sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6cd8f8a-82bc-f34b.jpg

Algonquin
March 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Looking good SVL! :AOK

Robert
March 11th, 2011, 02:30 PM
You got some classy Classic Vibe, brotha! Welcome to the club!

Tig
March 11th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Sweet Tele, SVL! :drool: HNGD!!!

Oh, you're killin' me here! I demoed one just yesterday and the local GAS station. Excellent tone from the Alnico 5's, and the playability was great. I would have bought the sucker right there, but something told me to wait... Good thing since we found out today my wife has to go back in for surgery on her arm due to a ganglion cyst that popped up after the rotator cuff repair in January, so we'll need the money.

duhvoodooman
March 11th, 2011, 02:53 PM
AWRIGHT!!! Welcome to the CV Tele club, SVL! :rockya :thumbsup :beavisnbutthead:

MAXIFUNK
March 11th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Nice Nice Tele congrats

progrmr
March 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM
That's a beauty! Congrats!

guitarhack
March 11th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Quite a looker. Congrats!

Katastrophe
March 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Congrats! I'm a sucker for a bound Tele. Very nice, Steve!

t_ross33
March 11th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Dee-am that looks purdy! Congrats SVL. About time, you've been talkin' Tele for quite a while now :)

Spudman
March 11th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Gorgeous guitar mate.:agree I'm glad that you got a case for it too. Good investment.:AOK

tjcurtin1
March 11th, 2011, 09:22 PM
What! A picture without a word to go with it?! To stunned/GAS-ified for words? I love that bound CV Tele- was the first one that caught my eye and brought on my last GAS attack... Happy playing!

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Wow, now that I got home, that pic from my phone via Tapatalk looks good!

Thanks all! Tig, sorry that your wife has to have a ganglion carved out. I had one back in between my knuckles spring before last or so, but it just went away. Hopefully you will be able to get that guitar soon. They are quite nice as far as I can tell so far!

Like i said, love it so far, though I really just got home and haven't had much time yet with it. Although it may not be as "perfect" as the one on my strat, I love the neck. I really like the R/W board, It is my first electric with a R/W board and I was attracted to this one partly because of it. I really love the colors. I had been wanting a 'burst guitar for a while. This one fits the bill. It is really beautiful. Seems well made. The pickup selector is much bigger and a three way switch is clunkier moving between positions than my five way on my strat, but seems to work just fine. I think that is more a difference between switch types than any problem.

Tuners seem to work pretty well. I am going to replace the lighter strings soon with my normal 10's, as who knows how much these have been played anyway. I like the mint guard more than I thought I would, and am not in a big hurry to get a tort guard. Which I may do if I get one of those swappable pickup kits and get one with a minibucker or something to swap in and out.

No real reason I can see to swap pups right away anyway. The vid below with my daughter checking it out shows a little single coil noise, but that is normal when I turn these lights on at night and plug a single coil guitar into my Fender.

Amazing for $300 (on sale), I tell you!

Also, about that case that Spud mentioned and you see in the picture. Plus, the manager sold me a slightly scuffed (We'll call it reliced) but just fine Fender molded plastic hard case for $10!! Nice! Guy said it was orphaned and taking up space. Made me feel all warm inside adopting that poor orphaned hardshell case for $10!

Of course I added on a set of strap locks and got another cable too, so he made a little back. Bottom line, a very HNGD! :happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDi-BMgvmxI

Lev
March 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Congrats Steve, Gorgeous tele you got there. I really want a tele so bad. Thanks for the GAS!

sunvalleylaw
March 12th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks! And did I mention that I am loving this guitar?! After a good day of skiing, I had some free time in the late afternoon, cranked up the Fender, cranked up the guitar (and my strat just to compare and have fun), switched on various dirt pedals, and had a grand old time. Whoever is still looking and can scrape together the budget, . . . dooo iiiitttt! :AOK:AOK:thumbsup:happy

