PDA

View Full Version : My Fender Blues Jr. is just stupid loud

progrmr
March 9th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I've been spending more and more time with my Blues Jr. lately - of course the thing barely breaks up unless you crank the pre-amp volume and turn the master down to like 0.25 out of 10! That's good enough for me to hear it clearly but even nudging the master volume just a smidge is loud enough have my neighbors (separate standalone house!) knocking on my door.

I'm considering downsizing to a VOX ACTV4 - max 4 watts, with power attenuator for 0.25W, 1W or 4W. Seems to be a good compromise but I have to admit that I've become pretty fond of the Blues Jr. tone.

I do have a Boss Blues Driver in front of the Fender but it's just not the same as the true tube sound when I crank the pre-amp volume. That's a much lovelier tube crunch.

What do I stand to lose going from the Blues Jr. to the VOX? Is there another way to address my living room rockstar needs w/o bailing on the Blues Jr. ??

Eric
March 9th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I think Fender amps are notorious for jumping in volume. You could try to crank the master and put the gain down really low to see what kind of power-tube distortion you can get out of it at reasonable volumes. In other words, see how sensitive the master volume truly is.

Tig
March 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Try this simple mod from BillM for $10. The 6th one down at this page:
http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=65

Audio-taper master volume control: $10
Hate the way the loudness jumps up between 1 and 2 on the master volume when you’re trying to play quietly? The audio taper control expands the 1-2 range to 6 or so, then things get much louder beyond that. Ideal for home/apartment playing; doesn’t affect maximum loudness. A solder sucker is recommended to remove old pot. The shaft is shorter than stock; aftermarket setscrew knobs will not work; we have an option for Texas Reds, the Series III, and other Blues Juniors that use screw-on knobs.

progrmr
March 9th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Hate the way the loudness jumps up between 1 and 2 on the master volume when you’re trying to play quietly? The audio taper control expands the 1-2 range to 6 or so, then things get much louder beyond that. Ideal for home/apartment playing; doesn’t affect maximum loudness. A solder sucker is recommended to remove old pot. The shaft is shorter than stock; aftermarket setscrew knobs will not work; we have an option for Texas Reds, the Series III, and other Blues Juniors that use screw-on knobs.

Wow - never seen that site before! Not sure how comfortable I am working on my amp, but I do have a decent soldering iron and some skills. Sounds just like what I need!

I've also checked out some youtube videos and people are getting better tones than I am with the Boss Blues Driver - I'm going to spend some time working with the pedal tonight and see if I can get a bit closer to what I'm looking for.

duhvoodooman
March 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Yup, I heartily endorse that modification. The problem isn't the loudness of the amp itself but rather the inability to control the volume effectively at the low end with the stock linear taper master volume pot. And while you're at it, you might want to consider buying the audio taper pot for your BJr's reverb control, as well, if you find it's hard to adjust effectively at the low end. It's the next mod kit down on that same page, also $10. I did both of these mods on my BJr, and now I typically run the master volume between 5 and 6 and the reverb right around 6. Much more useful sweep range on both pots!

BTW, they're the first two control pots from the left in this photo--the stock pots have to be desoldered from the circuit board and replaced with the audio taper versions:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/BJr/BJr_mods_rear-up.jpg

vroomery
March 9th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Is there something like this for the Hot Rod Deluxe? 1-2 is a major jump for me.

otaypanky
March 9th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I used to have one of the NOS tweed versions. Man that was a sweet little amp. I'd live in a cave if I had to, but I could not live somewhere that I wasn't able to just twist the wick on the volume when I felt like it. I feel your pain bro ~~~

ZMAN
March 10th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I have the Blues Junior special edition, and I love that little amp. I am in a position to crank it if I want at home.
What I found is that I am playing my Vibro Champ XD more than any other amp. 5 Watts, and 16 voices, with 16 effects. You can get that BJ tone all day, and even cranked marshall tone. I bought the Super Champ XD to take to my vacation home. I liked it so much I went out and bought the Vibro Champ. I will keep the Super at home.
For your case the Super with 15 watts might be overkill, so I would recommend the Vibro Champ XD. I was able to get mine in mint condition for 125 used. So for about the price of a decent pedal I have a wonderful amp.

progrmr
March 10th, 2011, 07:55 AM
How did the Vibro Champ slip by me?? Sounds great!

ehD3TgcE5G8

progrmr
March 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM
After watching YouTube videos all morning I went out at lunch and picked up the Vibro Champ XD - can't wait to get home and start putting it's through it's paces.

not sure if I'm going to sell off the Blues Jr...I'll probably wait until the VCXD honeymoon period goes by and make a decision then. Looks to be a great amp for $200 though.

ZMAN
March 10th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I use voice 7 with the gain fairly high, and for effects I use reverb/delay. Gives that little slap back. I ususally have the bass on full and the treble really low. I was playing my Super Champ today with my new Gibby SG Standard. It just sounds amazing.
If you want the basic clean blues junior tone I think it is 3 on the voice. I really am amazed at how nice the Vibro Champ sounds even with that 8 inch speaker. I have a Vox Pathfinder 15 R at my vacation home and I will be bringing it back to sell.
There is no comparison to my Vibro. I was very lucky to get the one I did so cheap. It is absolutely perfect. I even got all the hang tags and that top cardboard display piece with it. I am sure you will not be dissappointed.
One thing you have to remember with this amp. If you change voices you will probably need to adjust the levels to suit your taste. But the tone makes it worth it.

progrmr
March 10th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Well all I can say is this amp is perfect. I've only played my Epi LP Special p-90's and Peavey strat with the fender noiseless pickups through the amp so far so all single coils.

So many of the voicings are usable - and one thing I noticed about this amp is that the controls on the guitar go a long way towards getting the sound you're looking for. With other amps using the volume and tone doesn't affect the tone positively. Rolling off the tone on the guitar with this amp results in a clear not muddy tone.

Just the right amount of grit can be dialed in with the gain control. This amp is no slouch either when it comes to volume - with the gain about 8 and the volume at five it's pretty darn loud.

There's cleans, dirty blues, classic rock, rock and metal tones to be had with this amp. Fender really has a hit on it's hands with this amp. 100% awesome IMO.

Katastrophe
March 10th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Is this the Blues Jr. you're talking about, or did you get the Vibro Champ XD?

ZMAN
March 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Well all I can say is this amp is perfect. I've only played my Epi LP Special p-90's and Peavey strat with the fender noiseless pickups through the amp so far so all single coils.

So many of the voicings are usable - and one thing I noticed about this amp is that the controls on the guitar go a long way towards getting the sound you're looking for. With other amps using the volume and tone doesn't affect the tone positively. Rolling off the tone on the guitar with this amp results in a clear not muddy tone.

Just the right amount of grit can be dialed in with the gain control. This amp is no slouch either when it comes to volume - with the gain about 8 and the volume at five it's pretty darn loud.

There's cleans, dirty blues, classic rock, rock and metal tones to be had with this amp. Fender really has a hit on it's hands with this amp. 100% awesome IMO.
I was a skeptic about modellers. I agree with you on this amp. They are just about perfect for home use, and I am sure with the Super Champ and a PA you could gig with it.

progrmr
March 10th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Is this the Blues Jr. you're talking about, or did you get the Vibro Champ XD?

I picked up the Vibro Champ XD