PDA

View Full Version : Oh so new

Mikul
November 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I'm just learning to play guitar for the first time. After an epic 3 months of guitar playing, I can handle "Silent Night."

I know you're impressed.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I picked off of eBay for $300. It's a beautiful thing. I just wish that I could play it as well as it deserves to be.

I'm learning from a guitar tech that's been playing for 30 years as well as from a "Learn Guitar Today" book. I'm thinking of suing them for the "today" part of their title. Actually it's a decent book that has kept me interested and not gotten me frustrated.

I'm really interested in playing slide guitar and generally any of the bends, slides and similar sounds. When you realize that I was trying to decide between guitar and cello, you might understand the sound that I like. Despite the cello and bluesy slide references, my interests are mainly rock.

I'll be quite happy when I get to the point that I can play Dire Straits, "Brothers in Arms."

My favorite guitar pick is my cut up credit card.

Hogfullofblues
November 8th, 2006, 04:29 PM
This is friendly place, and as a newbie myself, can attest to that fact regardless of experience or present ability (of which I have neither). I have found a of ton help and info here and the past posts are full of links and such. If you did not find your way here thru Roberts site, definately check it out. His link is at the end of all his posts; video lessons, gear info, it's great. So welcome aboard and lookin forward to hearing slide rendition of silent night.

Spudman
November 8th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Welcome Mikul

Great to have you here. Enjoy yourself.

Playing with a cut up credit card is a good thing because around here if you have credit you'll get talked into spending it on more gear. Cut up the rest of your cards and you'll be safe.:D

If you don't have any yet you may want to get some heavy guitar picks. The sound and control is much better with a heavy pick than with a credit card.

Robert
November 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Welcome Mikul! This is the place for you!

Spudman is a funny dude and he's right. Cut up all your credit cards and you'll be safe.

Have fun,
Robert

warren0728
November 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM
welcome mikul....i think you will like it here

ww

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Welcome Mikul! This is the place for you!

Spudman is a funny dude and he's right. Cut up all your credit cards and you'll be safe.

Have fun,
Robert

Yes, welcome Mikul! I also am a newbie. It is a helpful and fun place here in the Fret. Also, be sure to check out Robert's Dolphinstreet site. Very, very helpful info and video lessons there.

Cheers,

Steve

Mark
November 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Welcome Mikul! dont give up its a slow process to learn an instrument but well worth it. Right not you have found your Brothers in arms and with persistence you will play it! BTW THAT is one of my favorite DS songs very touching song for me lots of feeling.

duhvoodooman
November 9th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Mikul. We all begin somewhere, and "Silent Night" is as good a place as any! Many knowledgeable and helpful people here that are more than supportive of new players.

That's good advice about the credit cards, though.... ;) :D

aeolian
November 9th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Welcome, Mikul. We are all beginners with some aspect of guitar playing. Ask any question and most times someone will point you in the right direction.

If you don't have any yet you may want to get some heavy guitar picks. The sound and control is much better with a heavy pick than with a credit card.

I agree with Spudman that heavy pick is the way to go for electric guitar playnig. It may feel awkward at first but you will soon find that you won't want to play with any other kind. I use Dunlop Jazz III red picks. Some people find these too small, and I believe Dunlop makes a bigger version of this pick now.

aeolian

Justaguyin_nc
November 12th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'm just learning to play guitar for the first time. After an epic 3 months of guitar playing, I can handle "Silent Night."

I know you're impressed.

Welcome Mikul.. I would be impressed! :) let's hear ya... this is the place to be.. very supportive group.. no ego.. just guitars..;) I hope you have a credit card that is not cut up? pssssst... this place will have you buying stuff and more stuff..heh.. and it's all good!!

Plank_Spanker
November 12th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Welcome to The Fret and welcome to the wild and wonderful world of guitar! :D

Iago
November 12th, 2006, 07:21 PM
beware of things like G.A.S. now!

welcome man!