PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Comes Through

kidsmoke
March 4th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Well, I've been lollygagging on turning some old gear into some new gear. So this morning, I thought I'd put one of my guitars on Craigslist, and see if I'd get any takers. I put it up, with four photos and a honest description, included the shape appropriate gig bag, and listed it at the high side of fair. Keep in mind, this was a 23 year old MIJ Washburn. Lots of surface cracks/checking, buckle rash. This guitar has been played hard for decades. I was very frank about all that in the listing.

I placed the ad at 8:45 am. At 3 pm I was home, with my asking price, in cash, in my pocket. Met the dude in a parking lot, with a tube amp plugged in to a converter. I saw his email, first and last name, and mobile number, in return he got my mobile and a first name. Beyond that, no information was exchanged.

Nice when things go like this. I hope this is a harbinger for what 2011 is going to bring. Just wanted to share the love. :dance:dance:dance

Anyone else had any similarly smooth Craigslist transactions?

tunghaichuan
March 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Anyone else had any similarly smooth Craigslist transactions?

I've been trying to move some excess gear via CL to pay off some bills and have had decent luck. I got rid of my GK 250ML the first day I put it up, the guy who bought it really wanted it. Came over, seemed like a decent chap, paid cash and left. :AOK

Another guy came over and bought an Epi Valve Junior cab. Again, knew what he wanted, came over with cash and bought the cab as soon as I demonstrated it worked.

And weds. a guy came over and bought my Fender Champion 600.

Of course, I've had the usual amount of flakes, spammers, etc. but that is to be expected with CL.

Brian Krashpad
March 6th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I started trying to flip (buy and resell at a profit) the occasional axe last year, did so relatively smoothly with a VM Squier Thinline Tele and a Squier Tom Delonge Strat.

Also, I got a great package deal of an Epi acoustic and a Fender acoustic-electric mandolin for $125, each with a chipboard case and some accessories (tuner, capo). I resold the Epi and it's case within 48 hours for $75 and thus got the Fender mando for $45 net. The mando streets for about $225 new without case, so that was a pretty stellar deal.

Have been looking this year but so far no dice.

Eric
March 6th, 2011, 07:57 AM
This weekend I bought a Bad Monkey off of CL. It was originally listed at $35, I offered $25, he accepted, and ultimately he gave it to me for $20 because I picked it up from him instead of meeting halfway in between. Very nice guy.

Yesterday, I sold off my Crate 50-watter for the same price I paid for it -- $200. I bought it on super-blowout, so it's still a good deal for the guy, but I'm pretty happy overall.

FrankenFretter
March 6th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I sold one of my guitars last year through CL, an SX that was somewhat Jazzmaster-like. I advertised it for $100, hoping to get at least $75 for it. Within a week or so, I had sold it for the full asking price to someone who really seems to appreciate it. Right now I have my Marshall VS100 combo listed, and I've got someone interested in seeing it already. If I get full asking price for that, I'll have the money I spent on my Blackstar HT-5 fully recouped. Crossing my fingers...

Brian Krashpad
March 8th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Break a leg Sean!

FrankenFretter
March 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Break a leg Sean!

Thanks, Brian! Good news! It sold yesterday, and at the full $300 I was asking. The first guy to reply was a gigging musician who brought his Jackson Kelly over to test out the amph. He loved it (I did too....just too loud for my neighbors). The guy was a great player too, had some real chops.

I also sold my Artec Blender pedal to a guy I work with, so it's been a good week so far. The Blackstar is more than paid for, and I have more room on the pedalboard. The way my luck is running with selling, maybe I should post my brother's Strat down here for him.