PDA

View Full Version : Discovering beer

Spudman
February 24th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Here is a pretty neat website to help you discover other beers you might like. Cool!:hungry

http://www.pintley.com/

Pintley is a new kind of beer website—one that only recommends beer you're sure to love.

Unlike other beer sites, Pintley doesn't just know beer; it also knows you. Pintley learns from your ratings and tasting notes to understand exactly what pleases your palate the most, so you can be your own beer expert.

Personalized beer recommendations, tasting notes, and a vibrant community are just a click away. You can even win prizes like free beer just for using Pintley! It only takes a few minutes to get started, and best of all, it's free. So sign up now and tap into your tastes.

Beerman
February 24th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Kewl! Me likes.
I do already know what I like though but I'm interested in being forced to try new ones.

guitarify
February 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Awesome. I have a great nearby beer store that stocks lots of micro-brews, but I never know what to get.

Spudman
February 24th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I entered a few beers that I like and when I got suggestions there were several other beers I had drank listed among the suggestions. Pretty cool!

guitargrizz
March 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
I've been attempting to brew my own beer lately. I have a feeling it will soon become a little hobby of mine. I haven't been able to taste the finished product yet (considering the fact it's not even finished yet), but I'm looking forward to doing so. Any of you ever brewed your own beer from home?

Beerman
March 2nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
I brewed for many years at home but stopped about 10 years ago when life got too hectic. I had fun but never really made the beers I liked to drink. Some friends are into it big time and it can get expensive fast.
The kits are usually junk but if you read up on it and get the good ingredients and take the time to learn how to make 'real' beer, you will enjoy it more.

Oh, though I love the smell of hops in the house, it's likely very few others you live with will. After awhile, even the curtains smell like it. My dream house.:drool

poodlesrule
March 2nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
I do, or did brew from home.
Even some simple recipes come out quite good!
My third or fourth batch was a dry stout, which tasted somewhat better than many commercial offerings.

It takes a bit of space, time, patience, and a liking for washing a lot of stuff!
"Modern era" access to ingredients and equipment make it a rather simple venture, some similarity to guitar field there..!

The forum at homebrewtalk.com has tons of recipes, helpful crowd and a useful wiki.

Beerman
March 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
I've been out of it so long its amazing at what's changed. I still have some equipment and dream of doing it again but it does take time and patience. Something I don't have right now.