PDA

View Full Version : The what sounds good over these chords thread.

sunvalleylaw
February 16th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Basic chord progression is A9 and E7, bridge goes to D7 E 7 C D G. (no real room for fills or solos in the bridge anyway) What sounds good? D Major with some notes from E major when it goes to the E7?

Eric
February 16th, 2011, 09:27 PM
This isn't the answer you're looking for, but just play the chords and sing something you'd like to hear over the chords. Figure out what that is on the guitar. That's what I'd do, anyway.

sunvalleylaw
February 16th, 2011, 09:30 PM
That's ultimately what it comes down to. And a good approach. I just like to get a little road map to expedite the hunt and peck whilst I find those notes though. But I will do just what you said and do some singing along and see what I come up with.

Eric
February 16th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I would imagine you could also use the A major scale in most spots in the song.

deeaa
February 18th, 2011, 01:24 AM
You're speaking in a language I don't understand. Major who? :-) I wonder if he's related to General Failure who keeps reading my hard drive from now and then, LOL...But from those chords I recognize by name, I'd be starting on the middle strings on 4th and 5th fret and playing a mostly pentatonic pattern with 1/2 step down notes added, then go to 9th uppers and then 11th mids and pentatonics to add with some notes I think are called minor notes. Beats me. I greatly suck at this kind of stuff as I only play by ear. Hell I can barely read a tab :-) like when I was finding out how to play Hallowed be Thy Name for our cover just recently, I tried tabs but they just confused me and I found it easier to just listen to how it's played.

oldguy
February 18th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Basic chord progression is A9 and E7, bridge goes to D7 E 7 C D G. (no real room for fills or solos in the bridge anyway) What sounds good? D Major with some notes from E major when it goes to the E7?

Another approach that might be helpful, Steve.
Record the chord progression on your looper (or however you prefer), and play along w/ it.
You might try playing some of the notes of each chord as the progression changes and see what you like best.

Eric
February 18th, 2011, 11:44 AM
You're speaking in a language I don't understand. Major who? :-) I wonder if he's related to General Failure who keeps reading my hard drive from now and then
Funny stuff. Those military types can be difficult to work with, eh?

NWBasser
February 21st, 2011, 02:54 PM
This isn't the answer you're looking for, but just play the chords and sing something you'd like to hear over the chords. Figure out what that is on the guitar. That's what I'd do, anyway.

I rather like that idea. Not that I do much guitar soloing, but trying this approach might be interesting.

Good suggestion Eric!

Weshunter
February 28th, 2011, 10:27 PM
if you're looking for the simplest approach, you can play A minor pentatonic (basic 5th fret A Box) on pretty much the whole thing - or A blues on most of it. You just probably don't want to make the A your tonal center on the bridge. You can always add chord tones from whatever chord you're on to that, but if you're drawing a blank on it, you can fall back on the ole' faithful 5th fret A pentatonic.