PDA

View Full Version : It almost sounds like know what I'm doing (sort of)!

marnold
March 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM
No one is going to confuse me for Dan Mumm (the Metal Method sweep picking instructor) just yet, but I've posted a new clip on my blog (http://myolde.blogspot.com/2011/03/exercise-10-clip-take-three.html) of me playing exercise 10 from his Sweep Pick Mechanics DVD. It's not perfect, but for the first time I think you can hear it and say, "That guy is sweep picking!" In that same article I link to my last two clips so (hopefully) you can see the improvement that comes with practice. I'd be interested in your feedback. Now at least you know I'm not Rev. Rawk in name only--I'm trying to live up to it.

The chain, as usual, is: Rev. Rawk->DK2M->Thesis 96 OD->DD-6->Jet City amph and cab. Recorded via the TapeMachine app on my HTC Desire.

Katastrophe
March 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Sounds great, Rev. No pointers, as whatever they are telling you to do on the lessons seems to be working. Keep it up!

Rockermann
March 12th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Indeed. Keep up the practice. That's the only way to get there. And you're doing a great job already.

Spudman
March 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Awesome! I can't do that. Keep it up and let your inner legato shine bro.

Eric
March 12th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Dag -- nice work. I've listened to all of your clips in the past, and you can definitely hear an improvement.

I've been doing something (kind of) similar recently -- just taking one small portion of a solo I want to learn and playing it over and over and over and over. It's kind of working; for me, it's always weird to see how simple repetition can make a difference on the guitar.

oldguy
March 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Great job, Matt! I can't do that either. That's cool.

Eric, I practice licks over and over and over and over too. Once the hand/finger muscle memory thing gets ingrained, I move on to something else. I also try to put licks together that compliment each other, so the repetition of learning new ones isn't too tedious.

Eric
March 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I should also mention that, like some others here, I definitely can't do that either. Getting ever closer to Lynchian playing, huh?

marnold
March 13th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I should also mention that, like some others here, I definitely can't do that either. Getting ever closer to Lynchian playing, huh?

Heh. Except Lynch doesn't do much sweeping. It's a technique I've always liked, but I needed some direction/guidance. It's a very easy concept to grasp but difficult to execute cleanly. On to four-string sweeps!

groverj3
March 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Thats probably a much better way to learn to do it than what I did. Which was try to play the opening run in No Boundaries like a million times :rotflmao:

Eric
March 13th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Heh. Except Lynch doesn't do much sweeping.
Well, shows what I know about Dokken. Cool anyway.

marnold
March 13th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Thats probably a much better way to learn to do it than what I did. Which was try to play the opening run in No Boundaries like a million times :rotflmao:

Yeah, that way would be WAY harder.

groverj3
March 13th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Yeah, that way would be WAY harder.

Yeah, that didn't go so well, haha. Luckily I took lessons later and got it straightened out. I could post some exercises I use to work on them, but it looks like you've got the basics down, just speed and cleanliness, and those come with time :dude

sunvalleylaw
March 13th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Nice Matt! Not something I know how to do either. Sounds to me like it is already under your fingers, and you just need to keep running it until it is muscle memory. Cool skill to have in your pocket!

marnold
March 14th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Nice Matt! Not something I know how to do either. Sounds to me like it is already under your fingers, and you just need to keep running it until it is muscle memory. Cool skill to have in your pocket!

Thanks! The big issue for me is when to move on to something more complex. I've been taking a really long time on these exercises as is. I could still spend more time polishing it. I made kind of an executive decision to move on to four-stringers. I'll go back and replay these as I practice too. That's always that hard part for me, figuring out when "good" is "good enough" to move on. Unfortunately, I tend to delay the decision to the point that I get bored and I end up stopping practicing. That obviously isn't good either.