PDA

View Full Version : Which shape do you prefer? Please select...

deeaa
March 2nd, 2011, 01:59 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_6nk96PAbWiI/TW34V9tNwRI/AAAAAAAADoQ/WxPWXKPfwNo/IMAG0687.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_6nk96PAbWiI/TW34WDppmII/AAAAAAAADoU/q02zASnXqWU/IMAG0688.jpg

Upper or lower?

bigoldron
March 2nd, 2011, 05:52 AM
I like both shapes Dee, but if I have to pick one, I'd go with the upper. That one just "speaks" to me..... Good luck with your project!

deeaa
March 2nd, 2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks...I tried to make it kinda a small explorer type, but in order to get the balance right it needs to have the upper horn.

Jimi75
March 2nd, 2011, 06:45 AM
I voted for the mini explorer. Looks pretty darn nice.

Commodore 64
March 2nd, 2011, 07:01 AM
I think they both are awful. However I also think the explorer is one of the ugliest guitar designs on the planet.

deeaa
March 2nd, 2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks! I guess that's what I like best myself. A friend who just visited, however said the other :-) well, tastes vary.

It seems to me the lower horn could be a little less pronounced, but..well. Here's a pic with a strat body superimposed over it:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_6nk96PAbWiI/TW4_sSG3reI/AAAAAAAADow/XQpDpEtMm90/compare.jpg

As you can see the curves placement and all should line up just perfectly, and the playing balance be very much the same as in strats despite the shape.

If I make the lower horn much smaller, it'll change the playing position pretty drastically.
Hm, I suppose I will need to give it also both a belly cut and a sloped upper back horn so it's not in the way of the right hand when playing.

Eric
March 2nd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Yeah I can't say I'd pick either of them if it was me. Of the two I guess I like the lower one better.

deeaa
March 2nd, 2011, 07:07 AM
Yes, tastes vary :-) I always did like 'em but they're waaay big.
Although, if I didn't have one already, I'd be tempted to make this a V shape.

deeaa
March 2nd, 2011, 07:08 AM
The lower one would have the benefits of being super easy to build, plus it could stand up straight on its horns which would be a big usability plus...

Eric
March 2nd, 2011, 07:11 AM
Yes, tastes vary :-) I always did like 'em but they're waaay big.
Although, if I didn't have one already, I'd be tempted to make this a V shape.
Make a pointy Jackson V instead of yours. I think that would be pretty cool.

R_of_G
March 2nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
Not particularly a fan of either, but prefer the upper to the lower.

hubberjub
March 2nd, 2011, 08:07 AM
I like the one on top better. It kind of reminds me of Paul Gilbert's Fireman.
http://en440.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ibanez_fireman.jpg

deeaa
March 2nd, 2011, 11:35 AM
Dang, I thought this would be easy, but now again I'm getting partial to the latter one. It's much better balanced...the above one looks sort of skewed...and I'm having doubts about how it would balance.

Plus there are clear benefits to the latter one...only, it needs something...the upper back horn is not quite properly proportionate now.

Or, I could just round out the upper version like the strat and be content with the difference of the front horns mimicking the headstock shape...
Well, luckily I don't have to make the call just yet. Plenty of time, no rush...next week, I might be able to glue on the fretboard. Or maybe the week after that...but, no rush.

MAXIFUNK
March 2nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
I like both but for playing om ny couch the bottom seems it might be more comfortable.

bigoldron
March 2nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Simple solution: just build one of each. Problem solved!!! :happy:applause:socool

player
March 2nd, 2011, 08:14 PM
Simple solution: just build one of each. Problem solved!!! :happy:applause:socoolyeah solved if you have a bag a cash laying around,went with Maxi on this one.

sunvalleylaw
March 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM
I prefer the top one. The bottom one reminds me of a starship from an 80' sci fi show. But both could be cool. Like the others said, build one of each! I like that you are drawing up your own!

deeaa
March 3rd, 2011, 03:22 AM
Well, making two would not be much different from making one I suppose...for the body. Neck and parts...but that gave me a crazy idea, since it's a neck-thru I could basically make a swappable body :-) just have a cavity onto which the neck and pickups would latch, with a connector like on laptop docks to hook up the wiring.

That'd be pretty crazy...

But, I'm getting to like the X shape better all the time.

One thing I'm also considering is making the whole body hollow...just glue a veneer to the back of the thing, glue bits of wood all around and cut to shape, glue another veneer on top...I really have to think about that too. It'd be pretty easy to make that way, plus light as anything!

Gotta see at what kind of price I could locate some nice suitably thick maple and mahogany or something veneers...

oldguy
March 3rd, 2011, 05:12 AM
When they're turned up on end they kind of look like little paper dolls jumping up shouting "Yay, pick me, pick me!"

marnold
March 3rd, 2011, 07:55 AM
I like the bottom one, which should surprise precisely no one.