PDA

View Full Version : New guy "Dean" from Muskoka Ontario

Dean Watson
February 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Hello all! I am new to this forum. Glad to be aboard!

I am 53 yrs old and have been playing guitar for about 40 years. I used to have many, many guitars, but have settled on one. A left handed '71 gibson SG standard. If you follow Gibson's history, you'll know that this was a crappy year for gibsons. I guess the necks were breaking at the body joint on a lot of SG's so they removed the neck angle, made it completely straight - like a tele, and to make matters worse, put the control cavity on the front instead of the back. However, the neck is completely awesome on this thing and many years ago I ( gulp ) installed a whammy on it that works extremely well.

Recently I got into building my own guitars and have built a jazz archtop, a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion replica, and a Gibson Les Paul TV replica. All lefty's like me.

I use an old Musicman RD50 amplifier.

That's it folks!

Spudman
February 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hi Dean and welcome aboard. :wave:

That sounds like an interesting model LP. I'm not familiar with it at all. I'd love to see it if you have any photos of it.

ZMAN
February 22nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hey Dean: Another fellow Cannuck. I live in St. Catharines. What part of Muskoka are you located? Of course we have been in your area for summer vacations. I am also an SG owner. I have a 1968 Special, a 2007 Epi G400, and I just bought a 2004 SG standard last Friday.
I really hadn't noticed the 71s were any different. Now I do. To say the least I like SGs but I have lots of other Gibbies and Fenders.
Welcome aboard.

Tig
February 22nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Dean. Plenty of Canadians here. :canada: Lots of other good people from around the world as well.

I'm sure you'll get requests for photos of the guitars you have built.

Robert
February 22nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Welcome Dean! I'm in Alberta.

Blaze
February 22nd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Hello There ,Welcome et Bienvenue..

Blaze

Frogie from Quebec ..

pictoratus
February 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Welcome Dean.

I'm a new guy here as well and have found this to be a pretty friendly bunch.

bcdon
February 22nd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Greetings from Vancouver, BC! Welcome to The Fret! :dude

sunvalleylaw
February 22nd, 2011, 11:13 PM
Hi Dean, and Welcome!

Brian Krashpad
February 23rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Hi Dean and welcome aboard. :wave:

That sounds like an interesting model LP. I'm not familiar with it at all. I'd love to see it if you have any photos of it.

Spud-- I bet you are familiar with it. I think Dean's referring to a Les Paul Special (or perhaps Junior), in TV Yellow. Although we can't tell from his post whether the one he made is a single cut or double cut.

Dean-- welcome! There are lots of Canucks here. And let's see pics!