PDA

View Full Version : Lemmy: 49% Motherf**ker, 51% Son Of A *****

Tig
February 19th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Unless you absolutely hate metal/Motörhead/Lemmy, this is an interesting, funny, and entertaining documentary on the most colorful man in metal. Even Ozzy says Motörhead was the first metal band. Interviews with many influenced musicians (Metallica, Dave Grohl, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, Joan Jett, Billy Bob Thornton, Slash, and members of The Clash, Guns N Roses, Jane's Addiction), jam sessions, great stories, etc. A little long at times, but worth watching/renting/owning.

I even learned that Lemmy was Jimi Hendrix's stage hand and acid supplier.
More importantly, we see that Lemmy can be a very thoughtful, caring person.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511vKyRxTLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

marnold
February 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I saw a review of that book in last month's Premier Guitar. Looked interesting, that's for sure. I don't know about them being the first metal band (I'd give the nod to Sabbath for that one), but I think you could argue that they were the first speed/thrash metal band, basically combining the speed and attitude of punk with the power of metal.

mapka
February 19th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I am not a huge fan of Metal, but I do love Lemmy. Seen him in many interviews and found what he had to say interesting. I got Motorheads latest album and love it.

Commodore 64
February 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM
My friend was dating a girl for a little while. He couldn't get over the "Lemmies" on her face. (His term, not mine, well...now I use it too).

Geraint Jones
March 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM
Check this one out ,

khJKq_kJK7Q

Geraint Jones
March 2nd, 2011, 05:34 AM
This is a good one too, you gotta love Phil Campbell .

bN0RDA4yzBA

Tig
March 2nd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQ6JGbsHUw

Mac Morganfield
August 11th, 2011, 03:56 AM
This was on TV here in the UK the other week. I must say, to my shame, with limited exposure to Motorhead, i'd always dimissed them as a bit of a joke. Anyway, a friend of mine is a TOTAL Motorhead/lemmy freak and recommended it. I recorded it and waited until the Mrs was away for a couple of days before watching it. The beginning shows him in his appartment in LA. Some may call it 'compact and bijous'; others squalid but while i watched him playing video games and making fires, i thought it a bit sad. 110minutes later, i was a-whooping and a-hollerin'! What a guy, what a story! Yes, not only was i impressed with the guy's laid back tenacity but i don't think even the hardest sceptic could fail to be bowled over by the affection shown by those he influenced and befriended.

Even if you are not a huge fan of the man, the music or the genre in general, i'd recommend you see this as it must be one of the best Rock documentaries i have seen! Not a spoiler but when, during a sound check, he demonstrated the difference between your average bass player and the way he goes about his buisness put a silly grin on my face!

deeaa
August 11th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Ayuh, a great documentary.

Motörhead obviously created the genre 'speed metal', pun intended. Also the lyrics are full of it; speed don't kill and I'm the proof...etc...

My view of Motörhead has always been one that I always kinda appreciated and liked them, sported their T too, but always had to admit the barrage of noise was a bit too much to listen to, especially on my old boomboxes. But I wore the collection double album 'No Remorse' literally to shreds. I lost track of them in the turn of the 90's completely.

Now that I rediscovered the band and can listen to it with good gear, I love the stuff...and the looseness and noisiness that used to bother me some is now like an injection of something fresh and honest among the autotuned, generalized, produced metal music today. Thus my appreciation has greatly increased.

Also, it's always been music. Not that low-tune let's grind around open D with simple riffs and have some vocals over it, but when you listen to the songs, they are always basically blues, very nice melodies and guitar and bass doing completely different things often, creating a real composition and not just the usual grind.

I think I'll go see them the next time they're here...and bring earplugs :-)