PDA

View Full Version : 3-way switch... better types?

poodlesrule
February 23rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
I need a new three-way switch to rewire a Yamaha Strat to two-P90 setup.

A quick look-up to the Stew Mac site shows there are straight and low-profile ones.
Any reason not to use the straight type?

The body cavity is deep enough for a traditional 5-way, so I think I have room there.

I am going to buy the switch at a good electronics store near me, as I cannot wait for a mail-order cycle.. darn gas!

Spudman
February 23rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Dimarzio makes some good switches but I'd stick with a 5 way. Two reasons: it will give you other wiring options and if you ever want to go back to a 3 single set up you are then covered with a good switch. My 2 cents.

poodlesrule
February 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Taking a chance at sounding like an idiot... my electronic store seem to have the on-off-on type but not the both-on in the middle position. Am I missing something?

In the world outside of guitars, is that an odd type of switch...?

tunghaichuan
February 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Taking a chance at sounding like an idiot... my electronic store seem to have the on-off-on type but not the both-on in the middle position. Am I missing something?

In the world outside of guitars, is that an odd type of switch...?

It's been my experience that outside the guitar/MI industry, on-on-on switches are a special order item. Back in the 80s, Guitar Player published a mod for a strat using an on-on-on mini switch. I had to special order them, and they weren't cheap, around $10 each, IIRC and that was almost 20 years ago. Your best bet might be contacting Stew-Mac and getting their recommendation.

poodlesrule
February 24th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Guitar Player published a mod for a strat using an on-on-on mini switch.

Well, that is the type that I did find!
It has six poles, and a cryptic diagram which is confusing... need to get the multimeter and figure the poles out.

markb
February 24th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Just a thought. Why not use a 3-way blade switch as fitted to teles?

tunghaichuan
February 24th, 2011, 10:12 PM
What type of switch was originally in the guitar? Blade like a strat/tele?

poodlesrule
February 25th, 2011, 06:43 AM
What type of switch was originally in the guitar? Blade like a strat/tele?

Older, neglected Yamaha has a traditional 5-way switch. I am starting the wiring of this rough project from scratch, I guess I could salvage the switch - for reference, the pickup ceramic bars were falling off, so the switch had a rough life...
Plan is for a two-P90 se-tup with a "hot-rod", one-volume pot configuration (was thinking about a single P90, originally).

We are talking about this 'cause I did not get my butt in gear and order a fresh, proper switch... but he tiny swithc I found may just do it