PDA

View Full Version : Big earthquake hits Japan... Syo, check in, brother!

Katastrophe
March 11th, 2011, 08:02 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake_27

Syo, I hope you're all right. Check in when you can.

stingx
March 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM
This looks absolutely devistating...

X4lIFEDFYIw

My heart goes out to them, especially those poor villagers.

Robert
March 11th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Oh no, that is terrible. Syo, check in!

otaypanky
March 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I hope he's ok. His profile said he was on here at 7:30 this morning.
The devastation is beyond comprehension.

Monkus
March 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM
hope he is ok as well, last count 40 confirmed and hundreds missing. Internet is down as well.

Tig
March 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I'm hoping Syo is busy watching the coverage, comfortable in his undamaged home. I'm not sure where he lives versus the epicenter location.

This is the biggest to hit Japan in any living person's history. The same goes with the expected tsunami for the upper US coast (it could be small or huge, they don't yet know). The waves at Maui were only 8 feet, but those were wrap-arounds.

kidsmoke
March 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM
incomprehensible devastation. Makes Katrina look like a Thunderstorm by comparison. Look forward to hearing SYO. Prayers to everyone in Japan. No one will escape being dramatically impacted in that country.

Tig
March 11th, 2011, 09:40 AM
My wife and I have been saying several times over the last year that there have been more earth quakes lately than ever before. Increased frequency as well as at locations that aren't normally considered seismic zones.
Strange indeed...

duhvoodooman
March 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I suspect Syo may be w/o power and internet access for a while. Hopefully, he's A-OK....

stingx
March 11th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Maybe...just got word from my friend that he and his family are ok.

bcdon
March 11th, 2011, 10:07 AM
How horrible! Syo lives down south http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himeji so hopefully is out of range of this. What a terrible tragedy!

http://static.reuters.com/resources/media/global/editorial/interactives/JapanQuake/QUAKE-PACIFIC-C.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Japan_location_map_with_side_map_of_the_Ryukyu_Isl ands.svg/250px-Japan_location_map_with_side_map_of_the_Ryukyu_Isl ands.svg.pnghttp://web-japan.org/atlas/architecture/maps/arc11.gif

bcdon
March 11th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Maybe...just got word from my friend that he and his family are ok.
That's very good news.

poodlesrule
March 11th, 2011, 10:27 AM
My wife and I have been saying several times over the last year that there have been more earth quakes lately than ever before. Increased frequency as well as at locations that aren't normally considered seismic zones.

I think I read something related to the water mass effect on the ocean floors, a new field of study.
The water mass is increasing and also shifts with odd temperature changes, which induce stresses in odd areas of the sea floor.

Anyway, thoughts to all affected, and hoping that the Japanese emergency system is up and running to care for them.

NWBasser
March 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I'm hoping Syo is busy watching the coverage, comfortable in his undamaged home. I'm not sure where he lives versus the epicenter location.

This is the biggest to hit Japan in any living person's history. The same goes with the expected tsunami for the upper US coast (it could be small or huge, they don't yet know). The waves at Maui were only 8 feet, but those were wrap-arounds.

A very small, one foot, wave hit our coast. No problems here at least.

NWBasser
March 11th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Strange indeed...

The seismic activity in what are considered "stable" areas such as Arkansas may be related to injecting fluids for hydrofracking for natural gas extraction.

As a geologist, I'd like to say that the overall number of earthquakes hasn't really increased versus the last million years or so. However, it seems that big ones have increased in frequency.

Possible that a release of stress on one plate transfers stress to another one, but I'm not going to speculate too much without more information.

It could be that with modern communications, that we're just more aware of seismic events than ever before.

Tig
March 11th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Reuters has a fairly comprehensive photo collection (http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures/slideshow?articleId=USRTR2JQY6&slide=1#a=1). Very powerful, scary images.
Number 7 is particulary impressive.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5013/5517423611_29cf716270_z.jpg

Spudman
March 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM
It could be that with modern communications, that we're just more aware of seismic events than ever before.

I thought the same thing. Instant communication is something that has only been around a short while compared to the time that man has had to endure catastrophic events. Still, it's sad that so many living things are affected so tragically.

NWBasser
March 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Still, it's sad that so many living things are affected so tragically.

Yeah, I agree that this is a very awful tragedy and my heart goes out to the people of Japan and those in New Zealand.

This catastrophic event will be replayed on our coast one day. The geologic setting of the WA, OR, BC, and NorCal coast is very similar to the Japan quake zone.

