PDA

View Full Version : PRS SE? where do they fit, all around good 'tool"?

poodlesrule
March 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM
What's up with them PRS SE's?

The forum search is not helping, witht the low word cut off limitation

I was looking at GC used offerings near me , and used one is around for 3 1/2 bills...

progrmr
March 4th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I'm in the same boat...I've always wanted to like PRS's but never really "got" them.

marnold
March 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM
SE's are PRS's low-end import line, i.e., a PRS that a normal human being can afford. I haven't researched them much. When I checked them out, I saw they have painted glossy necks which is a non-starter for me.

Eric
March 4th, 2011, 10:16 AM
From what I know of them, they're Korean -- PRS' discount line. Anecdotally, they're very nice quality and play well. The complaint I usually see is that sometimes their sound is a little...uninspiring. I don't know if that's a pickup thing or what, as I've never had one, but that's what I have heard/read.

tunghaichuan
March 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I played a used one a while back at Guitar Center. It was about $300 and a very nice guitar for the money. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it. The set up and playability was very good, but the the pickups sounded kind of blah. Still, a very good deal and a pickup swap would probably greatly improve it.

Spudman
March 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I've played several and actually like them better than their pricier big brothers. The last one was an SE Custom with coil taps and not only did it look and play beautifully it sounded great as well. The dealer had it too high priced for a used guitar for me to think seriously about it. However, I still do.

Katastrophe
March 4th, 2011, 02:40 PM
PRS SE models are great guitars.... At least the newer ones are. I've played a number of singlecuts on my outings and haven't found a bad one. Fit and finish are great, and I absolutely love the neck shapes. The pickups sounded great to my ears.

The necks might not be your cup of tea... They can be pretty chunky.

bigoldron
March 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
As the proud new owner of a Tremonti SE, I've got to say that I LOVE mine! I like the "wide-fat" neck that's on it. I've been having problems playing my thinner necked guitars making my left hand cramp up or go numb. Not happening with the SE....

As for the quality, I think it's really good. The pickups aren't the hottest things in the world, but they do sound decent. But, hey, isn't that what we LOVE to do here on the Fret? Mod/hot rod/tweak our toys? With the right pickups, these guitars can really cook!

The necks come in 2 styles, just like the pricier ones - a wide/fat and a wide/thin. I'm enjoying the wide/fat because it's letting me play without pain. Never been a fat neck fan before, but this one is changing my mind for me. And, the Tremonti looks similar to an LP but without the weight. It's a good player!

If you decide to buy one, I believe you will be happy, especially if you pick up a used one at a good price.

Monkus
March 10th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I have a mahogany SE, stock pickups, rosewood fretboard (I think). After setup, this guitar plays beautifully, easy action, smooth tone. I'll never part with it.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=519371

Duffy
April 21st, 2011, 12:56 AM
I picked up a mint used PRS SE Singlecut tremolo model in tobacco sunburst flammed maple for 250 out the door two or three weeks ago at a local pro music store.

I always wanted one but didn't appreciate the sound of the ones I tried before this one.

This one is probably the most acoustically resonant solid body electric guitar I've played. Plugged in it sounds great but does not have super hot pickups, even by passive pickup standards. I like the sound of the pickups though and just turn up the amp. A lot of people put in new pickups, but supposedly PRS designed these pickups to produce a special sound, so for now I'm leaving mine in and can always change my mind later if I feel like it.

This LP sort of style guitar, uncharacteristically, has a very nice impoved, in my opinion, vintage type tremolo that lets you pull up and press down on the bar thru a good range, while the bridge returns to a flat but raised, parallel to the body, position. The trem arm doesn't look out of place like it does on a lot of LP type guitars with trems. It has real low string action with zero buzzing.

Plugged in it delivers that resonating woody tone thru the amp real well and it is beautiful to listen to it sing. It is a light guitar and comfortable.

I replaced the tuners with Mini Locking Grovers that are direct drop in's. No drilling new anchoring holes or reaming. These are neat tuners and probably help out the trem as far as staying in tune longer, but I don't know yet because I just put on a new set of super slinky's. Probably shouldn't have put slinky's on a tremolo guitar, but I wasn't thinking. I tend to think along the LP line with this guitar. The strings sound great though.

Probably anybody that didn't have a decent electric guitar would be happy with this guitar. It would be a definite improvemet.

I like my Ibanez SZ320 all mahogany superstrat gold top, heavy a## guitar just as much and it has much hotter Ibanez/Duncan open coil humbuckers, but it is a different type of sound and a completely different feel. It is probably one of my best guitars and I got it used for about 200 out the door, new old stock.

Even though there are many other excellent guitars out there both in the hands of us as well as still on the racks, I think this guitar would make a lot of people happy - the whole thing being a subjective matter of preference in the end. I think it could be used for all types of music, generally, with the right effects and amp. In the right hands I'm sure it would be a spectacular guitar.