PDA

View Full Version : My next project: Converting the Tele

FrankenFretter
March 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Last year I bought a White Bridge Tele clone, and right from the get-go I've had plans in mind. I really like the guitar, but I want to add some unique character to it. Here's what it looks like now:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TMHD7MYncmI/AAAAAAAAAoI/m8T8Wqv8PsM/s400/100_2117.JPG

And here's what I'd like it to look like when I'm through:

http://www.thefret.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2265&d=1299813417

One slight difference, possibly. I may put a GFS Dream 90 in the neck instead of a humbucker, at least to start with. If I like it, I'll probably leave it. If it's kind of...meh...then I'll swap it for one of my many magnet swap recipients. It will also get a 4-way switch for the series/parallel option, a Russian PIO tone cap (.033) and CTS pots. Oh yeah, and the knobs will actually be black, not chrome.

So, what do you think, gang? Thumbs up, or not so much? Most of the parts will be here in about a week or so, and surgery will hopefully start soon after, time allowing. Should be fun!

Eric
March 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I like everything but the headstock color. Keep us updated on the progress!

t_ross33
March 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM
The Dream 90 works great in the neck position ;)

FrankenFretter
March 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM
The Dream 90 works great in the neck position ;)

That's good, because that's what I have already. I considered getting a Mean 90, but I already have the Dream from a trade.

I like everything but the headstock color.

Ah, are you one of those "I don't like matching headstocks" people, Eric? Understandable. If I get lazy, I may leave it natural. Hard to say at this point.

Katastrophe
March 10th, 2011, 10:52 PM
DO IT! I think the matching headstock on a black tele w/ maple fretboard looks cool!

bcdon
March 10th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I would throw in a Seymour Duncan Blackout pup (or two!); then you'll have a really blacked-out tele! :dude

However, I'm with Eric, leave the paint off the headstock.

FrankenFretter
March 10th, 2011, 10:58 PM
DO IT! I think the matching headstock on a black tele w/ maple fretboard looks cool!

Thanks, Kat!

I would throw in a Seymour Duncan Blackout pup (or two!); then you'll have a really blacked-out tele!

METAL! Yeah, too much for this guitar. Maybe the next Tele, though!

FrankenFretter
March 16th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Update: Just got a text from the future Mrs. FrankenFretter that my parts came today. That would be the pickguard, new control plate and dome knobs, CTS pots, Russian PIO tone cap (got that for free), Graphtec nut and a high quality four-way switch. I already have the Wilkinson bridge with compensated brass saddles. I didn't buy tuners, and I'm not sure if I will or not. If I find that the remaining chrome really bugs me, than I'll look for some black ones, but the Wilkinsons that are on there now are good tuners.

I downloaded the wiring schematic for the four way wiring, but I don't like the way the switch positions are. I'm not sure I'm competent enough to change the schematic, though. I'll probably just learn to live with it.

FrankenFretter
March 21st, 2011, 06:02 PM
Well, I started the project today. I figured I'd start by doing the humbucker routing for the Dream 90. I finally tried out my router attachment for my Dremel, and it worked great...for a while. I got about half done, and the bit quit turning. I think the clutch went out. I was not happy, but the future Mrs. FrankenFretter has a Dremel of her own. I politely asked to borrow it (I did play the birthday card, though), and took it upstairs in hope of finishing the job. Turns out that the router attachment doesn't fit her Dremel. Ironic, because the router stuff came with her Dremel when she bought it on Ebay.

Crap.

I also found out that the knobs that I bought don't fit the solid shaft CTS pots I bought at the same time.

Double crap.

This is turning out to be one of those projects that's not going to get done in a weekend. I should have known better. I'll try taking my Dremel back to Sears (it's a Craftsman branded tool) to see if they'll honor the lifetime warranty. I've heard that they're not very good about that anymore, which sucks since at the time I bought the thing it was a big selling point that if anything ever went wrong, I could just take it back and they'd replace it.

player
March 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
taking my Dremel back to Sears (it's a Craftsman branded tool) to see if they'll honor the lifetime warranty. I've heard that they're not very good about that anymore, which sucks since at the time I bought the thing it was a big selling point that if anything ever went wrong, I could just take it back and they'd replace it. if by any chance you still have the receipt they have to honor it and replace although just this last month had two Craftsman tools bite the dust(what are the odds) and were replaced on the spot. it has to be the Sears store proper Not an outlet which has less chance of even stocking your tool or parts.

FrankenFretter
March 22nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
if by any chance you still have the receipt they have to honor it and replace although just this last month had two Craftsman tools bite the dust(what are the odds) and were replaced on the spot. it has to be the Sears store proper Not an outlet which has less chance of even stocking your tool or parts.

