PDA

View Full Version : Almost didn't get to the gig

Spudman
February 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
We had a gig tonight at the local ski area which is several thousand feet above the valley floor. We got some rain in town, but up on the hill they got 6 inches of fresh powder and it was blowing too so everything was filling in...including the road.

First I got stuck trying to get out of the bass player's driveway. He lives in the hills just outside of town. After some shoveling and ice melt I was finally able to get to the top of his driveway. We were now underway to the gig 15 miles away and a half hour late.

Part way there I jokingly said, "I hope we can get up there." Most of the way was no problem. Then I started seeing cars parked alongside the road and in turnouts and driveways up on the hill. My good feeling abruptly vanished when two switchbacks later it was clear I was going no further. The snow was deep and unplowed...and I was stuck.:mad

Just then our biggest fan, a coffee shop owner, happened to be going down the hill and stopped to help. We got two loads into her 4wd, and the drummer, who had been skiing all day showed up with a big pickup truck. We got everything there and set up in time, but I kept waiting for the big crowd to show up that usually does after skiing. Turns out the skiing was so good today everyone was fried by the end of the day and went home. We played to a smaller than usual, yet enthusiastic, crowd.

But the free beer was awesome as usual. :beer::beer:

We were loaned a truck to haul the equipment down to my van at the end of the night, and had to deliver it back to the guy's house in town. Bass player's wife met us there so I didn't have to go back out and get stuck in their driveway again. Yea! :dance

It was a lot of work but they really like us there and we like playing for them too. Now to try to get them to have us back at the end of the year for the snowmobile hill climb. That would be fun.:socool

Things could have turned out worse than they did. I'm just happy I got to play.

sunvalleylaw
February 20th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Like. :D

Brian Krashpad
February 21st, 2011, 12:05 AM
Yikes. I could not deal with snow and gig headaches all together. Good onya.

otaypanky
February 21st, 2011, 08:07 AM
Quite the adventure !

NWBasser
February 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
That's just a very cool story!

Thanks for sharing Spud.

kiteman
February 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Did y'all play Snowblind? :poke

Spudman
February 23rd, 2011, 08:22 PM