PDA

View Full Version : Random cutting out problem

GREENMACHINE
February 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Hey guys,
I got an Ibanez EW series acoustic guitar a couple of years ago.
Now randomly it will cut out or the volume will drop majorly during a song, its not the batteries because I have changed and tried different brands of batteries and it makes no difference.

It seems to cut out if I get a little 'percussive' on the strings near the bridge (not bashing the crap outta it though). The 1/4" output jack seems like it could be the problem, but it still does it when I use the XLR output on it too, just not as much.

I've taken it to 3 guitar techs and they can't get it to cut out when they used it

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Many thanks,
Cav

Spudman
February 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM
It definitely sounds like a connection issue. You might have a cold solder connection either on the battery leads or the input jack. Or maybe even the pickup lead to the preamp is bad. You could take it to an Ibanez dealer and see if they can just drop in a different preamp so that you can rule out a bad circuit board or preamp.

deeaa
February 18th, 2011, 12:13 AM
+1 on cold solder. Might be inside the preamp section, though...so what Spud said.

GREENMACHINE
February 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Ok, thanks guys.
I havent been able to get to the place where I bought it from yet but also when I push the phase button in it crackles a little bit then stops, could it be a connection to do with that?

Cheers,
Cav

Spudman
February 22nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Ok, thanks guys.
I havent been able to get to the place where I bought it from yet but also when I push the phase button in it crackles a little bit then stops, could it be a connection to do with that?

Cheers,
Cav

Depends...do the lights go out in the preamp when you lose signal or do they stay on? If they go out then you have a power connection problem. If they stay on then you probably have an issue with the preamp itself. Do you lose signal if you stay perfectly still or pass your cable under your strap so it doesn't wiggle? That would be an input issue if it cuts out when you move slightly.

GREENMACHINE
February 23rd, 2011, 04:42 AM
All the lights work when the signal drops e.g I can still use the tuner and stuff. Also moving the cable doesn't seem to affect it in any way.

However I was talking to a friend of mine today and he said don't use rechargeable batteries in guitars and thats what I have been using and also he said that 1.5v alkaline batteries are what I should be using, I was using 1.2v rechargeable batteries. And as the 1.2v batteries get drained there isn't enough current left to keep the guitar going which results in the signal drop. Could that be right?

Cheers,
Cav

deeaa
February 23rd, 2011, 07:30 AM
I thought as a rule them rechargeable batteries are much more powerful than regular ones, but that could be worth a look. I use rechargeable 9V batteries in my wireless and those last like three times the time of a normal 9V battery, and also used to use 1,2V rechargeables in my old digicam and there too they gave me almost twice the operation time.

GREENMACHINE
February 23rd, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hmm yeah..not too sure whats going on, but I'm gunna try some 1.5 volt AA batteries to see if its cutting out cause the 1.2v batteries don't have enough juice in them

Duffy
February 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Did you bring your amp and cable when you took it to the techs that couldn't get it to reproduce the cutting out?

It could possibly be a cable or amp problem. Maybe the amp jack needs deoxit'ed. Also you may want to spray some deoxit or other guitar type contact cleaner into the guitars output jack.

Can you reproduce the cutting out when playing thru a different amp?

Just a thought. The inputs and pots on amps can get dirty or corroded and cause cutting out as well.

Another idea would be to take your amp and cable and guitar to the tech and reproduce the cutting out yourself so that the problem can be observed by the tech, since he can't reproduce it himself. That would probably help him out a lot.

Good luck.

markb
February 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Modern rechargeables have more capacity than alkalines but are lower voltage. One problem with them is "self discharge" where the battery will lose charge spontaneously over a week or so. The "ready to use" type of rechargeable batteries don't have this problem. This type (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4d66bade041061c0273fc0a87f3b06f5/Product/View/S4414) can be left in an appliance like an alkaline without losing too much. They're available from TradeMe sellers too. Alkalines are not that expensive if you buy bulk packs. I think I paid $20 for 40 from Dick Smith for use in my wireless mouse and keyboard and remotes.

GREENMACHINE
February 24th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Ok thanks for teh advice Duffy, I will do that.

Thanks Mark, that explains alot! The link you gave sends me to the home page of Dick Smith's website...
I will definitely check out the alkaline batteries