PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Classic 50

GREENMACHINE
March 1st, 2011, 12:12 AM
Hey guys,
I'm looking at getting my 1st ever tube amp. Yay! lol
I came across this amp and wondered what you guys thought about it.
I will mainly be playing blues and country/country rock. But I also will be playing rock and some metal on it too (but not very often).

Will this amp be a good choice?

Many thanks,
Cav

Jipes
March 1st, 2011, 04:28 AM
I guess it will suit you good for the style you're playing ! Just be aware that the 50w is very loud and probably quite heavy :socool If you're planning to only play at home I would rather look for a classic 30 or a Blues Junior.

If you're playing live on stage just keep in mind that a very loud amp is sometimes hard to crank up in small venues :cool:

Jimi75
March 1st, 2011, 04:32 AM
Have heard about the loudness of the 50w version. A lot of folks out there that sell this amp due to this reason. I'd definitely go with the 30w version like Jipes says.

Commodore 64
March 1st, 2011, 05:56 AM
My Classic 30 will peel paint. It'll keep up with our drummer on 4-5 on the volume knob.

guitarhack
March 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Classic 50s are extremely loud, so unless you're playing at a large outdoor venue, I'd consider something 30 watts or under, then if it's not loud enough, you can mic it. Remember tube watts are roughly 3 times as loud as their solid-state counterparts.

GREENMACHINE
March 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
OK thanks for the advice guys, I did wounder about the volume of it.
At most venues I play at I will be mic'd, but there is one or two places that I wont be being mic'd.

I don't know too much about tube amps but at the moment I have a 200 watt Randall hybird, will the classic 30 go as loud as that? (I don't have it cranked up full, its sometimes at max about 7 at a large-ish venue un-mic'd)

Cheers,
Cav

NWBasser
March 1st, 2011, 04:06 PM
A 30 will certainly get loud enough to upset the bass player.

stingx
March 1st, 2011, 05:16 PM
A C30 with extension cab is balls Marie!

Robert
March 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
It is loud but it sounds very good. I think it sounds quite a bit better than the 30 watt version.

stingx
March 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM
It is loud but it sounds very good. I think it sounds quite a bit better than the 30 watt version.

I concur but unless it can be cranked the point is moot. It's way too loud.

Bloozcat
March 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
All true....

I had one and loved the tone, especially after re-tubing. I'm not so sure the neighbors did though...:eek:

To get a good power tube tone going you have to crank it beyond what a home or a small venue can handle.