No chance I still have the receipt; it's been years since I bought it. I'm hoping they'll still honor their end, though.

deeaa
March 23rd, 2011, 04:13 AM
I like everything but the headstock color. Keep us updated on the progress!

+1 leave the headstock plain is better IMHO too, otherwise go for it!

guitarhack
March 23rd, 2011, 06:33 AM
Actually I like the headstock in black.

Commodore 64
March 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Just some random thoughts:

I like the headstock black.

I did the same thing with knobs and solid shaft pots. Had to order knobs with set screws.

I also used a Dremel to make PUP holes for a P-90. It looks fine from 10 feet away (lol).

FrankenFretter
March 23rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Just some random thoughts:

I like the headstock black.

I did the same thing with knobs and solid shaft pots. Had to order knobs with set screws.

I also used a Dremel to make PUP holes for a P-90. It looks fine from 10 feet away (lol).

My knobs (two different sets, btw) are set screw...but they don't fit. The guy I bought everything from is sending me new split-shaft pots.

It sucks that the Dremel broke, because it actually was doing a good job. I was pretty impressed.

deeaa
March 24th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Most of the time, I like a black headstock just fine. I even made my current build headstock black, it's only on strats and teles that it looks a little weird I guess.
But, it might look just right when done...interested to see pics when it's done for sure!

Jipes
March 24th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Looks classy except for the neck pickup cover I would rather put a gold cover it suits better a black body

deeaa
March 24th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Ah - there's another interesting / dividing issue...gold hardware. Is it OK to mix and match gold and chrome, or not? Or how about black altogether?

I once actually painted my gold pickups black, dunno how much sense that made...but anyway, I'd go for black open-coils meself.
But, these are all very much taste issues. Whatever it will be, it's gonna look real neat when done. Even the black headstock is growing on me slowly.

Jipes
March 24th, 2011, 08:03 AM
You're right would probably be better to avoid mixing the two :AOK All Black is another option specially with the mapple fingerboard

FrankenFretter
March 24th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Initially, this will be in the neck position:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/assets/images/thumbs/dr90whpenepo.jpg

If I like it, it will stay there. If not, I have open coil and covered options. I could always buy a black cover for the PAF style pickup. Not sure which way I'll go yet. I also haven't ordered any black tuners yet. I haven't been able to find any black Wilkinsons that are in my price range.

Commodore 64
March 28th, 2011, 08:36 AM
If I like it, it will stay there. If not, I have open coil and covered options. I could always buy a black cover for the PAF style pickup. Not sure which way I'll go yet. I also haven't ordered any black tuners yet. I haven't been able to find any black Wilkinsons that are in my price range.

$20 is too much? (http://www.azguitarparts.com/machine.html)

FrankenFretter
March 28th, 2011, 12:57 PM
$20 is too much? (http://www.azguitarparts.com/machine.html)

Thanks for the link, C64! Looks like some good prices. Have you used them before?

Commodore 64
March 28th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I used the black, locking tuners for $23. I wouldn't use those again, not because they suck, but because the thumb locking ones are easier to lock (for $10 more).

FrankenFretter
October 14th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Just got the neck pickup in the mail. I decided, after much deliberation, to get an Irongear Alchemist 90 (http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_014.htm). I need to rout out the body just a wee bit more for the pickup height tabs, then the soldering and such. Here's a pic of the new pickup:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5OCPIOkNjbg/TpfSVskphDI/AAAAAAAABPo/JbP2X8VLizE/s800/100_2481.JPG

I'll take some updated pics of the Tele soon. I hope the Alchemist lives up to my expectations!

deeaa
October 14th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Hey, what's that in yer avatar? Anything like what I do in the summers like here?
http://www.kuas.net/06/9.jpg

FrankenFretter
October 14th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Hey, what's that in yer avatar? Anything like what I do in the summers like here?
http://www.kuas.net/06/9.jpg

Much like that, but with two .45s and a cigar. ;)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7rN-j1SqseM/Tn5zEVR_PUI/AAAAAAAABN8/XPpoy141Ah8/s640/100_2467.JPG

deeaa
October 14th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Heheh...yeah! I use a .40S&W, 19 rounds to start with makes for just one clip change per course usually. IPSC.

FrankenFretter
October 14th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Heheh...yeah! I use a .40S&W, 19 rounds to start with makes for just one clip change per course usually. IPSC.

