PDA

View Full Version : How many have ever seen Arlo Guthrie in concert?

street music
March 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM
My wife and I are going to see ARLO GUTHRIE in a sold out concert this Sunday night. I know many on here won't even know who he is and never heard his songs or story telling. Just wonder who has seen him?

Spudman
March 11th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I worked with him and his son on Valentines Day in 1994. It was just the two of them doing a bunch of Arlo's hits and 2 of his son's original tunes. Nice intimate evening and some cool stories. Have a good time at the show...and hollar "Freebird" for me, okay.

street music
March 12th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I would Spud but I think someone in the crowd would hit me with a purse.

kidsmoke
March 12th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I saw Arlo with Pete Seeger at the Greek in LA in '85. Lot's of story telling, with both of them taking turns taking the lead, while the other simply played. It was a very cool show. At the time, for me to go was my statement against all things "Flock of Seagulls/Animotion" Capezio's and skinny ties. Seeger is an institution unto himself, and I would say it was a little more about him than Arlo at that time. I was VERY much in the minority as a 19yr old at that show.

street music
March 14th, 2011, 06:23 PM
It was a great concert with a full band and backup vocals in a great small venue that seated the 750 sold out crowd. Arlo was excellent and did some Leadbelly stuff, Woodie's songs and his own great songs plus the story telling had people rolling. He signed our 45 for Pat of her "City of New Orleans" and let me take a picture of her & him together. Great to see him, next on our list is JOHN PRINE.

Bloozcat
March 16th, 2011, 07:56 AM
It was a great concert with a full band and backup vocals in a great small venue that seated the 750 sold out crowd. Arlo was excellent and did some Leadbelly stuff, Woodie's songs and his own great songs plus the story telling had people rolling. He signed our 45 for Pat of her "City of New Orleans" and let me take a picture of her & him together. Great to see him, next on our list is JOHN PRINE.

I saw Arlo Guthrie a few years ago in a small theater here where I live. Arlo didn't have to travel far as he lives in Roseland Florida which is only about 1-hour + north of here. He put on a good concert with the afore mentioned stories.

John Prine...now that's a name you don't hear often. Another great ballad singer/songwriter.

Katastrophe
March 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
My dad saw Arlo a few years ago at a place called "Alice's Restaurant" in a little community south of Austin, TX. He said it was cool, and I would have loved to have seen the show. He still has a poster from the show hanging up in his home.

street music
March 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Guys , I guilty of not sticking to just genre of music and skip around a lot to what I play or listen too, Arlo Guthrie and John Prine just happen to be two artist that I can get enjoyment from and catch a few ideas in their song writing and playing. Arlo played 5 different guitars and the keyboard in his concert, his style is just so free lance and I think people too often forget to expand their ear into other genre for one reason or another they miss out on songs that could be converted into a different genre.

kidsmoke
March 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Guys , I guilty of not sticking to just genre of music and skip around a lot to what I play or listen too, Arlo Guthrie and John Prine just happen to be two artist that I can get enjoyment from and catch a few ideas in their song writing and playing.

I think that's the way to go.

I think people too often forget to expand their ear into other genre for one reason or another they miss out on songs that could be converted into a different genre.

Remember that Hendrix's first album included Dylan's "All along the Watchtower" - dramatically different take on what was already an Iconic FOLK song.

And Prine is amazing, and in excellent form these days. He came through town a couple months back. You'll really enjoy that.

dblacker
March 19th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I saw him back in the eighties and it was really good show. Now I think he does a show with other members of the Gutherie family and from I've seen on TV looks like a great show. I dig Arlo

Childbride
March 19th, 2011, 03:58 PM
glad you got to go, street!

street music
March 20th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks CB, Arlo has one of his sons that does backup vocals and keyboard, the Burn sisters were backup vocals too and his other 3 band members did a excellent job. I hope you right Tio as I have never seen John Prine in concert before. The wife and I were just talking today about other artist that we would like to see that we haven't already seen but there aren't that many left on the list, a few I would like to see again and the rest are dead or retired.