sites/default/files/pictures/1005652_clement%20bass.jpg

Squint really hard.

Brian Krashpad
December 21st, 2012, 02:28 PM
Here's my guess:

http://www.uglybassplayer.com/sites/default/files/pictures/1005652_clement%20bass.jpg

Squint really hard.

Ah. So, a neck-through, P/J pups, Jazz body.

I'm guessing here.

:socool

NWBasser
December 21st, 2012, 02:38 PM
Ah. So, a neck-through, P/J pups, Jazz body.

I'm guessing here.

:socool

All correct except the neck-through part.

Details are an ash body with spalted maple top, Nordstrand P/J pickups, Bartolini NMBT preamp, and Hipshot hardware.

I've probably written about this bass before. It's my go-to-my-grave-with-me bass.

Brian Krashpad
December 21st, 2012, 02:40 PM
All correct except the neck-through part.

Details are an ash body with spalted maple top, Nordstrand P/J pickups, Bartolini NMBT preamp, and Hipshot hardware.

I've probably written about this bass before. It's my go-to-my-grave-with-me bass.

Ah, those stripes on the body fooled me.

Now, we needs to see your bass, sir!

NWBasser
December 21st, 2012, 02:46 PM

I posted about it a while ago. I quit The Mediocres because I was getting too bored playing two or three note songs. I could hardly stay awake for practices. Plus, it seemed that nobody was listening to me about song selection, arrangements, gigs, and other matters.

So, I found this new band called Portrait that does sort of jazz fusion - George Benson (way cool guitar stuff), Steely Dan, Chicago (way cool bass parts), and old Santana.

They really like my bass playing and it's a very positive band atmosphere where I have a lot of input on things like song arrangements.

We'll be going into the studio next month to record a demo and I'll share that when it's done. It's all done as instrumentals with the drummer's wife doing the vocal parts with a viola.

The guitarist, Wayne, is very good. He's a treat to listen to while I zing out my bass parts.

NWBasser
December 21st, 2012, 02:49 PM
Ah, those stripes on the body fooled me.

Now, we needs to see your bass, sir!

This thread has it:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/20688-Fretless-desire-indeed

ronbo
March 4th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Torn between my Hell No2 and my Reverend Rick Vito. Both play amazingly well, both sound great clean and overdriven, the Hell really gets it when I want to play rockabilly or Texas-style blues, the Vito takes when I want more OD bite or for playing slide.

Brian Krashpad
January 28th, 2014, 08:04 AM
A couple years ago, I answered a toss-up between Les Paul and Telecaster. It's more accurate to say that I have a pretty big available group from which to choose, though, and that's even more true now than then.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2831/11256502776_ffe2cf4a59_b.jpg

Jipes
January 28th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Woah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Grand Vizier
January 28th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Once upon a time I would have said my Fender but but the one I go to these days is my Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, best used guitar I have brought & very versatile.
Still have a soft spot for my '98 AM Standard though.

kidsmoke
January 29th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Hey Crash...at the risk of thread veer...is that black tele with the mini a 52RI hot Rod???

Brian Krashpad
March 27th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Hey Crash...at the risk of thread veer...is that black tele with the mini a 52RI hot Rod???

Oops, didn't see this question before! The black Tele is a Frankentele predating the Fender '52 RI Hot Rod's introduction, and although it does have the same Seymour Duncan mini as a neckbucker, I picked it up for about a tenth of what the Hot Rod would cost. It's a total beater that a bud of mine built, and then loaned to his son, who "relic'd" it the "hard way" by literally battering the thing onstage in his terrible poser guylinergothpopmetal band, before his dad rescued and reclaimed it.

kidsmoke
March 27th, 2014, 10:31 AM
thanks for catching it. I was on the hunt for a tele. Had a lead on a RI with the mini bucker. Seemed like a nice guitar. I did find a true blue tele though. Jury is out on wether I'll keep it or not. Built by a neighbor of yours, crash. Ron Kirn in Jacksonville. Barn Burner. 11#!!! Kirn handwound pickups. Massive neck. Nice guitar but I don't know. I just love humbuckers.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/Kirn%20Barn%20Buster/photo1_zps1a7cf01c.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/tiokimo/media/Kirn%20Barn%20Buster/photo1_zps1a7cf01c.jpg.html)

Brian Krashpad
March 27th, 2014, 02:02 PM
That's pretty! I don't get up to Jax often enough now that my parents moved away. Though I do still have a brother-in-law and his family up there, as well as an internet cancer buddy up there who owns a funky clothing store downtown, whom I haven't met irl.