PDA

View Full Version : Picking a wireless system for my video camera = nightmare

Robert
March 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Just wanted to share how pissed I am. I purchased a wireless system for my video camera. The unit didn't have an XLR enabled output, not even an output jack... the 35mm output cord was permanently attached to the receiver. The website didn't indicate this at all. Bummer. Couldn't even try it.

Sent it back.

Next, I ordered a different brand; a unit with an XLR output. It came yesterday, and it's complete rubbish. Sounds like an AM radio from the moon. Can't understand how anyone could think it's even half-decent. Either my unit is defunct, or the reviewers are either dumb or bought.

Sending it back tomorrow. :running

Back to square one! :D Lovely.

What did I learn? Don't buy cheap wireless gear... each of those I bought were between 150 and 200. I read reviews, spent hours researching, thought I would get something decent for my modest needs, but nope. I received garbage. :puke:

If you want decent wireless equipment for a video camera, don't buy anything under 400 bucks. Sony and Sennheiser are good brands to go with. Stay away from the cheap ones! :bootyshake

Tig
March 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
This is one of those areas where it might be best to stick with wires unless you win a lottery.

Robert
March 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah, good wireless gear is very expensive, especially for video and film makers, it seems.

I am saving up for the good gear though - I am done with the junk!

bcdon
March 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Robert, just what constitutes a wireless rig for video? Do you mean you are streaming the camera's output in realtime?

Robert
March 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM
No, it's just for the audio. A lavalier microphone (also called lapel microphone). I have found it very inconvenient to use a wired mic to the camera, because I move around when I'm filming (stop/start computer, etc) and with a microphone that uses a cord all the way to the camera, I get tangled up sometimes... and that cord on floor is run over by the chair, and moving around creates squeaks and noise that the mic itself picks ups... and so on. A wireless mic is not strictly a must, but it makes filming so much easier and trouble-free. Hope that makes sense! :)

bcdon
March 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Ah. Now I understand. Couldn't you use a boom pole? http://www.studio1productions.com/mic_boom_poles.htm

Robert
March 16th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Boom pole is not very convenient either. The lapel mic is the way to go, or a headworn mic, except I think they look kind of stupid...reminds me of Britney and Madonna!

http://juzanki.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/gaultier-madonna.jpg