View Full Version : Spookbox 1st video ready

deeaa
March 8th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Just did this this morning...recorded it last night before band practice:

7a3gNfwyp4o

Comments welcome!

Ch0jin
March 8th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I dig it!!! (and not only because I have that exact same t-shirt) I'm assuming you guys used one or two cameras and played the song over and over again? I was in a short film project playing bass in a punk band a couple of years ago and one scene had us playing "live" (with a rent-a-crowd) and I was amazed how long it took to shoot one song! We only had the one camera operator and to get all the cool angles and stuff we must have belted the same song out a dozen times in a row or more!

deeaa
March 8th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Yeah, one camera...first it was on a stand and we played the song twice, and then we shot each of us playing it more or less alone, shining colored lights at the person in question. That makes six shoots, around 30 minutes spent shooting. Then I just transferred them to my PC and mucked about with them for a few hours till I got it reasonably mixed up chaotic and that's it :-)

Rockermann
March 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Well done, Dee! You did a great job on the editing. Very professional.

stingx
March 8th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I like the video production, Dee. Kudos on the editing. I like the song you are playing and it sounds really good, esp. being compressed by youtube. One thing though, being a big guy I find that room you're in to be very tight. I don't think I could last 2 minutes in there :)

Ch0jin
March 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM
One thing though, being a big guy I find that room you're in to be very tight. I don't think I could last 2 minutes in there :)

In practical terms I agree with ya (I'm 6'3" and we use a massive rehearsal space) but in that video I think the appearance of having everyone on top of each other works extremely well from an artistic point of view. Although as far as tight spaces go, I think that Cure video for "close to me" where he's in the cupboard has it won :)

Eric
March 8th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I agree on all counts. Nice video, and my first thought was how it looks like you guys are playing in a closet. I'm almost sure I'd accidentally smack some dude in the face with my guitar if I was playing in that space.

syo
March 8th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Then I just transferred them to my PC and mucked about with them for a few hours till I got it reasonably mixed up chaotic and that's it :-)

I like it alot deeaa! Looks like you were playing together in a phonebooth. :D
But seriously you threw that together in just a "few hours"? That's impressive.

As for specific comments (from a direction standpoint), I think the claustrophobic nature of it along with your real punchy energetic song might benefit from more demonstrative, perhaps over the top performances, gestures and random flailing about. Also equipment being smashed and explosions could be a nice touch too... ;)

Seriously though terrific all the way around. A solid 4 out of 5 thumbs up!

:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK

syo
March 8th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Actually as I was writing the above I was specifically thinking about the "live" (not) band shots in the below video. Great sense of humor, nice energy (if a bit smacked out).
When the minor mosh starts around 3:09. Also, I always liked Bradley's "solo" around 1:37. Classic...

CeMeDihwyrg

deeaa
March 8th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks fellas! The room isn't very small actually...I've played in rehearsal spaces literally under half that size...it's about 7x9 yards I'd say, never measured it properly. Behind the camera there's the other band's equipment with a HUGE twin-kickdrum set, and there's enough room in between to have a pretty nice sized coffee table and still enough room to stand around and play for at least 5-6 people.

The camera has a slight fisheye lense, though, and I put it up as high as I could (over 3 yards, near the ceiling) and we tried to sort of pack in front of it a little, I guess that helped to make a sorta closed in effect.

As for editing, I'm really surprised how it turned out, I thought it would have been much more sucky...the way I did it is I just let the song run in the editor and selected a video track and then kept hitting 'split' more or less to the beat with each track.

Then I just deleted those split parts here and there from all the tracks so they jump up alternating, and the rest was just semi-random dropping of effects here and there and yanking at opacity and time stretch and compress sliders on the tracks...most of the time went into learning how to do it, I've never really used a video editor to create a video from many streams before, although I did sort of direct a rock video once way back...but I had an editor to do the manual labor in that project, I just told them where to put the cameras and what to do and act etc.

Always loved mixing music, now I think I might really like making videos...I oughtta get me a proper camera too, that old DV cam pretty much did its last performance shooting this vid...I had to jam a screwdriver in the cassette bay to get it to playback the video or it just gave me stripes. Well it's a 6-year old camcorder...I want a proper one with no tapes this time...when I get some money...:-(

syo
March 9th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I oughtta get me a proper camera too, that old DV cam pretty much did its last performance shooting this vid...I had to jam a screwdriver in the cassette bay to get it to playback the video or it just gave me stripes. Well it's a 6-year old camcorder...I want a proper one with no tapes this time...when I get some money...:-(

This one made me laugh deeaa. Seems you are always jimmying or otherwise patching this and that together to get things to work. Or just for fun with your guitar creations.

Maybe I could use your editing skills for some Hell Guitar promos. Would you accept gear for skills?

deeaa
March 9th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Hell yeah, but I'm not too sure I have the sufficient skillz :-) What did you have in mind for the promos, if I can help with something sure I'd be happy to try.

Jimi75
March 11th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I only now had the chance to watch this actually. Wow, you made a great video. The angle of the camera reminded me a little bit of a Metallica video from their Load/Reload era....don't ask me which one.
The song is cool, too and the video really spreads a professional atmosphere. I also like the "in the closet" look :)

marnold
March 11th, 2011, 02:41 PM
That is without a doubt the finest hard rock Finnish homebrew video I've seen today! :)

Seriously, though, I liked the video and the song quite a lot. Good stuff.

Katastrophe
March 11th, 2011, 05:22 PM
RAWK! I completely dig it, Dee. Great job!