PDA

View Full Version : First Solo Piece

R_of_G
March 8th, 2011, 07:32 AM
As I'd mentioned in SVL's "what have I gotten myself into?" thread, I was asked to play some original music at the wedding of some close friends.

The performance, which was Feb. 26, went pretty well. I got a lot of very positive feedback from friends and particularly from the bride and groom which is really all I cared about as it was their day.

Yesterday I attempted to record the piece. As it lends itself to improvisation, this is not precisely how I played it at the wedding, but it's a fairly representative version of how I've been playing it. Though I may eventually play around with overdubbing and perhaps editing parts in/out, I wanted at least one recording of it played in a single take like I did at the wedding. This is that...

http://www.box.net/shared/7irb0borr3

ps. Don't let the title fool you. The couple's first names begin with S and M, it was not an S&M wedding. :rollover

Lev
March 8th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Very nice indeed R_of_G. I like the restraint you showed in letting the melody breath without over playing, made for a very atmospheric vibe.

Tig
March 8th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Simply... beautiful.
It is an emotionally honest piece of music. Well done, R_of_G!

I can hear the phrasing influence of Frisell.

Jimi75
March 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Congratz. Your piece of music creates a beatiful atmosphere. I really like the layers of tremolo and how you pay close attention to let the melody breath through the chords.

kidsmoke
March 8th, 2011, 11:20 AM
:applause:applause:applause

It's been said above. Thanks for sharing.

R_of_G
March 8th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Thank you very much guys. I appreciate your taking the time to listen and provide constructive feedback like this. It would appear from your feedback that I accomplished exactly what I set out to with this piece. That's pretty gratifying right there.

sunvalleylaw
March 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Very Cool R_of_G! I like simple melodies that emote and express. This one does, and your thought about what would be nice for your friends' wedding shows. The vibrato is very reminiscent of the vibrato in my old Fender from pre reverb days. It is a very nice sound providing a nice texture over which to play melody. What did you use for the effect?

Congrats on your nice creation!

tunghaichuan
March 9th, 2011, 12:48 PM
:applause:applause:applause:applause

Very nice, Jayson. I enjoyed that a great deal.

:AOK

Katastrophe
March 9th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Melodic, atmospheric, hypnotizing and beautiful. Very relaxing piece of work. I dig it.

Eric
March 9th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Cool stuff. That tremolo effect adds a lot.

R_of_G
March 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks guys for your thoughts. I appreciate it a lot.

The vibrato is very reminiscent of the vibrato in my old Fender from pre reverb days. It is a very nice sound providing a nice texture over which to play melody. What did you use for the effect?

I used the built-in tremolo and reverb on my Vox AD15VT and played my Gibson ES-135.

stingx
March 10th, 2011, 03:57 PM
R'oG I listened to this this morning and just again. I enjoyed listening to this. Dig the trem effect usage. :AOK

R_of_G
March 10th, 2011, 04:25 PM
R'oG I listened to this this morning and just again. I enjoyed listening to this. Dig the trem effect usage. :AOK

Thank you kindly. It seems to be the effect that most suits the way I play.

Pickngrin
March 10th, 2011, 09:03 PM
R_of_G - What a special gift for your newlywed friends. I agree with what others have said, the tremolo works really well on your composition. Great job.

R_of_G
March 11th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Thank you Pickngrin.