PDA

View Full Version : The Who - Endless Wire

Nelskie
November 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Hard to believe that it's been (24) years since The Who released a new studio album (1982's It's Hard). A lot of history has passed since the band exploded onto the UK music scene back in the early 60's - and in many ways, their music provided a soundtrack to the turbulent times that changed the course of musical history. Yet, there is a note of irony in the fact that we are not too far removed from those same kinds of things here in present day. That very point is something that has always stood firm with me about The Who's music - it's relevance to to the time in which it was created. They are a band that that is cognizant of the world around them, and through their music, they offer solace, perspective, and hope. Their latest release Endless Wire works along those same lines - only through a wiser, and more interpretive view. No longer do guitars need to be smashed, or revolutions stirred, to offer the listener a reason to listen. Call it street cred, or whatever you like. The Who are a musical force to be reckoned with, and should you seek to channel yourself inside their auditory world, chances are good that you will emerge . . . wholly enlightened.

The new release is divided into two segments, the first being (9) songs that comprise Endless Wire. The second stanza is a mini-opera entitled "Wire & Glass", and I will offer no other insights to it other than to mention one word - Tommy. And by mentioning that, I only imply that W & G has been created by the same basic nucleus that pushed outward the boundaries of the musical landscape with that very same concept. In short - these guys can deliver the goods. They wrote the book. Everyone else is an imitator.

Included with the solid (21) song line-up is a DVD of a recent live performance (recorded in July 2006), featuring one of the new songs, and (4) all-time classics. I haven't watched it yet, but can only surmise that it is an extra reward for long-time fans who've pined to hear the band go into the studio to record some new material. All-in-all, it's a lot of music for $15. And it's The Who - - 'nuff said.

As I'd mentioned before, the album is a refreshing, if somewhat economical performance from one of rock music's most legendary outfits. Yet there are caveats of brilliance to be found amongst the songs featured Endless Wire, both in the now-grizzled glory of Daltrey's vocals, and shimmery brilliance of Townshend's electric and acoustic riffs. Overall, I'd say its a rewarding listen for fans of all ages, though it may be geared towards the more experienced Who listener.

The sands of time may have taken some of that original, chest-beating glory away from The Who - - and begrudgingly I might add. But it brings a smile to my face to know that the fire still burns very brightly inside of them.

Long live rock. ;)

Mark
November 8th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Great review Nelski as per usual! Im gonna be checking that album...er geezer talk..... I mean CD out. I just wish The Ox, Ole Thunderfingers himself John Entwhistle was still around. He was one helluva a Bass player, one of my favourites, that man was a master Bass player unbelieveable signature tone all his own. Hopefully a lesson to other old rockers and for that matter young ones as well..... you may still have yer chops but the old heart cant deal with the happy powder. I dont know what he was thinkin such a sad waste. Lots of great talents wasted because of drugs. If anyone is interested go to ...http://www.johnentwistle.com/ then click on a few choice clips highlighted in blue from the Ox's Tale DVD. Real interesting comments from some major Bass players of our time, and what Townsend has to say is quite remakable. It is a 19 meg clip so give it time to load up..well worth the wait trust me.

Pike
March 7th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the review Nelskie! I'm getting it.

Nelskie
March 31st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Glad you liked the write-up, Pike. If you're a Who fan like me, then you might be interested to know that they'll be featured on VH1's Rock Honors this summer - mid July . . . if I remember correctly. There'll be a number of bands doing the cover / tribute thing - - but more importantly, The Who will be taking the stage for a command performance. With an audience of peers and fellow musicians, and a national TV audience in tow, I'd suspect that they'll give us all a taste of the "good stuff". As in, "button down the hatches, kids - this is the genuine article." J.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2008-03-25-vh1-rock-honors-the-who_N.htm

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Celebration time, Nelskie is back!

I haven't heard Wire & Glass. What's your opinion on it after a year &a half?

player
March 31st, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the review Nelskie! I'm getting it.
Ditto - Thanks:dude:

just strum
March 31st, 2008, 05:32 PM
The Who was my very first real concert (my first was Paul Revere and the Raiders). The original four members back in around 71 or 72 (geez, I must have been 2 yrs old:D ).

No glitz, just kick "A" rock-n-roll.

marnold
March 31st, 2008, 08:20 PM
Glad you liked the write-up, Pike. If you're a Who fan like me, then you might be interested to know that they'll be featured on VH1's Rock Honors this summer - mid July . . . if I remember correctly. There'll be a number of bands doing the cover / tribute thing - - but more importantly, The Who will be taking the stage for a command performance. With an audience of peers and fellow musicians, and a national TV audience in tow, I'd suspect that they'll give us all a taste of the "good stuff". As in, "button down the hatches, kids - this is the genuine article." J.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2008-03-25-vh1-rock-honors-the-who_N.htm
'Bout time. Pity half of them won't be able to be there. John Entwistle was always a big bass influence on me. I always loved how he could play some fast, tasty lick with a look on his face like you just told him the barometric pressure for no particular reason.

I'm with t0t, good to hear from you again, Nelskie.

player
March 31st, 2008, 09:54 PM
The Who was my very first real concert (my first was Paul Revere and the Raiders). The original four members back in around 71 or 72 (geez, I must have been 2 yrs old:D ).

No glitz, just kick "A" rock-n-roll.
and I was likely siting in a bar in Chicago where I lived,grew up.etc.
after celebrating my 22 b'day.think my first concert was Jefferson Airplane.all those years seem foggy:beer:

SuperSwede
April 1st, 2008, 01:02 AM
Whoa... hold your horses.... well if it isnt Mr Nelskie! Glad to have you back!