PDA

View Full Version : Comfortably Numb - 1st Solo

stingx
March 1st, 2011, 09:12 AM
I've been debating selling my PodXT now for several weeks and replacing it with either a HD500, Blackstar small combo, or one of the new Fender Mustang amps. I loaded up the latest firmware and proceeded to dial in some tones I really like. I'm still very much up in the air with making a decision - the bean works well sitting on the desk and seems to be able to still achieve tones that sit well in a mix but the tech is over 6 years old now and I have heard some excellent stuff produced by Robert and others as well as testing kits myself. I know what usually happens is I buy something, am enamored with it for a bit, then I come to the realization that it's the same ol' same ol'.

On this particular take I am using the Hiwatt amp model to reproduce Gilmour's signature sound on Comfortably Numb. Not exactly 100% note for note but I think the old XT still comes close. My decision comes to play in whether spending $300-500 will really get me that much closer...

fQE9PNKsBU4

Ah...decisions, decisions.

Jimi75
March 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Who cares about how old it is if it works for you? It's essential to feel good when playing. If this is not provided try/buy another modeler. I for myslef love the Line6 technology of the 1st and 2nd generation. Absolutely sufficient. But that's just my 2cents. Your comfortably numb sound comes very close. You have to remember that the sound does not only come from the technical device but from the fingers, too.

Beerman
March 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM
I toy with this solo often and can be close at times on the notes but not on the sound. I just haven't been able to mimic it but then again, I don't have much equipment to play with........yet! Ypu've pretty much got it down pat too!

SuperSwede
March 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM
Your sound is great Pete! I wish I still had my XT, great size and easy editing when doing desktop recordings..

stingx
March 1st, 2011, 12:32 PM
Thank you guys :) I suppose I should ask someone who still has an XT and a recently acquired HD if there is really a difference worth the big bucks to upgrade. I wish the new Line 6 modelers had desktop versions. Having that huge foot controller on the desk looks cumbersome. I bought the foot controller for the XT when it came out. I thought it was a great idea to keep the "brains" off the floor and the replaceable foot controller on the ground. You never know when someone might spill something or drop something. Anyway, the one thing that compels me to upgrade is that the new modeling is supposed to be even better than what I'm sporting. For instance, I saw no relevant need to go from the XT to the X3 but going from the XT to the HD should be a huge jump. Hmmm...tough call. I'll sort it out eventually. I might just keep the XT for posterity. It even has the original Line 6 logo on it too :)

sunvalleylaw
March 1st, 2011, 11:31 PM
I like it Pete! I am trying to learn some signature Gilmour licks in my band project. Not necessarily hard stuff technically, but it takes a while to get to sounding right. Nice work and great tones! Sometimes new stuff is over-rated.

Rockermann
March 2nd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Nice work, indeed! You got the feel and the tone is close too. It sounds great. That would hold up just about in any club for sure.

But, you better check the kitchen... I think dinner is burning! :D

Lachy
March 7th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Nice work, did you record the video at the same time as you recorded the solo?

R_of_G
March 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Nicely done! I thought the tone was spot on for a Gilmour solo and your playing itself was excellent. Thank you for sharing it.

stingx
March 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys :)

@Lachy - I captured with my webcam while playing but the sound is from the PodXT into Tracktion.

helliott
March 9th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Sweet! Looking forward to your take on the second solo:applause

Tig
March 9th, 2011, 04:59 PM
That was great, sting! I agree that the tone you are currently getting is excellent. As long as you're happy with it, no need to buy anything else.

That said, the HD500 has a growing community of shared patches, so if you do find your way into one, go here and download this patch that uses a Hiwatt amph model. I tend to tweak other's patches for my own taste.
http://line6.com/customtone/tone/208150/

stratman
March 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Well played Stingx, cool song and your sound is pretty good too.

Katastrophe
March 9th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Well played, sir! Tones sound great. Bring on the second solo!