I've been considering a .40. Need to try one out first, but the company that makes the .45s I'm shooting in the photo makes a .40 for the same price as their .45s (around $180 US). They're a full composite frame, and very comfortable to shoot.

deeaa
October 14th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Ah, what, 180??? Did you drop out a zero :-) I paid seventeen hundred for my race gun...next I'm looking to buy an AR-15 variant, maybe in .308 but likely just regular .223, and looking to spend something like 3K on it, if I ever get to it that is...haven't had much time for shooting of late.

FrankenFretter
October 14th, 2011, 01:04 AM
The brand is Hi-Point, and they're quite affordable. Not sure if they're available over there, but it might be worth checking on. They're sort of a poor man's Glock. They're not as nice as a Smith and Wesson, or a Sig Sauer, but they're not bad at all. Yeah, one hundred eighty, not eighteen hundred. Half the price of a used Glock 19.

deeaa
October 14th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Nope, don't seem to be available here.

I used to have a Glock 35 as well in .40 but that was, contrary to the usual Glock, a very unrelieable gun indeed.

Katastrophe
October 14th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Nice pics, FF and Dee!

I've owned Glocks, but the grip angle does nothing for me. I'm a 1911 fan myself. Never shot a HiPoint before. I always looked at them with what could be a way too critical eye. I'll have to see if I can try one out sometime.

I've got a relative who's a big fan of the Springfield Armory XD series. I haven't shot one yet, but they do feel comfortable in the hand. I've been wanting to go to the range again. It's been way too long.

Another brand I've been wanting to try is CZ. The CZ75 is a solid firearm, and that, too, feels comfortable in the hand.

deeaa
October 14th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I have owned a CZ75; they're not expensive here, I think I paid ~500 for mine, 9mm.

It's a good small-feeling gun in hand, prone to breaking the slide lever...also modded mine with an ejector spring shortened from an AK-47 one for more reliable ejections. Nice gun, but hardly has the longevity of 1911's or Glocks especially.

Beretta is also a good gun; had a Brigadier for a while, but it's not very handy for IPSC (awkward safeties etc.)

I like my 1911 just fine, but if I were rich, I'd go for an STI or SVI 2011 series gun, those are superb.

And I did like the Glock grip angle - it really needs no aiming at under 3 metre distances, just point as if with your forefinger and shoot, very natural angle for that. Horrible gun for shooting to longer distances.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 14th, 2011, 08:53 AM
"He's the all-American bullet-headed Saxon mother's son"

FrankenFretter
October 14th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Here's a mockup, pickup in place. Looks like I won't have to rout the body any more after all.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-oUjgcOR_kTA/TphdRufCJJI/AAAAAAAABP0/GRnVVkvUsTg/s800/100_2483.JPG

A bit dusty, but that can be taken care of when I'm done.

Tig
October 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
The brand is Hi-Point, and they're quite affordable. Not sure if they're available over there, but it might be worth checking on. They're sort of a poor man's Glock. They're not as nice as a Smith and Wesson, or a Sig Sauer, but they're not bad at all. Yeah, one hundred eighty, not eighteen hundred. Half the price of a used Glock 19.

That is exactly what I'm looking for for home defense. The Remington 870 12GA is a bit cumbersom, but I like shotguns that don't penetrate walls. I sold my S&W 9mm years ago and need a decent yet affordable .40 SW.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/images/40SW_polymer.jpg

Ah, and I can't wait to see the Tele after you complete it.

Eric
October 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'm slightly amazed at the number of gun enthusiasts on here. I've never really seriously considered owning a gun, particularly for home defense, even though I used to have a shotgun for pheasant hunting back when I lived in the midwest. It's just sort of strange to learn that so many people do something that never really occurred to you before, you know?

Bookkeeper's Son
October 14th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Sure, Eric, you have no idea how many burglaries, home invasions, rapes, muggings, etc. are foiled by gun owners.

Right.......

Guns are fun for target practice, but otherwise are only good for mayhem of one kind or another.

Eric
October 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Sure, Eric, you have no idea how many burglaries, home invasions, rapes, muggings, etc. are foiled by gun owners.

Right.......

Guns are fun for target practice, but otherwise are only good for mayhem of one kind or another.
Well, I think that's still up for debate. I've been reading this book (http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Man-Tracing-Violence/dp/073820076X/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318626196&sr=1-7) recently, and am almost done with it. It paints a pretty grim picture of genetically-programmed violence in men and though one-sided, offers up some points for personal gun ownership that merit consideration. It's just interesting stuff to think about if nothing else.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 14th, 2011, 03:11 PM
What's the title of the book? Sounds interesting.

