PDA

View Full Version : New guy here from East Lansing, MI.

groverj3
February 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Figured I'd introduce myself. A student at Michigan State University, been playing since freshman year of high school. Always looking for people to talk about music/guitars with. As for my gear:

Jackson USA SL2H Soloist Trans Blue flame top (headstock in profile pic)
Jackson DXMG (with EMG 81 and 85 set added)
Fender Mexi Strat (currently thinking of modding heavily with a floyd or kahler)
Peavy Transtube 112 EFX (Amp here in the dorm)
Crate 212 Combo (don't recall the exact model)
Boss MT-2 Metalzone distortion pedal
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Crybaby Zakk Wylde Wah (not a Zakk fan really... but its a great pedal)

Music I'm into, well, thats a lot. My gear would indicate a heavy metal focus to playing but I'm into lots of diverse stuff. In addition to metal I enjoy my fair amount of prog rock, classic rock, jazz, classical music, and blues. I also play the saxophone and have a good appreciation for other kinds of music due to that.

Some of my favorite bands and guitarists (mostly metal oriented):
John Petrucci - Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment
Joe Satriani
Chris Broderick - Now in Megadeth
Jason Becker
Randy Rhoads - Practically a given
Steve Vai
Tony Macalpine
Michael Romeo - Symphony X
The Amott brothers - Arch Enemy
Eric Johnson - Most definitely not metal, but hell of a player.
Porcupine Tree - Great prog rock band
Alex Skolnick - His stuff in Testament

I'm forgetting half a dozen most likely. Anyway, thats about as good of an introduction as I can think of! I know a fair amount of music theory as well, so questions on that I could also try to answer. Fairly proficient at sweep picking, but my fast alternate picking isn't quite what I'd like it to be, so, tips on that would be appreciated, perhaps thats an idea for another thread though.

Robert
February 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Welcome! I saw Skolnick at NAMM in January, was very cool.

Enjoy the Fret! Thanks for the great intro.

bcdon
February 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Welcome aboard! Post a picture of that Soloist! :dude

Brian Krashpad
February 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Welcome Grover!

:dude

Brr, East Lansing sounds like it'd be a smidge nippy about now.

marnold
February 28th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Welcome! I grew up a little ways northeast of Lansing, in Bay City. My sister and brother-in-law graduated from State in '94.

groverj3
February 28th, 2011, 09:26 PM
marnold
Welcome! I grew up a little ways northeast of Lansing, in Bay City. My sister and brother-in-law graduated from State in '94.

Excellent, Go Green! Nice DK2M BTW!

Brian Krashpad
Welcome Grover!

:dude

Brr, East Lansing sounds like it'd be a smidge nippy about now.

Not too bad currently, a balmy 23 degrees F outside :rotflmao:

Robert
Welcome! I saw Skolnick at NAMM in January, was very cool.

Enjoy the Fret! Thanks for the great intro.

Very cool indeed, I like how he's been able to be successful in multiple styles of music, both his jazz trio and Testament.

As for bcdon's request for pics of the soloist, those are coming!

groverj3
February 28th, 2011, 09:35 PM
http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab336/groverj3/AllGear.jpg
Thats my gear as of a few years ago, 2007. I've gotten the peavy amp since since (its more dorm room sized) and gotten rid of the tech 21 practice amp in the background (didn't do much for me). The older looking one on the left is a Gibson 6 from 1959 :dude

The SL2H is really a beauty! Pretty versatile too, not just your typical metal axe. The SD '59 model in the neck is great for blues and very smooth on solos. The JB in the bridge is bassier than you'd expect because Jackson USAs come with a 250k tone pot. It cleans up well when you roll off the volume a bit. Still get get very good crunch out of it. Super low action, neck through body, and compound radius fretboard. I know Ibanez has its fans, and us Jackson people are in the minority these days... but the pinnacle of the superstrats I've played (thats why I blew all my high school graduation money on it almost 4 years ago) :dude

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab336/groverj3/SL2HBody.jpg
http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab336/groverj3/SL2HFull.jpg
http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab336/groverj3/SL2HHead.jpg
http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab336/groverj3/SL2HBack.jpg

groverj3
February 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I posted a few pics of the soloist from my photobucket account. Says its waiting on moderator approval though, so hopefully they show up soon! Its a great playing and sounding guitar... not to mention great looking too :dude

Spudman
February 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hi and welcome.:wave:

That Jackson does look pretty sweet. Welcome aboard.

guitarhack
March 1st, 2011, 09:33 AM
Welcome. That is a fine Jackson guitar. I have an imported Charvel/Jackson and it has a great neck on it as well as a lot of different tones out of it's hsh pickup set.

MAXIFUNK
March 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the fret!!!

sunvalleylaw
March 2nd, 2011, 12:26 AM
Welcome!