PDA

View Full Version : 06 MIM P bass Bridge saddle problems

jpurvis
February 20th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I've recently picked up a used 06 mim precision and the wood fit and finish is great. But the hardware on this thing is literally falling apart in my hands lol. I was just wondering if anyone is having the same problems as I am. When I carry it around in a gig bag the bridge saddle screws loosen! I have to adjust on this thing constantly to get the intonation and height back to where it is supposed to be. I have already had to replace one screw that I lost! I'm fed up with this, will getting an after market bridge fix this or should I get a different case? or a different bass for that matter? I've had to peg the holes for the strap buttons already because they've stripped out too. Would like to make this an excellent player, but if I have to sink a bunch of money into this would it be better to spend that money to buy a better made bass? Thanks!

Spudman
February 21st, 2011, 12:09 PM
If your strap screw holes are elongating the first thing that comes to my mind is how are you playing it? Are you a little too active and possibly rough? Still, I've had very high quality and expensive guitars do the same thing. You have to realize there is a lot of pressure on those two screws. I usually just refill the holes with wood and glue and let it harden and reinsert my screws. Seems to hold forever then.

As far as the bridge goes, I hear you on that one too. I've got a few guitars that will change over time as the screws wiggle. The simple fix, if you want to keep that bridge, is to invest $4 on some Loctite in medium strength. Put a little on the offending screw threads and you should be good for a long time. Otherwise, there are plenty of good, inexpensive after market bridges for that bass so you could make a nice tone improvement even by replacing the stock bridge.

NWBasser
February 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Spudman nailed the fixes quite well.

OTOH the standard upgrade for a MIM P-bass is a Badass II bridge and a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder pickup.

jpurvis
February 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the advice! never thought about loctite! It really is a pretty good playing bass now that I've had some playing time on it. I was just over-venting my frustrations lol. I pegged the strap buttons with toothpicks and now they are solid! I don't jump, or sling this thing around but the previous owner might have. I'd like to save the bridge, but it is so cheaply put together I may put on a BA II. I may want to upgrade the pickup too as the stock one is a little muddy and undefined. Is changing the bridge and pickup straight forward or should I look into having someone else do this? I'm pretty good with my hands but this is new territory for me. How does the wiring on these mim fenders hold up?

marnold
February 22nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
NWB would know for sure if the BA II is a drop-in replacement. If it is, it would be as easy as using a screwdriver. If not, you'd need to drill new holes and fill the old ones. Swapping out a p-bass pickup is as simple as unsoldering and resoldering two leads.