FrankenFretter
March 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Sending out some positive mojo to Syo and all in the affected areas. A terrible tragedy. I have friends in Japan right now that I haven't heard from for a while. I'm going to try and email them today.

vroomery
March 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I watched it live late last night on an internet feed. The footage of people running from the torrent and then being overtaken is so heartbreaking. The last time I felt that way was watching people jump out of the WTC towers. Just surreal.

msteeln
March 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM
The water surged within 1 minute of the quake, no time to flee, most on the coastal streets were doomed from the start. Here on Oahu, just down from me in Honolulu at Keehi Lagoon small boat harbor, the La Mariana Sailing Club's dockage is essentially wiped out, havn't heard about Kewalo Basin or Ala Wai harbors yet. At least 10 boats sunk, more nearly there, at least 3 docks ripped apart and floating away with boats attached. The famous club survived, but it's a huge mess outside and who knows what that means to it's ultimate survival... No loss of life reported from anywhere, that I've heard. Harbors island wide got damage, from some to plenty, the wrap-around surges got nearly everybody to some degree. We dodged another bullet but someday it'll get us again, just like Japan now.

syo
March 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks, all, for checking on us. We're fine here in Himeji which is a good 700-800 miles away from the worst of it. We didn't feel a thing here however our daughter was a little shook up about a hundred miles away in Osaka. She was in her apartment and she said the tower was swaying pretty good. Some small concern about tsunamis as we are only a few miles from the ocean with a river a stone's throw away but nothing really to worry about.

incomprehensible devastation. Makes Katrina look like a Thunderstorm by comparison. Look forward to hearing SYO. Prayers to everyone in Japan. No one will escape being dramatically impacted in that country.

I think you're right about that TK. Right now we are just bracing to hear what the extent of the bad news is and praying for those affected. I think the thing that scares me most is that we are getting far more news on the effects of the quake in the Tokyo area which was about 300 kilometers or so from the really bad stuff but not too much from the devastated north. I suppose this is natural as the infrastructure is still intact in Tokyo and it is the media center of the country but I think we really have very little idea about the extent of the damage/mortality in the worst hit areas.

Our friends in and around Tokyo have all said that this was the worst they have ever experienced which is saying alot for the Japanese.

Tig
March 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks for update. It is good to know you and your family are safe and in good condition.
We can all have a collective sigh of relief now.

FrankenFretter
March 11th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I just heard from my friends in Obihiro, and they're fine. I guess they are far enough north, and far enough inland that they weren't affected. Huge sigh of relief to hear from them and from Syo.

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM
So glad to hear you and your family is ok Syo! Sending prayers for all those affected!

Robert
March 11th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Glad to hear you are okay, Syo.

Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who suffers from this tsunami.

MAXIFUNK
March 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM
good news very cool be safe syo

piebaldpython
March 12th, 2011, 07:05 AM
So sorry to hear that the "turtle's shell" moving has wreaked havoc in Japan. Glad to hear that you and yours are OK.

kidsmoke
March 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Our friends in and around Tokyo have all said that this was the worst they have ever experienced which is saying alot for the Japanese.

I've got friends in Tokyo as well, This morning they are still feeling significant aftershocks, and are feeling very surreal. People are seeking each other out to simply share the process and the anxiety.

So Glad you're safe and sound SYO.

syo
March 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I just read that the nuclear power people are saying that after the last (3rd) blast at the nuke plant, a one hour exposure outside the plant is equivalent to "8 times what a person might experience naturally during the year". I suppose using the word "naturally" is meant to throw people off. By my math anyway that is something like 70,000 time normal levels. Why don't they just say so?! Time to stock up on seaweed (great iodine source). Wife and I are off to the super now...

stingx
March 14th, 2011, 09:23 PM
They are not being very truthful with what's going on with those reactors. I saw a report that one of the facilities has the rods fully exposed. Geez...

sunvalleylaw
March 14th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Hmm, imagine that. Ok, I gotta watch it or I am going to break the politics rules.

Syo, I hope everything continues to be ok with you and yours. And I wish quick recovery for your country and its people.

sunvalleylaw
April 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Another one (7.4) hit off the coast somewhere apparently. An additional Tsunami warning. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/07/new-quake-hits-northern-japan-tsunami-warning-issued/?hpt=T2

Syo, check in again please. I am hoping the 7.4 one won't create more big problems. Prayers and warm wishes out your way!

EDIT: Looks like an oceanwide Tsunami is not expected. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake I don't know, but it seems like whatever is going to happen would have happened by now. Hoping things will be ok.

Childbride
April 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Syo... Our deepest wishes for the safety for you and your family... I hope to hear that you are well.

syo
April 7th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Syo, check in again please. I am hoping the 7.4 one won't create more big problems. Prayers and warm wishes out your way!

Yup, all ok here. Thanks for checking Steve and CB. Although anything is possible, we are rather well protected from tsunamis as there is a large island (Shikoku) between us and the open sea. From what I understand, 7.4 did create a small tsunami (1 meter) but didn't cause any further problems.

Our main concern, where we live is the food supply. Now we check out where all our produce comes from and avoid things from the area of the nuke plant. Though we eat out half the time so I guess we don't worry too much. Yet...

sunvalleylaw
April 7th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Great to hear! I was hoping that would be the case. Thanks for checking in!

Katastrophe
April 8th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Man, I hope everything remains okay for you and yours, and the food supply remains unaffected... Stay safe!