PDA

View Full Version : What are the "must have" guitars for any collection?

jpfeifer
February 24th, 2011, 10:25 AM
After playing for a number of years I'm starting to realize that there are a few inconic sounds that represent the best of what electric guitars have to offer. My playing tastes have changed slightly over the years so I'm becoming more aware of the tones that I didn't need before, and added these to my list of "gotta have it" tones.

The one guitar that made me painfully aware of this list of "must have" tones is my Line6 Variax. This guitar was supposed to solve all of my GAS for new guitars, and not fuel them, but I'm finding that this guitar has taught me about those guitars that I've been missing from my collection that I should have some day.

So with that. Here's my list of must-have guitars. These are the tones that I keep using on the Variax, time and again:

- Fender Strat
- Fender Tele
- Gibson ES-335
- Gretch 6120
- Rickenbacher 360

With these, you can cover just about every guitar tone that's ever been recorded in the past 40 years. Sadly, I don't own a real Tele, or 335, or Gretch or Ric. I find myself using the Tele sounds for so many things. I'm thinking that I may need to buy a real one someday, but then again, I don't own a real Gibson ES-335, or Gretch either, so I have some gaping holes in my "must-have" collection :-) More GAS, dang!!

--Jim

gregsguitars
February 24th, 2011, 10:50 AM
60 era 335 or an Inspired by artist series 335 from GCS
any ES 330, 345, etc.( hollow body)
at least 1 Gretsh
any pre 1970 Fender
and pre 1965 Gibson acoustic j45,j50,LOO,Country Westerm,SJ
any pre 1970 Martin
Fender from 1989 to 1999
Les paul from 1980 to 1999

sunvalleylaw
February 24th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Strat
some humbucker guitar, either Lp or Semi
Tele
Hollowbody

Those are the 4 points on my compass rose of tone. You can fill in with variation from there.

Retro Hound
February 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM
There's been a post on this before, but I can't find it.

My worthless opinion:
Strat
Tele
Les Paul
Hollow or Semi-hollow

Eric
February 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Les Paul
Les Paul
Les Paul
Marshall

...oops. I wasn't supposed to do that, was I?

Tig
February 24th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Good lists so far, even if I can't afford classics like Greg lists.

I'll add only one guitar type/pickup, of which there are many models available...
Something with P-90's. Heck, you can get them on all kinds of semi-hollows, LP's, Tele's, and on and on.
Humbucker lovers who don't like single coils like Strat's and Tele's should give them a test run.

"I was used to playing humbuckers, but after putting in a pair of custom Seymour Duncan P-90's into one of my '70 Deluxes, the resulting tone was a bit brighter, a little warmer, and more transparent than the humbuckers.
But what I really like about them was there solid midrange, distorted creaminess, and their ability to still hold definition when put through an over-driven tube amp. I'll put with the hum any day to have my current tone." -Mike Ness

jpfeifer
February 24th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I'm with you on the P-90 suggestion.
I have a P-90 equippped hollowbody and it covers some great sounds. These pickups sound very warm when they're turned down and then they have a fantastic bite when you turn them up. With distortion they just sound incredible. I'm a big P90 fan now.

--Jim

NWBasser
February 24th, 2011, 06:33 PM
How 'bout this idea...

A bass!!:-)

NWBasser
February 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Les Paul
Les Paul
Les Paul
Marshall

...oops. I wasn't supposed to do that, was I?

Mmmmm, LP and Marshall. Sweetness.

bcdon
February 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Simple: Any guitar that you actually play.

Katastrophe
February 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
All of these are "type" guitars, since there are different brands that can get close to each model:

Les Paul
Strat
Tele
6120 (Gretsch)
Firebird (NOT the X... but one with mini-hums)
Reverend Club King (for the P90s)
Ibanez/ESP/Jackson shredder

With that list of guitars, and a Fender and a Marshall amph, you can cover just about all sonic territory.