Eric
October 14th, 2011, 03:15 PM
What's the title of the book? Sounds interesting.
The Dark Side of Man: Tracing the Origins of Male Violence. If you'd like, I can mail you the book once I'm finished with it. I seriously have maybe 20 pages left.

Tig
October 14th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I'm certainly no gun enthusiast. I also certainly will never willingly let any part of my family become a victim of a home invasion, for instance. Call it, "better to be prepared for the worst than to later regret about what I could have done" kind of thinking. I'm not some whacky survivalist, but know if things get nasty, it happens quick.

While I don't live in fear, but I try not to live in a "that will never happen to us" bubble. For the record, I'm politically independent, but lean left on most social issues and despise the NRA.

Tig
October 14th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Right.......

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/4296692492_f34b99fa75.jpg

Eric
October 14th, 2011, 05:30 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/4296692492_f34b99fa75.jpg
That's mature.

Eric
October 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM
So Sean, are you still planning to paint the headstock black??

Tig
October 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
That's mature.

Sorry, but I find "trolling" posts to be best handled by humor. If the humor is lost, oh well. I'm just the SOB to call it out, so I'll take my lumps and stick to my personal integrity.

Seriously, beekeeper's son is the most abrasive poster to come along in quite a while. There is nothing else to say other than browse the past posts.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 14th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed!

Eric
October 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Sorry, but I find "trolling" posts to be best handled by humor. If the humor is lost, oh well. I'm just the SOB to call it out, so I'll take my lumps and stick to my personal integrity.

Seriously, beekeeper's son is the most abrasive poster to come along in quite a while. There is nothing else to say other than browse the past posts.
I guess my point would be that it might be gratifying, but you lose a lot of integrity by responding in that way. YMMV, so I'm not sure why I'm typing. I'll quit. Sorry to be a bother.

NWBasser
October 14th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Guns are a very emotional subject for a lot people. I try to keep an even keel view on all that.

I'll have to look it up, but there was a DOJ study which detailed a lot of evidence of gun ownership foiling various crimes. In most cases, the guns were not fired but their presence deterred a potential crime.

Conversely, the oft-told argument that guns are usually turned and used against the gun owner has been completely dispelled.

I don't mean to say that guns are great solution to crime, but it's better to take an objective view.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 14th, 2011, 07:18 PM
There Are Two Kinds of People In The World: Those Who Think There Are Two Kinds of People In The World and Those Who Don’t

Eric
October 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM
There Are Two Kinds of People In The World: Those Who Think There Are Two Kinds of People In The World and Those Who Don’t
The version I heard of that was that there are two kinds of people in the world: those who put people into categories and those who don't. That retort has served me well through the years.

To NWB's point, that book I'm reading tends to agree with what you said: that the presence of a viable retaliation is typically enough to limit violent crime. Oddly enough, it even works in rapes -- women who fight back are significantly less likely to be raped. It's kind of counter-intuitive, at least relative to the current thoughts floating around.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 14th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I don't propose to know anything, I simply have opinions like anybody else. And with complicated subjects, it's often impossible to be sure of anything, so opinions are all we really have. But I'll still err on the side of non-violence. If I thought that I needed a gun to be safe, I'd move to a safer place.

NWBasser
October 14th, 2011, 07:39 PM
One other point; I don't mean to overlook the tremendous amount of gun violence ranging from armed robbery to murder. That significant problem is all too well established.

From a practical standpoint, I can't see how any serious form of gun control could possibly work. There are sooo many firearm-owning citizens and existing guns in the US that enforcement would be about as effective as Prohibition was.

That horse has left the barn.

Eric
October 14th, 2011, 08:03 PM
So...about that tele...

FrankenFretter
October 14th, 2011, 08:12 PM
That is exactly what I'm looking for for home defense. The Remington 870 12GA is a bit cumbersom, but I like shotguns that don't penetrate walls. I sold my S&W 9mm years ago and need a decent yet affordable .40 SW.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/images/40SW_polymer.jpg

Ah, and I can't wait to see the Tele after you complete it.

If you want a .40 that doesn't penetrate walls, look into frangible ammo. I don't even own my own gun anymore, but I have some friends that own enough to arm a third-world nation, so I always have choices of what to shoot. I would like to own a handgun again, but mostly just for going out shooting with friends.

I'm slightly amazed at the number of gun enthusiasts on here. I've never really seriously considered owning a gun, particularly for home defense, even though I used to have a shotgun for pheasant hunting back when I lived in the midwest. It's just sort of strange to learn that so many people do something that never really occurred to you before, you know?

