PDA

View Full Version : Something new from Gibson: GEM pickups

ZMAN
March 8th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Apparently there is a new series of pickups being manufactured for some of Gibson's Gothic guitars. They seem to be something that will eventually be part of a lot of other guitars.
They sound very interesting!

Both guitars feature Gibson USA's new GEM (Gibson Electronics Manufacturing) active pickups. Made in the image of Gibson's own PAF ("Patent Applied For") humbuckers, the GEMs have Alnico II magnets and coils wound with 42 AWG enamel-coated wire. They also include active electronics for greatly improved output and extremely low-noise performance. The GEMs are powered by a single 9-volt battery that yields approximately 1500 hours of service. They have a voice and playing feel akin to Gibson's popular Burstbuckers, with all of that humbucker's characteristic "smooth with edge" tonal response, and they are immune to the loading effects of volume and tone potentiometers. They offer an extremely fast transient response for unprecedented articulation (yet with all the classic humbucker warmth and smoothness), and are extremely compatible with both effects pedals and clean amp settings. Suitable for all styles of music, the GEM active pickups represent a huge leap forward in performance and versatility.

FrankenFretter
March 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
That actually sounds like it might be a good thing for once. Gibson hasn't been hitting many home runs lately. I'd like to try those out. Not sure how I feel about their Gothic line, but I am willing to give 'em a try.

MAXIFUNK
March 9th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I liked the look of the LP but the 50's neck killed any real interest on my part. But the pickups could be cool only time will tell.

ZMAN
March 9th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I am not a fan of Gothic guitars. Again I question the wisdom of putting PAF toned pickups in a Gothic guitar. Of course I know nothing about Gothic guitars and what desired result the owners are going for. I always thought that was more of a heavy metal thing, I bet we will be seing the pickups appear in other non Gothic guitars, once people hear them.

deeaa
March 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
The name made me laugh; GEM - EMG anyone? LOL. Probably another knockoff of EMG's.

But, might be very good. I'm a strong believer in active pickups and so far my choice has been EMG85's which I think are just about perfect pickups with tube amps, but I'd be interested in trying a GEM as well, sure! I just bought a pair of Tesla actives, which are also EMG knockoffs...will take a while till I get to testing them though.