PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Modern 2466

Neal
February 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Anyone have any experience with these? Looking to get another road amp.

Jimi75
February 23rd, 2011, 05:25 AM
About 2 or 3 years ago I planned on buying a Marshall, so I went and checked out the VM series. Not very impressed. You can tweak until you got wound fingers, but you will never get a real good sound out of it.

Robert
February 23rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
I like it. When you crank it up, it sounds great! Not for low volume noodling though... ;)

Eric
February 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
I know someone who swears by it -- says he's tried everything and the VM is the only thing he'll use now. I haven't plugged in to one, but take it for what it's worth, I guess.

deeaa
February 23rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Methinks Robert nailed it - it's the kind of amp you MUST play loud, or it's just plain boring. Kinda like them old Marshalls, they come alive when pushed properly. Too loud for me.

Jimi75
February 24th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Who buys a Marshall without having tested it at loud volumes? Tubes must be hot, volume at least above 5, everything else will not give a true picture of the amps dynamics and true sound. Still the VM is not my favourite choice of amp, but that's in the eye of the beholder.

MAXIFUNK
February 25th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Peter Frampton plays through 2 50 watt version of this amp but I am sure it is crank and then some for his live show.

Neal
March 9th, 2011, 08:58 AM
NAD:dance I tried it, Liked it, and purchased it. Real sweet on the low end, and some serious jangle when you role up on the guitar volume knob. Great control from the guitar. I'm really diggin :digitthat pre-amp control.:rockya

Robert
March 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Dude, how many amps do you have now, Neal?! We need photos of your herd! :D

MAXIFUNK
March 9th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Neal did you get the matching cab as well?

Neal
March 9th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Dude, how many amps do you have now, Neal?! We need photos of your herd! :D

I had to part with the JCM 900, and I aquired the VM. At the present time, I have Two twins, A bassman, A JC 120, Acoustic Amp, The JVM. and a couple bass amps. The JVM is at a stationary vinue. That aint all Robert. I have my eye on a Old Plexi. Wish me luck.
I do like the JCM 900, but the vintage modern is off the chain.

Neal
March 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Neal did you get the matching cab as well?

I did not get the cab as of yet, but I'm sure that one will come by. I'm playing it thru a 410 cab of the Rola era. 1973 to be exact.

Robert
March 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM
How do you like your JVM? I love mine, but I am contemplating a tube swap. I got mine used, and it can sound a bit "fizzy" and brittle so I was thinking it could be tube related.

Neal
March 9th, 2011, 05:27 PM
How do you like your JVM? I love mine, but I am contemplating a tube swap. I got mine used, and it can sound a bit "fizzy" and brittle so I was thinking it could be tube related. The JVM is the best amp that I ever owned. I'll make a tube change at the end of the year.

I would have got another JVM, but this was a deal of deals, and I liked the amp. Much better tone and versitillity than the JCM 900, and I just started with it.

MAXIFUNK
March 9th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I did not get the cab as of yet, but I'm sure that one will come by. I'm playing it thru a 410 cab of the Rola era. 1973 to be exact.

Gotcha because the matching cab has the same speakers they used in the Jimi Hendrix cab not to long ago.

Neal
March 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I've been putting ths thang thru it's paces, and I must say that it has honey drippin off of it. It's going to my next gig.