Yeah, I know what you mean. In my case, I grew up around guns (my brother and I took a firearms safety course when we were pretty young, so we weren't dangerous or anything). I have never been hunting, and probably never will. I just enjoy shooting the crap out of inanimate objects once in a while. ;)

deeaa
October 14th, 2011, 11:22 PM

Well, Finland has the largest number of guns per capita along with the U.S...but it's not very apparent, most often you'd never guess somebody had a gun.

But, that home defence thing...that's something that is NOT allowed here by any standards...I mean, if you pulled a gun on a home invader, the chances are you'd end up in way more trouble than the attacker. Exaggeration of force in defence is something that is really looked hard on. If somebody punches you, you take him to courts; if you punch him back you're already guilty of more than the attacker basically, not just being in a fight but aggravating an existing one...and if you use MORE force than the attacker, i.e.pull a knife, no matter if it's home defence or what, it's still automatically an assault charge / intent to kill or something.

I keep my house doors open usually all day and night, but my guns locked in basement...if there was a burglary or such, I'd first try to talk them out, then at worst get a baseball bat or something...there are cases where just scaring a would-be burglar with an UNLOADED gun, just showing it to them, has brought charges against the homeowner. And you'd lose your gun licence in a jiffy too.

So yeah, guns are DEFINITELY not for home defence here. The only possible grounds to get a licence for gun is sports, and it usually takes a year or more to get one, and entails a great amount of applications, mandatory courses in gun handling, a shooting diary for a year with a borrowed/club gun, and even a doctor/psychiatric assesment usually at least for handguns.

deeaa
October 14th, 2011, 11:29 PM
"better to be prepared for the worst than to later regret about what I could have done" kind of thinking. I'm not some whacky survivalist, but know if things get nasty, it happens quick.

It's likely very different here...I do not know of a single case ever where a home would have been intruded in a way that would merit gun defence...ever. Of course we have plenty of murders and whatnot too, but they are almost 100% done between criminals/drug users/alcoholists by far, even if we do have had school shootings even etc.

I don't think a normal family who have no ties to the criminal community has ever fallen a victim of something like that. I'd say almost always when a family needs protection, it's a family member who's the culprit- a father laid off work starts shooting in the air and causes a police situation, a battered wife knives a drunken abusive husband, some unemployed guys fight while drunk and someone gets killed...those are very Finnish crimes.

But basically, I don't need to lock my doors at night.

FrankenFretter
October 14th, 2011, 11:38 PM
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/attachments/month_1107/Derailed_swbAdFWJHDRG.jpg

Eric, the headstock has been painted black. I guess I don't have pics of that yet, but they will come.

I may do some work on the Tele tomorrow. I didn't bring my drill home from work, so I'll have to leave the pickguard mounting for another day. I originally planned on rebuilding my desktop computer tomorrow with new parts, but being the dummy-head I am, I forgot to order SATA cables, and Molex to SATA power adapters. D'oh!

deeaa
October 14th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I originally planned on rebuilding my desktop computer tomorrow with new parts, but being the dummy-head I am, I forgot to order SATA cables, and Molex to SATA power adapters. D'oh!

Man, I'd have a plastic bag full of that kind of stuff...if I were near there I'd throw u a few :-) they always include a ton of those with motherboards as well as PSU's, and it seems I've amassed quite a collection.

cebreez
October 15th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I did too deeaa. Then I finally got around to cleaning up and carried 5 boxes of that stuff to a kid I know fresh out of High School who was really into computers.

FRANKENFRETTER.... Sorry.. too much coffee. How about a middle single coil in that thing!!! Other than that I really love what your doing. Cant wait to see it finished!

FrankenFretter
October 15th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I did too deeaa. Then I finally got around to cleaning up and carried 5 boxes of that stuff to a kid I know fresh out of High School who was really into computers.

FRANKENFRETTER.... Sorry.. too much coffee. How about a middle single coil in that thing!!! Other than that I really love what your doing. Cant wait to see it finished!

Maybe on the next Tele build, I'll do a Nashville Tele. Actually, now I'm gassing for a Tele Deluxe. Then maybe a Thinline Tele. Yeah, I've got some serious Tele GAS.

FrankenFretter
October 15th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I did too deeaa. Then I finally got around to cleaning up and carried 5 boxes of that stuff to a kid I know fresh out of High School who was really into computers. <br>
<br>
FRANKENFRETTER.... Sorry.. too much coffee. How about a middle single coil in that thing!!! Other than that I really love what your doing. Cant wait to see it finished!<br><br>Maybe on the next Tele build, I'll do a Nashville Tele. Actually, now I'm gassing for a Tele Deluxe. Then maybe a Thinline Tele. Yeah, I've got some serious Tele GAS.