PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Newb!

piratejohnrob
March 15th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Okay I am not new to music, I have been in many bands and been a bass player for about 15 years, (Damn that makes me feel old.) Anyhow I got a cheap Squier Strat to get me started on guitar, a Line6 FloorPod+ and lots of motivation to get better at the guitar. I also have a mandolin that I got because it's fun to play for my son and we love music in my house so the more instruments the better. I will be here on this forum to learn more about guitar and maybe help some of the bassists and touring musicians with some of my knowledge.

I look forward to becoming an active member of the forums.

progrmr
March 15th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Welcome! You'll find lots of great information and a supportive community here. What kind of music are you into and what's your plan for moving from bass to guitar?

piratejohnrob
March 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I love Rock and Blues. Gov't Mule/Warren Haynes are a HUGE influence on me. I also love classic rock Zep, Hendrix, SRV, Clapton etc. I have quite a ways to go before I get anywhere near that level though. As far as my transition goes, I have played guitar off and on for many years but had not actually practiced or taken lessons. I have spent the last couple of months getting chords into my muscle memory, learning some rhythm guitar parts to songs I like and working through the Gibson Learn and Master Guitar course. My biggest problem is after playing for so long in gigging bands and getting to play professional level instruments playing the Squier Strat is really driving me crazy. No amount of adjusting will make the action anything less than a mile high and it's driving me batty. I am working on saving up for a better axe soon.

Robert
March 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Welcome! Squiers can be hit and miss, but the new-ish Classic Vibe guitars are really nice for the money.

Welcome, once again! :)

Brian Krashpad
March 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Welcome! Sounds like it's time for the Strat to go up on craislist!

piratejohnrob
March 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Welcome! Sounds like it's time for the Strat to go up on craislist!

Soon, very soon!

bcdon
March 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Welcome aboard! There are a number of bassist/guitarists around here. :dude

Eric
March 16th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Hi John (or Rob or Bob). Welcome to the forum!