I may hold off on putting on the 10s. This thing is playing pretty darned nicely with the 9s and it does not seem to hurt the tone. The guitar seems to kind of beg to be torn into a bit. Brings out my inner Combat Rock, and a little more aggressive approach to bluesy rock licks. It loves my Rabid Rodent rat clone, my ZYS, and the Monkey too. As you can tell, having a ton of fun.

oldguy
March 13th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Mighty pretty Tele there, Steve! Congrats, you got a great guitar at a good price. That model is the best CV of the ones I've played (although the white pinecaster needed a setup) in our local shop.
If you like the 9's on there, I'd leave 'em on. I just put '9s on my old Frankentele (after addressing some fret sprout) and I'm lovin' the guitar again, played it lots yesterday.

Jimi75
March 13th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Absolutely super great looking guitar. Man I think I gotta get me one , too :-)
Congratz!

stingx
March 13th, 2011, 08:53 AM
That's a hot guitar, SVL! Looks great. Enjoy!

ZMAN
March 13th, 2011, 08:56 AM
You finally got her out of hock. LOL. I would not hesitate to put the 10s on. It really brings this guitar to life.
What do you think about the position dots on the side of the guitar. I use them a lot and I find that they are really hard to see on this Tele. I had heard that teles are hard to get the intonation set on them because of the saddles sharing two strings.
Mine had a pro set up before I got it and the intonation is spot on. From my experience I think you will really like the pickups in this one. They are really sweet.
As for the case. I spent 75 dollars a while back for one of those sightly used cases. Yours is a good deal for sure. I like the hard plastic case to keep the necks firmly in place. The averqge home has so many fluctuations in heat and cold it keeps them straight.

sunvalleylaw
March 13th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks again guys. Still definitely in the honeymoon phase here. 10s will come at least for the next set, as I have a ton of sets of those and no 9s. But I will not be in any rush. If I feel like it after putting the 10s on, I can go back or try those middle of the road 9.5s or whatever. They're just strings after all. :D

The side markers seem fine to me, but I don't use those a ton. They are a lighter color that could blend in with the back of the neck, but they show against the rosewood fine on mine and should be sufficient.

The set up on this one is pretty good. Action is low enough and there is no buzzing. There was one other one in the store, and that one had good low action too, but buzzed just a touch on the low E, and was not as lively sounding as this one, though it still sounded really good. It probably could have been fixed with a set up and sounded really good to me as well, but this is the one that came home.

sunvalleylaw
March 13th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Just for fun, here is a natural light "family" photo. I am pretty darned happy with my gitfiddles right now.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/gitfam.jpg

ZMAN
March 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Just about have it covered. All you need now is a nice little LP type HB guitar.

Lev
March 13th, 2011, 03:32 PM
That's an impressive gear collection that you've put together over the past couple of years. Good on ya SVL, some very shrewd purchases.

sunvalleylaw
March 13th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys. I likes me some good values. Good, effective equipment is a nice thing.

riverrick
March 13th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Congrats Steve definitly a fine guitar. I too just got one, replaced the pickguard with a tortiseshell. And put 10's on. I love it as I'm sure you do yours. Don't see how ya can pass this one for the price. She's a beauty have fun!!!

Jipes
March 14th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Great Tele Steve, I love the sunburst ! The family is looking great all together with the Concert amp. BTW are you still happy with this oldie ? Mine is still doin' fine but I start to have some noise with the tremolo On probably one of the tubes has to be exchanged

sunvalleylaw
March 14th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks Jipes! I still really like my Concert, though I use my Peavey C-30 in my current jam/band project as there is no drummer in that group, and the Fender is hard to get really breathing until you open it up a little bit. No real noise with mine other than normal amph noises with single coils, etc. You can hear that the tremelo is turned on sometimes, but nothing really intrusive. I enjoy it. I hope to get a recording of it up here someday. It seems like it might record better with a condensor mic (that I now have) rather than my normal Sm57, or with a combination of two mics. The tele sounds great through it, especially when the house is empty and I can crank it up a bit!

