PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up an old Ibby

stingx
March 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Several years back I picked up my Ibanez RS140 for dirt cheap at a local music store. I was attracted to the neck instantly - highly flamed and so comfy to play. It's an old Roadstar from '85. The only year this particular model was made. It became the RG140 the next year taking on the now family headstock of the RG line. The previous owner(s) managed to scuff up the body but, aside from some cosmetic issues, all the hardware was in perfect shape as were the frets. There is no scratchiness from the pots, etc.
I am trying my best to clean it up now and taking out surface scratches from it. I just restrung with 10s and reintonated it. I decided to deck the bridge this time. I had it floating before. The guitar plays really well. I have seen a few of these on the 'Bay for small change. If any of you guys are looking for a versatile, well built Japanese guitar check for one of these models. They come stock S-S-H with coil tap push/pull for the humbucker. The stock pickups are quite good and you can cover any genre with them. Finding an original trem arm for it has been futile so far. I use one of the newer trem arms from recent RGs but the fit isn't exact.

Here's a picture of it...

http://stubble.org/images/rs140.jpg

Spudman
March 13th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Cool. Those are great if you can find a good one.

To find a tremolo bar contact Ibanez in Bensalem PA, or Chesbro Music in Idaho Falls ID.

stingx
March 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM
To find a tremolo bar contact Ibanez in Bensalem PA, or Chesbro Music in Idaho Falls ID.

I will hit them both up, thanks!

sunvalleylaw
March 13th, 2011, 11:21 PM
That looks like a nice ride! I love the flamed neck too.

Eric
March 14th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I was attracted to the neck instantly - highly flamed and so comfy to play.
Cool guitar. What do you mean when you say the neck is highly flamed? I'm not sure I understand.

stingx
March 14th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Cool guitar. What do you mean when you say the neck is highly flamed? I'm not sure I understand.

Thanks. See below. The example on the wiki is even more flamed than the back of the neck on my guitar. Very pretty effect.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_maple

Eric
March 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_maple
Yeah, but the neck? It looks like a regular maple neck to me.

Please don't be offended -- I'm historically unobservant with this type of thing.

NWBasser
March 14th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I played a SSS version a couple of months ago. It was extremely easy to play and sounded quite nice.

They are very nice guitars and definitely one I'd be on the lookout for.

stingx
March 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah, but the neck? It looks like a regular maple neck to me.

Please don't be offended -- I'm historically unobservant with this type of thing.

I'm not offended LOL! You cannot see the back of the neck in the picture I posted.

stingx
March 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I played a SSS version a couple of months ago. It was extremely easy to play and sounded quite nice.

They are very nice guitars and definitely one I'd be on the lookout for.

There are so many nice models in the Roadstar series. I guess I took for granted how nicely crafted they were when I was younger. I see a few models on ebay and craigslist and, except for the oddball here and there, they are not pricey at all.

sunvalleylaw
March 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I would love to hear you playing that one through your C-30! I love hearing you play anyhow. Are those vids you posted some time ago (from a long time ago at a college party) still available? I was interested in watching them again.