PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Pod

Hogfullofblues
November 12th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Santa came early to the Hog household and brought me a Podxt. I just had to promise I'll box it back up, wrap it, and stick it under the tree at the appropriate time. So far, all I can say is: OH MY POD! :eek:
And that is after utilizing maybe 10% of what this thing and the software can do. I've been fretting (pun intented) over which of the many digital devices would be the best choice for me for weeks and decided on the pod after much research, including here. Thanks to Lev for pointing this out. Besides alleviating some built up GAS, this aquisition has proven to be a real motivator and already pointed out some technique issues I have at volume to work on (and lot of others). But I did pull off my first touch harmonic (once) and am starting to figure out what those knobs and switches on the guitar actually do! So now it's back to Dolphin Street and Robert's Back In Black lesson. Problem is, as soon as I hit the first power chord I start smiling and nodding my head and forget to go on! :R

Spudman
November 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Great Hog. Those Pods are awesome. Soon you are going to be asking yourself how you ever lived without one.
Don't forget that there are patches for them all over the web so until you get the programming part down you can use all the wild stuff others have already come up with.
That's one of the best features, being able to instantly access whole libraries of great guitar sounds.

Nelskie
November 12th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Hog - Make sure you check out some of the links listed on my POD thread - there are tons of killer L6 tone patches out there just waiting to be unleashed. Here are the links:

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=7258&postcount=6
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=290

Also, make sure you get set-up on the Line 6 website & forum. Line 6 Custom Tone always has the latest patches, and the forum is a great place to learn some tips about using your PODxt.

http://line6.com/customtone/library/index.html?productID=12&type=user&compatible=1
http://www.line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I know I've said this on other POD-related threads, but its worth saying again. To really attain the maximum benefits of the PODxt and its many features, you're going to need to spend some time with it. That involves reading, learning, and playing. So be prepared for that from the get-go. A lot of former PODXt users who've tried it, and then moved on cite the unit's learning curve as one of the things that turned them away. But for the player who can remain committed and enthusiastic about staying on the path - - the rewards are many. I now count myself among those players.:)

It sounds like you've already had a little "taste" of what the PODxt can do. So, with that - congratulations on your new PODxt. What lies before you is a brave new world of guitar tone . . . and endless possibilities. ;)

Hogfullofblues
November 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks for posting those links to you posts again, Nels. I had read them all before, but in my present state of excitment, it slipped my mind to go back and check out the links you provided.
Good advice too. Although it does surprise me that the Pod has its detractors. Sure, there are soooo many possible combinations and variables that it may seem overwhelming and indeed endless, but it seems to me that is really a good thing. With nothing more than the loaded presets and the Line 6 library I have been smilin and busy as a beaver for many hours and haven't even scratched that surface.
I can also see the reading and learning part as automatic. My pinky aches right now I've been playin so much this weekend, so I'll be checkin out your links, downloading and reading. I can see this happening a lot.

SuperSwede
November 12th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Hog! Welcome to the wonderful world of amp modeling!! Your tonal future looks bright indeed.

Justaguyin_nc
November 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Great to hear you got a hogfullofPOD going on! Look forward to hearing some HogPod..:)

Lev
November 13th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I just had to promise I'll box it back up, wrap it, and stick it under the tree at the appropriate time. :R

.....oh, like that's gonna happen!! ;)

Glad, you're enjoying it Hog. If you don't aleady have a great set of speakers, then I'd highly recommend you spend as much as you can them too (maybe Santa can be extra generous!). PLug this thing into some quality studio monitors or into a PC with great speakers and it will blow you away. I started out using it with headphones and it started to hurt my ears after a while. It's an absolute gem for recording, I'm looking forward to hearing some of your recordings soon!!

kerc
November 13th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Hog, PODs are awesome, and priceless for home recording. Congrats!

zeusse
November 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM
Lots of good patches around I'll rumage around and find you some great tones I know a few podxt players around the net that have some awesome tones you'll just freak over...I will get them for you and figure out how to post them here

stingx
November 21st, 2006, 08:20 PM
Here's a few patches that'll keep you busy. I am at 3.x firmware with all model packs however I included patches for many firmware versions.

stingx
November 21st, 2006, 08:21 PM
More...have fun with them! :R

I have been a huge proponent of Line 6 products. I bought my XT in '03 along with the shortboard. Very few companies keep a product going for one year nevermind over 3! Line 6 constantly adds new updates to the Pod family and they have a HUGE fan base. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your Pod as I have. The XT actually made me record more because it was no longer a chore to achieve a great sound on a recording.

Hogfullofblues
November 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks a bunch, Sting. These should keep me busy for a while!