PDA

View Full Version : I fell off the wagon!

Brian Krashpad
March 3rd, 2011, 07:25 AM
I fell off the wagon earlier this week, but didn't know I did right off.

Given that I've been on pain meds 24/7 for weeks now, drinking would be a quick route to a dirt nap. I do have an occasional O'Douls just for the heck of it, since nothing really tastes right yet anyhow. Asked Mrs. K to pick me up some and she brought home a six-pack.

About half-way through a bottle, I noticed I was due on an oxycontin dose, and went to the kitchen to get my 10 mg. In the better lighting I noticed that the bottle didn't say "O'Douls Amber" but "Ultra Amber." Mrs. K bought regular beer by mistake. Which I then drank by mistake. The labels are pretty similar, both are Michelob products iirc.

Called poison control just to be safe, but they said to chill and I'd be fine. I did put off that dose of Hillbilly Heroin for a couple hours though.

True story.

:thwap

progrmr
March 3rd, 2011, 07:44 AM
I'd say that as long as you didn't know your record is intact. Definitely have to be careful though. Glad to hear nothing serious happened as a result!

Brian Krashpad
March 3rd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks. Unfortunately el Krashpadito blurts out "Guess what happened tonight?" as soon as Mrs. K walked through the door later that evening, and she got really upset.

Sigh.

Eric
March 3rd, 2011, 07:50 AM
Yikes! Good (eventual) catch, BK.

I drank a 32 oz. of Pennsylvania's best last night -- good ol' Yuengling. I was at the ghetto liquor store getting some Guiness for a cake, and I couldn't resist. Good thing you didn't house a bottle that size!

Tig
March 3rd, 2011, 07:53 AM
You did the right thing, Brian. Better safe than dirt nappin'. :zzz

Is the pain still hard to tolerate without med's?
If possible, and this in very important with Limbaugh's magic little pill, is to take as little as you can tolerate the pain with. The last thing I'd want after all this is to get hooked on that cr@p.

Still sending major mojo your way...

Brian Krashpad
March 3rd, 2011, 07:55 AM
Man, I do likes me some Yuengling.

After going in to the chemotherapist yesterday, it looks like it'll take weeks to tail off all these meds. :( On the upside, I have gotten to the point where I eat solid food, for dinner at least, every day. Last night I had some gnocchi in alfredo sauce. Unfortunately the sauce wasn't very good. Guess I'll hafta learn to make it from scratch.

sunvalleylaw
March 3rd, 2011, 09:18 AM
You did the right thing, Brian. Better safe than dirt nappin'. :zzz

Is the pain still hard to tolerate without med's?
If possible, and this in very important with Limbaugh's magic little pill, is to take as little as you can tolerate the pain with. The last thing I'd want after all this is to get hooked on that cr@p.

Still sending major mojo your way...

Likewise. Keep it up man!

Childbride
March 3rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
Brian, Shiner and I have not been on the forum much and we recently heard of your trials. Much mojo...

Brian Krashpad
March 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks folks. I'll be fine, just impatient to get this behind me. Chemo doc says I'm "cured," but I'll wait until the CT scan on 3/18 before I do any celebrating. Frankly I'm surprised he'd say that prior to the scan, but he's said it at our last 2 meetings, and this Tuesday there was even a nurse practitioner in the room.