PDA

View Full Version : Minuteman Fans?

kidsmoke
February 18th, 2011, 07:49 PM
There is a lot about living in Chicago that often seems less than ideal, and I often think about relocating, then something like this comes around, and I realize I would do so at a great cost.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/minutement-econoline-double-nickels-on-a-dime-tribute-girls-rock/Content?oid=3260315

Eric
February 18th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Minutemen are one of those bands I feel guilty about. I have Double Nickels on the Dime somewhere, but I've never given it much time. Similar to some other supposedly enlightened punk like the Libertines, I find it hard to spend a lot of time with it. Maybe someday.

Regardless, that's very cool that you get stuff like that in your hood. You going to go see them?

Tig
February 18th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I saw the Minutemen play at our skate park geez... 28 years ago! Time flies.

kidsmoke
February 18th, 2011, 11:45 PM
You going to go see them?

I am. Taking my daughter and a friend of hers as well. It's $5 for teens and goes off at 6pm, to allow for them to attend. The guitarist is a good friend, took private lessons from him for quite some time. Nels Cline as a guest vocalist!?!?! Too much good stuff to pass it up.

R_of_G
February 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
No band helps illustrate my case of the influence of "Free Jazz/New Music" on punk rock better than Minutemen.
D. Boon was a highly influential guitar player for me.

Sounds like a challenging but interesting project for a cover band to take on. Enjoy the show Tio Kimo.

sunvalleylaw
February 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
This looks cool!

kidsmoke
February 19th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I confess I'm not real familiar with the Minutemen. This guitarist leads an ensemble called "kill your idols", and for a while they were covering the bands of the SST label, and got into the minutemen catalog. I figure this is a great way to get immersed, as it's being presented by outrageously talented musicians, and serves a cause. Really looking forward to it.

R_of_G
February 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I confess I'm not real familiar with the Minutemen. This guitarist leads an ensemble called "kill your idols", and for a while they were covering the bands of the SST label, and got into the minutemen catalog. I figure this is a great way to get immersed, as it's being presented by outrageously talented musicians, and serves a cause. Really looking forward to it.

Sounds like a good way to reverse engineer yourself into the Minutemen catalog.

One thing about their music, particularly in the case of Double Nickels on the Dime, is that there's a diversity of sound on it. Even if not all of the songs appeal to you, it's likely some of them may. Of course, most of their songs are rather short, so even if you don't like one, it's over quickly. :)

Retro Hound
February 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I like them.

sunvalleylaw
February 19th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Sounds like a good way to reverse engineer yourself into the Minutemen catalog.

I must admit I do this regularly. Finding some cover and working my way back is a good way to go sometimes. I did a thread on that once.

kidsmoke
February 21st, 2011, 09:24 AM
:thwap after all that I didn't make it out. Was "asked" to cover a shift at a Tavern I help out at.

Reports from the crew are that it was an amazing evening, as I expected it would be.