Retro Hound
February 24th, 2011, 07:44 PM
This is probably a ridiculously naive question, but what are the differences between a 335 and a 6120? Besides the brand of course.

mapka
February 24th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Telecastor
Stratocastor
P-90 (any)
Humbucker (any)
TV Jones Gretsch and a Richenbacher for those songs that need them!

progrmr
February 24th, 2011, 10:17 PM
A full hollow
A semi-hollow
A Strat
A metal/shred machine
A vintage guitar of some flavor
A two-humbucker guitar
An acoustic
A tele
And a claasical guitar

:) I need more room for guitars!!

piebaldpython
February 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM
It's not so much different guitars that count.....it's different pups that are good at different things.
Strats
Teles
P-90s
Buckers
CC Rider

FusedGrooves
February 24th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Yamaha SA2200....

Oh wait I already have one! bwahahaha

Katastrophe
February 25th, 2011, 08:06 AM
This is probably a ridiculously naive question, but what are the differences between a 335 and a 6120? Besides the brand of course.

335s tend to sound more mellow, and are great for jazz and blues, at least to my ears. A 6120 is all about the rebel rockabilly twang. For the difference, look up Larry Carlton for 335 tones, and Brian Setzer for 6120 tones.

"That Great Gretsch Sound" is unique, and is a different type of twang as compared to what you get from a Tele or from a P90 equipped guitar.

MAXIFUNK
February 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Ibanez SR and SR Prestige Bass

Strat SSS and HSS
Tele thineline P90's and HS
LP HH
Nighthawk HSH
semi-hollow dream axe would be Gibson Cs-336
Taylor T-3 & T-5

Spudman
February 25th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Everyone needs a Musicman in their stable. It will turn into a horse that gets ridden a lot.

Brian Krashpad
February 26th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Strat (SSS) Tele, LP (HB), LP (P-90)

Those are the big four.

After that:

SG, some kinda Ric, some kinda Gretsch, some kinda non-Ric/Gretsch semi or hollowbody

NWBasser
February 27th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Everyone needs a Musicman in their stable. It will turn into a horse that gets ridden a lot.

Although I only have limited experience with them, I can see a lot of truth in this one.

FrankenFretter
February 28th, 2011, 08:19 AM
That's easy:

-A Les Paul with humbuckers
-A Les Paul with P90s
-A Les Paul with mini-hums

And maybe a Tele.
The end.

Jimi75
February 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Afterall these years of playing I tend to say a Strat and a Les Paul.

wingsdad
March 1st, 2011, 08:45 AM
I'll echo this open-minded, cover-all-bases notion...

A full hollow
A semi-hollow
A Strat
A metal/shred machine
A vintage guitar of some flavor
A two-humbucker guitar
An acoustic
A tele
And a claasical guitar
... although with a good semi-hollow in the fold, I think one could get by without a full hollow, and personally, I'd have no use for 'a metal/shred machine'. As for the acoustic, make it a good solid spruce top acoustic/electric, and make the nylon string an a/e, too. If the rhythm chair is your main bag, as it is for me, I'd add an acoustic/electric 12 and an Rick 12 to the must-have list. Add a P-Bass or a short-scale bass (easier to adapt to if not your main thing) and you're set.

That said, it took me quite a while and a series of buys, sells & trades to get there, but I've managed to finally put such a quiver together, with minimal duplication and a few oddballs thrown in for good measure.

FrankenFretter
March 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Lest we forget, we all need a Hell guilar (http://www.hellguitars.com/)in the collection. Right Syo?

poodlesrule
March 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
This thread makes me think online sellers should put together bundles or strater packs...

Or we could have a rolling group buy: 2 pallets of Strats, 1 pallet of Tele, etc. Who's got a forklift?

ZMAN
March 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
My picks would be.
SG p90
SG HB
ES 335
Les Paul
Strat Single coil
Tele

NWBasser
March 3rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Those listed are all good as long as it isn't one of my guitars. They're all spoken for; except the CV strat.

That one should become a part of somebody's collection. winka, winka