PDA

View Full Version : Greets

Ro3b
November 13th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Hi all,

I'm a 42-year old cat rancher living just outside Washington, DC. I'm originally from Atlanta, Ga. I started playing when I was 11 with a headful of Kiss and Zepplin; my parents compelled me to learn classical guitar, which was the best favor they could have done me. In college I started out as a guitar major, but between playing in punk bands and getting into traditional Irish music, my interest in musical academia didn't hold.

I got more and more into Irish music, started playing mandolin and bouzouki and wooden flute and button accordion, re-tooled my understanding of guitar into DADGAD tuning; played in a few groups in Atlanta, moved to DC in 1997 (needed a change) formed a band with some friends in Charlottesville, VA, recorded a cd, toured a little, played a bunch of Irish music festivals and contradances and ceilis, broke up. During which time I was also taking jazz guitar lessons and mulling over getting back into rock, which honestly was more fun for less effort than Irish music. Also started composing ambient electronic music. I should have a cd of that stuff out soon.

The last year or so I've basically been working on getting back the chops I used to have. I'm re-discovering standard tuning, which is a real kick when you've been playing in DADGAD for a while (I mean, really, do you guys know how totally cool standard tuning is? It's, like, all in fourths except for that major third between the second and third strings; you can play anything in it. Who knew?).

Influences/musicians I like: John Doyle, Dick Gaughan, Bob Mould, Aphex Twin, Photek, Karl Sanders, John Cage, John Frusciante, John Renbourne, Yngwie, Angus, Ace, Slash, Wes, Monk, Miles, Coltrane, Joao, and, um, Sid.

Lev
November 13th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Welcome!! Wow, interesting influences. What sparked your interest in Traditional Irish Music? It's a type of music that I really should spend more time with considering I'm a born and bread paddy ;)

For me, growing up in Ireland rock and roll was always more 'sexy'. Hope you enjoy this forum, looking forward to hearing your perspective on our discussions.

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Welcome Ro3b! I'm Steve, a relative newbie. I like your influences. You will have fun here. I also like Irish and Irish influenced music (and Punk, Jazz, classic rock, almost anything but new country). I don't know how to play any Irish or Celtic music yet, other than a beginner's version of Amazing Grace. Do you like Celtic rock? Welcome to the Fret!

Steve

Nelskie
November 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I'm a 42-year old cat rancher living just outside Washington, DC . . .
Anyone who lists Ace Frehley as a guitar influence gets props from me, Ro3B! Welcome to our friendly confines.

Just one question - what "sort" of cats do you raise out there on yer' ranch? Racing cats? Quarter-feline cats? Draft cats? :D

Ro3b
November 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Hi Lev, I started getting into it just from hearing it on the radio and picking up the odd Chieftains or Planxty album when I could find them. When I was in college I played with the one and only uilleann piper in Athens, Georgia, and learned my first few tunes from him. From there it was all downhill.

The thing I love about Irish music is that it's participatory; it's something people do together as a means of social interaction. The performance dynamic (people on a stage, others sitting politely and listening) isn't really where the soul of the music is. For every musician making albums and touring the world in some big showband, there are a hundred players in Ireland (or Boston or NYC) who are just as good and have dayjobs and are happy playing in pub sessions every now and then. There aren't many styles of music where the amateur tradition is so strong.

But -- yeah, you're right about its relative sexiness. You only have to play for the Sweets of May set once to be disabused of any illusions about that. :-)

Ro3b
November 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Oh, yeah, Ace rules! He was the first guitarist whose licks I tried to figure out. I used to be embarrassed about having been a teenage Kiss fan, but you know, I've been looking at some of their stuff on YouTube, and I WAS RIGHT! They were awesome, back in the day.

I'm down to just two head of cats: Ishi and Kyosaku, who were rescued as kittens from living under a car on Porter St. in DC.

Robert
November 13th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Hi Ro3b, welcome to our "fret board"! Great to see someone with a bit different musical background come on board. I think I speak for all of when I say I'm hoping we get to hear some clips from your upcoming CD!

Spudman
November 13th, 2006, 10:39 AM
This is pretty interesting...just yesterday, out of the blue, I rented from the video store "Two Boys And A Girl From County Clare." It's a movie about Irish Ceili contests and it's filled with great music.

Now being Irish myself I found this to be the best movie of the year. And if any of ye should disagree well then you'll next be speakin t' my fist...just let me finish my Guinness first. :D

Welcome to the fret club Ro3b.

SuperSwede
November 13th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the fret.net, dont worry about your Kiss loving background. I promise that you arent alone :D

ted s
November 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Hey there Ro3b, welcome aboard. Fairly new here myself, it's a great place with good people. I have a couple cats myself but there not Irish.

One more thing, don't forget to get on the map.

Iago
November 13th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Welcome Rob! Whos that "Joao" you mentioned?

Tim
November 13th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Welcome Laddie! I got a bit of Irish in me self, ya know. We are a verity of guitar players, but are all Fretters. You found a new home. I to am a fan of Irish folk music. After I learn to play this here guitar, I will venture over to the folklore music.

warren0728
November 13th, 2006, 05:50 PM
welcome rob....i think you will like it here (and yeah i was a kiss fan in high school too)

ww

duhvoodooman
November 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Greetings & hallucinations, Ro3b! Very interesting background and diverse group of influences there. I'm sure you have much to contribute here!

Ro3b
November 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Welcome Rob! Whos that "Joao" you mentioned?

João Gilberto, the great bossa nova singer and guitarist. The album he did a couple of years ago, "João Voz e Violão," is just a gorgeous piece of work. Quiet and intense and swinging like there's no tomorrow.

Ro3b
November 13th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Do you like Celtic rock?

There's some of that stuff I like very much. AfroCelt. Kila. Of course you can't deny the greatness of the Pogues, and Flogging Molly are fantastic. And there's a wild German medieval metal group, In Extremo, that I just love, though they don't quite count as "Celtic."

You know who I really liked a lot -- ever hear Rare Air, from Toronto? Basically an electric jazz fusion group with two highland pipers. Wonderful stuff. They would do Roland Kirk covers like you wouldn't believe.

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM
There's some of that stuff I like very much. AfroCelt. Kila. Of course you can't deny the greatness of the Pogues, and Flogging Molly are fantastic. And there's a wild German medieval metal group, In Extremo, that I just love, though they don't quite count as "Celtic."

You know who I really liked a lot -- ever hear Rare Air, from Toronto? Basically an electric jazz fusion group with two highland pipers. Wonderful stuff. They would do Roland Kirk covers like you wouldn't believe.

Haven't heard them but will try to find them somewhere. My celtic or Irish rock favs tend to be more pub circuit bands such as the Clumsy Lovers or Scotch Greens, or even the Electrics. Not fancy, but fun! :DR Looking forward to your participation here.

Cheers,

Steve

kerc
November 14th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Welcome! This is the friendliest music forum around. :D

Justaguyin_nc
November 14th, 2006, 10:27 AM
A cat house in washington? (Come on guys you all thought it to) ... :) Welcome to like he said above.. the friendly place to be.. look forward to some of your input and sounds.. Oh we have about 8 cats around here at the house.. so I guess I got a cat house in shelby..