PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up!

wolvie56
March 1st, 2011, 09:56 PM
I used the wrong cleaner on my base and it dulled my high gloss finish. Anybody have any ideas to restore the gloss? Can I use a buffing wheel with a polish to fix it? It's a T24 Washburn Taurus 4 string neck through wood bass. Help. :thwap

Spudman
March 1st, 2011, 10:50 PM
Just some polishing compound should do it. But, wait until some others chime in. They might know something that really does the trick. Good luck with your BASS.

Perfect Stranger
March 2nd, 2011, 03:46 AM
Musician's Friend sells a gloss restorer. I forget the name....but just do a search for it.

FrankenFretter
March 2nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Some folks actually prefer the less glossy finish. You could try car wax on it, if you want it shiny again. Personally, I wouldn't use a rotary buffer on my guitars, but that's just me.

ZMAN
March 3rd, 2011, 08:32 PM
One of the hardest things to do is to take fine sandpaper to the clear coat on a car. I have done it and it scares the hell out you. BUT you can polish it back and it will actually have more shine than before. Light refracts on the imperfections, and dulls the finish. After polishing they glow. I would take a really good quality fine micro polish. Then finish with a Glaze. You can do it by hand but a small buffer with a polishing sponge will work really well. Try to avoid circles. Keep the strokes back an forth along the length of the guitar. If you use a buffer either remove the hardware or tape it. The buffer might scratch the hardware. Make sure you apply the polish to the pad and work it until there is a haze. Use a spritz bottle and micro fibre cloth to wipe of any excess, and continue until you are done. Any swirls will be removed. I would use Mcguiars. They have some really good products. You can get some really good hand buffers and a 4 inch fine pad would work. Make sure the pad is damp. Go for it.