PDA

View Full Version : HD500 Dual Amps - Dr Z + /13

Robert
March 10th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Here's my first dual amp setup with the HD500. Great bluesy tone!

I plugged it into my audio interface on my computer - no amp used. I tried to show how adding an Eq pedal, Vetta Comp and Overdrive model each affect the tone, very much like a real amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaGk0bMI82g

stingx
March 10th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I like the sound you got by combining those two amp models, Robert. In my opinion one of the shortcomings of amp modeling has always been the ability to get that early breakup/bluesy sound just right. I have to say that these new modelers - the HD500 you're playing and the new Fender Mustangs, in particular, have really begun to excel at it. That tone would work convincingly well live or recorded.

I'm giving you extra credit for your shirt, by the way :)

Spudman
March 10th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I have to say that the HD500 seems to be the best sounding and playing unit that Line 6 has come out with yet. Do you like the feel or touch of the unit compared to your tube amphs?

helliott
March 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Sounds great. Further to Spud's question, could you see using it in a gig setting?

stingx
March 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
My only beef with my long love affair of Line 6 modelers was that you needed to maintain two sets of patches if you ever played live with it. A particular patch might sound fantastic in your home recording but off in a rehearsal or gig. That aside, I did love connecting my XT into the PA of the large rehearsal space we used to have. It sounded heavenly :)

Tig
March 10th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Very nice demo, Robert.
The patch turned out well. Plenty of tonal range with some good ol' rock when I kick in the compression, plus mid-boost dynamics with the EQ on.

While the HD isn't as touch sensitive as playing straight into a tube amp, you don't loose nearly as much as with most multi-FX systems. You still have to have an honest technique! ;)

helliott
March 10th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I had not bad luck running my tonelab through a clean tube amp, no gain. Issue with running through the board in my bands is no one else does, other than strategic drum mics, so it sounds weird having one guitar front of house and the rest backline. Hence the amp, which isn't ideal, but also sounds pretty good. Watching all the HD 500 demos, especially Robert's, has me jonesin for one.

Robert
March 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I like the feel, yes. I tweaked this dual amp set up so it would be very much like the type tone I usually go for. I can use it live, yes. I haven't tried in a PA, but I normally do not like doing that. If I could run it into some kind of amp that gives me the sound I get on my computer, I would have no problems using it for a gig.

Actually, I could also use it in front of a tube amp just like I do with the M9. The difference is I could easier switch between effect presets. Amp sims and cab sims can easily be turned off.

With any unit like this, my recommendation is to work out a set up that works for gigging, ie using powered monitors or atomic power cab, etc. I wouldn't rely on just always plugging it into any kind of PA for a gig - too uncertain results, because a unit like this can sound very different depending on what it is being played through. Speaker, especially, are very unforgiving sometimes.

Jimi75
March 15th, 2011, 06:51 AM
That is a very nice sound. The perfect mixture of slight overdrive and cleans. A great preset for the HD500 users. Well done Robert and of course superb playing again!

Robert
March 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jimi. I guess I should have turned down my lapel mic as I was playing. I got several complaints from people who could hear the acoustic string noise and my use of the pick coming through... oh well.

Eric
March 15th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I guess I should have turned down my lapel mic as I was playing. I got several complaints from people who could hear the acoustic string noise and my use of the pick coming through... oh well.
Yeah that's a bit of a distraction for me too, but I'm just not good at identifying it as an issue. Thank goodness for Youtube trolls.

On that note, is pick attack something you try to get to come through as part of your tone? It's something that has never much crossed my mind on electric guitar before.

Robert
March 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I try to avoid getting the pick attack to sound. When doing videos, it can easily happen of course, since the mic is close to me playing. I can fix it when editing the video, but I forgot to do that this time. It's also a lot more work to edit the video that way... but trolls are trolls.

Eric
March 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I try to avoid getting the pick attack to sound.
Hmm. I wonder if some people (my instinct says maybe people who play with cleaner tones) like the pick attack to come through. Isn't the traditional SRV tone kind of like that?