PDA

View Full Version : David Garrett

Bloozcat
February 28th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I had the extremely pleasant and unique experience of seeing David Garrett live last night. For those not familiar with David Garrett, he is a German virtuoso violinist who plays everything from classic violin to show tunes, to rock. He and his band were just finishing a 20 city American tour and the local college, Indian River State College, had somehow pursuaded him to play at the college before going to the airport to fly home to Germany. My wife is the Executive Director of the Foundation at the college and it was her department that got David Garrett to come. This was a pretty big coup for the college as David Garrett normally plays to much larger audiences and for considerably more money than the college was able to pay him.

Last nights performance was decidedly rock with even classic pieces done as rock arrangements. This man is an incredibly talented musician who plays with such seeming nonchalance that he makes the extremely difficult look easy.

His band consisted of two guitar players, a bass player, a keyboard player, and a drummer, each of whom are accomplished musicians in their own right. They would have to be to keep up with David Garrett, and keep up they more than did. The band is very tight as was every piece they performed together last night.

There must be a zillion You Tube videos of David Garrett. For those who are just pure lovers of music, he's really worth checking out.

Jimi75
February 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Saw him once and it was horrible. Maybe he had a bad day, 'cause I know this guy can seriously play, plus he has the looks.

Happy to hear he rocked the house at your event.

Bloozcat
February 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I thought of you last night, Jimi. I figured you'd know about him as popular as he is in Europe, and especially Germany.

That's a shame that he was so horrible when you saw him. Not only was he good last night, but he was very gracious and engaging with the audience. As you said, maybe he had a bad day when you saw him...

Jimi75
February 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I will definitely buy tickets again the next time he comes around.
He's very popular here and when he tours he always plays in my hometown which is very practical, too :-)
David is a good guy....lots of understatement.