get a dutch oven half full of water to a roiling boil

add a teaspoon of peppercorns
some sprigs of tarragon
some sprigs of thyme
several bay leaves
two sliced lemons
2 tablespoons salt
1/2 tspn cayenne

boil all of that for five minutes, turn off the heat.

add a pound of shrimp [for two] stir, then let stand in the water covered for 10 minutes.

you could, of course, add your malted beverage of choice to the water... :cool:

Spudman
March 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Mmmmmm.:drool

Tig
March 7th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Now you got my hunger going!

While I like cooking from scratch, for as long as I can remember I've always cheated when it comes to boiling shrimp and crabs (which is why I love living just minutes from the boats in Seabrook). My Dad and I used to run just 2 crab traps when we were hungry for blue crabs and it took just a day to get enough for a big meal.
My not so secret cheat:
http://www.zatarains.com/Products/Seafood-Boils/Crawfish-Shrimp-and-Crab-Boil-Bag.aspxhttp://www.zatarains.com/%7E/media/Images/Sites/Zatarains/Product%20Pages/Product%20Details/Seafood%20Boils/Crawfish%20Shrimp%20and%20Crab%20Boil%20Bag.ashx?w =204&as=1

Ch0jin
March 7th, 2011, 03:10 AM
You mean there's really such a thing as a "Dutch Oven"? Wow I've learnt something new :)

poodlesrule
March 9th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I always confuse the Dutch oven with its cousin, the German clay-type of "ovens". I have one of those, and I am not sure if really falls in the "Dutch oven" category or not, as it has a technique of its own, with the clay porosity...

MAXIFUNK
March 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I use:
Old Bay seasoning, Fresh garlic diced, crushed red peppers, season salt, chili powder, and fresh sliced lemons or lemon pepper salt.

Spudman
March 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I use:
Old Bay seasoning, Fresh garlic diced, crushed red peppers, season salt, chili powder, and fresh sliced lemons or lemon pepper salt.

All at once?

MAXIFUNK
March 9th, 2011, 05:53 PM
All at once?

Yeah, thrown into the pot of water to boil the shrimp in.

Childbride
March 9th, 2011, 08:53 PM
A 'Dutch oven' is a 4 to 8 quart pot, usually cast iron, with a tight-fitting lid. I'm quite sure any good, deep, well-conducting pot would certainly work!

Beerman
March 10th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Forgive the thread hijack but on the subject of food (seafood)...
My younger, photographer brother had been asked by his employer (our local paper) to do a video on how to boil crawfish. Since yesterday was the beginning of Lent for Catholics and we are forced to eat seafood (oh the pain!) lots of folks eat tons of crawfish this time of year. Everyone has their own recipe and unless you just use plain water, you almost can't mess things up.
While I love his crawfish, I like mine better. :P
You can watch the 10 minute video here: http://videos.nola.c...boil_101_3.html

mrmudcat
March 27th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Yum yum......C.B. you go girl!!!!