PDA

View Full Version : Does your will say where you music stuff will go?

poodlesrule
March 2nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
You have a will written up, right?

No..?
Maybe you should, especially if you have dependents - care of child after your passing issues?
They are not that expensive to draw up.

If yes, did you specify where your music stuff will go? I do!
My stuff will go a regional high school which has a kick *ss music program (instead of having the grabby BIL get the loot).

duhvoodooman
March 2nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
I'm taking it with me....

Tig
March 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
It all comes with me in my specially built studio casket.
http://blog.kievukraine.info/uploaded_images/5985-749032.jpg

// Seriously, I've thought about it, but my stuff isn't worth all that much and would easily be given out to any family who wants it.

Eric
March 2nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Nope. Don't have a will. I honestly think the most expensive thing I own is my $1500 car. Seems like a will would be kind of overkill (pun intended) at this point.

If I was to give it away, I really don't know where it would go. Probably to this kid I know who's a guitar wiz, but plays with a Squier strat and Fender 25R.

guitarhack
March 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Good question and something to consider.

marnold
March 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Even if you don't have much, you should still have a will. My son's teacher died at 42. No will. Now her mom has to deal with everything, but it has to go through probate first. I don't want the state to chose who gets my kids.

Having said that, I have nothing specific in my will about my guitar, etc.

wingsdad
March 2nd, 2011, 11:18 PM
I do, and my daughter gets my guitars and stuff. She knows which 6 she must keep to in turn share with and pass along to my 3 granddaughters. Other than those, she's free to do with the rest as she sees fit.

stingx
March 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
I plan to live forever.

Bloozcat
March 3rd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Of course. All my stuff will be donated to The Smithsonian....:rollover

Actually, I do have it all listed in my will. It takes up a page or two, but it can't be anything like Spud's. His will must look like a NYC phone book....:agree

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Even I don't want the state to chose who gets my kids.Not a problem--in Wisconsin, your new governor will sell 'em to the highest bidder, so at least they go to a home where you know they have money....

Childbride
March 3rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Yes, I have a very specific will.

Beyond the musical, I was entrusted with serious responsibility as to genealogical/familial land and history.

Shiner gets my gear. Wings gets visitation with the ASAT.

wingsdad
March 3rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
.... Wings gets visitation with the ASAT.
I'd be humbled, cb .... :)

poodlesrule
March 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
My stuff will go a regional high school which has a kick *ss music program (instead of having the grabby BIL get the loot).

Well here is an example of why I do not want any if my stuff to go to *some* family members: I helped BIL mentioned above with his PC and getting his resume posted online, took almost two hours.
When time to leave, I hinted.. " Oh... I have to grab something to eat on the road".
He did not get it... 'cause he is a selfish [profanity-of-your-choice].

Eric
March 4th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Well here is an example of why I do not want any if my stuff to go to *some* family members: I helped BIL mentioned above with his PC and getting his resume posted online, took almost two hours.
When time to leave, I hinted.. " Oh... I have to grab something to eat on the road".
He did not get it... 'cause he is a selfish [profanity-of-your-choice].
I always liked the quote "The message is the message received." At least in America, that still applies, so I put that one on you.

Regardless, some people can be kind of grating.

Childbride
March 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I'd be humbled, cb .... :)

Natch. I am humbled to be able to call you friend. On the flip side, you would be proud of the tricks I can make your girl perform. Momma sight reads, plays Bach counterpoint and is learning Santana. ;)

sunvalleylaw
March 4th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I do a fair number of basic wills, and have done for a long time. None of the following is specific legal advice, creates attorney/client relationships and all the normal bladebla that lawyers have to say before they say anything. But generally speaking, I prefer to draft wills that do not get super specific about individual items. Collections change, things happen, and you don't want to have to re-draft your will all the time over $300 Squires and the like. Also, many states allow something called a Tangible Property Gift List, or the like. If your state allows that, you can write a written list that you typically date and sign, and gift tangible things like guitars, amphs, CD collections, spitball collections, etc. These usually don't work for things like stock certificates, etc. Just tangible personal property. Check your state laws and/or talk to your local lawyer for details. You may not need a will to deal with your music stuff.

That said, I advise everyone to have at least a simple will, because through them, you make decisions that you may put family members in the position of fighting over later on if you don't, and you can often keep your affairs streamlined and less court involved. Many times, durable powers of attorney and living wills/health care directives are also just as important.

Ok, none of the above is specific legal advice. The above did not create an attorney/client relationship. I am not your lawyer, go seek the advice of one of your choosing, blahdeblah. . . .
:pancake

Tig
March 5th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Good advice, SVL...
Just make sure you don't use the "amph" spelling in legal documents! :thwap

deeaa
March 5th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Yes we have a mutual will with my wife that we'd inherit each other, bypassing the children, with an explicit request for the kids to not pursue their legal mandatory portion until the surviving member so desires.

Of course everything is going to the kids eventually, it's just that it makes no sense to give anything to your kids until they are already self-sufficient anyway.
If they have no money from the familiy, they will get all the possible benefits, cheap housing and such, student grants and whatnot...if they have anything to their name while they are studying they may have to pay for the housing themselves, or won't get as good a 'pay' for studying.

My friend suffered from that all his student years, his parents bought him an apartment when he was at the university and as a result he didn't get any money towards the rent from the government or much at all student subsidies...just plain waste of money to give any (at least traceable) money or wealth before they're standing on their own.

psylocke24
March 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM
If I am going to have a kid I will just past it to him/her.. at young age I will teach him how to play instruments or enroll him in a music lesson (http://takelessons.com/) and let him use my guitar.

FrankenFretter
March 14th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I figure that if I die anytime soon, y'all would do well to sit outside and wait by the curb. Better you than the trashman.

I jest, of course. I should draw up a will. I should also have renter's insurance. I'm not protecting my ***...ets well at all.

street music
March 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Since we only have one son, I leave it all to him, she doesn't play any instrument and could care less. I figure if she out lives me and is given at least 2 days there will be someone here to replace me. I 'll let him provide for her from that point forward and sell off all she can.