I hope swapping out a tube or too brings yours back up to speed too!

street music
March 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Steve, Great looking guitar but the smile of that daughters face is worth 10 of the Teles.

sunvalleylaw
March 14th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Steve, Great looking guitar but the smile of that daughters face is worth 10 of the Teles.

Absolutely! I love that she is interested in music, and my guitar stuff too. She is really a blessing.

Jipes
March 15th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Thanks Steve I have a friend which will have a look at it. I did the recording of our first album with the Concert and the LAney LC-15 in parallel we'll see what will be the final result but the mix seems great

Lev
March 15th, 2011, 02:46 AM
This post really got me really interested in this guitar. So I was doing a youtube search for some sound samples and came across this video. I think the playing and tone here are amazing.

B873YhmjXwA

Commodore 64
March 15th, 2011, 06:19 AM
*yawn*. Another CV Squier thread. Whoop de doo.

I'm not jealous. Really. :P

wingsdad
March 15th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Helluva score, Steve. I know you've had your eye on a value-packed Tele for a long, long time, going back to looking at G&L Tribute ASATs. Good things come to those who wait, and that couldn't be truer in this case...besides the gorgeous guitar, snagging that case for 10 beans was icing on the cake.

A good Tele is a beast unlike a Strat or 335-type...Enjoy the ride.

Tig
March 15th, 2011, 08:01 AM
This post really got me really interested in this guitar. So I was doing a youtube search for some sound samples and came across this video. I think the playing and tone here are amazing.

That put chills down my spine at times!
Wow...

sunvalleylaw
March 15th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Helluva score, Steve. I know you've had your eye on a value-packed Tele for a long, long time, going back to looking at G&L Tribute ASATs. Good things come to those who wait, and that couldn't be truer in this case...besides the gorgeous guitar, snagging that case for 10 beans was icing on the cake.

A good Tele is a beast unlike a Strat or 335-type...Enjoy the ride.

Thanks WD! As you know from my asking you about it, I was really attracted to the ASATs, and was very tempted by the Tribute series. We used to have a store around here that carried them, but I have not seen any around here for a long time. The ASAT Tribute standard with the burst and tort guard would have been my choice. But after waiting around a long time, and finding these at the Boise GAS station, it seemed a good choice.

I think if one were shopping and could compare the two side by side, that would be a good thing.

I will check that out later Lev. There are lots of good sounds and recordings out there with this guitar, aren't there?!

EDIT: That was really nice. I was amazed by about 3:00 to 3:12 and really enjoyed especially that point forward. Nice stuff!

tjcurtin1
March 15th, 2011, 06:18 PM
That put chills down my spine at times!
Wow...

+1!

Spudman
March 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM
That video is pretty cool. The Tele guy is doing the Jeff Beck version of the song...without a trem bar! Very good sounds from that guitar.

Damn! Now I want one.

Katastrophe
March 15th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Just for fun, here is a natural light "family" photo. I am pretty darned happy with my gitfiddles right now.

Damn! You have amassed a high quality herd there, SVL. Each is unique and beautiful.

wingsdad
March 16th, 2011, 07:38 AM
.... The ASAT Tribute standard with the burst and tort guard would have been my choice. But after waiting around a long time, and finding these at the Boise GAS station, it seemed a good choice.

I think if one were shopping and could compare the two side by side, that would be a good thing. ...
Dollar for dollar, I'd say you got the much better bang for the buck Tele. The only edge I'd give to a G&L Tribute over this would be far superior pickups. And you can buy a set of G&L ASAT Classic Pickups (http://www.glguitars.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=241) new for $140. But if you're really happy with the sound you've got stock, there's no need for making a $310 guitar a $450 one. Changing the pg is about a $20-$25 move.

Brian Krashpad
March 18th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Looks great, and a great deal on the case.

Congrats Steve!