PDA

View Full Version : OK . . . here's the idea (CD by our members)

Nelskie
November 13th, 2006, 10:17 AM
A Fret.Net guitar compilation CD! :cool:

Over the past few days, two of the FN members I correspond with frequently had sent me some songs that they'd recorded at home. I was very impressed. In short, they motivated me to get back on track with my own recording project. Yesterday, in between watching my Minnesota Vikings get their lunch handed to them by the Green Bay Packers, I put together my first full rhythm track using Sony Acid, complete with bass, drums, and ambient effects (up to this point, it had only been a few piece-meal affairs.) This morning, as I listened to the track over coffee, an idea came to me - - I thought, "If a couple of clips could do that with a procrastinator like me, what could a whole CD of original music created by fellow FN members do?" Anyways - you get the picture.

Being continually amazed at the creativity and quality of the original music I hear on FN, I thought it might be something really fun to do. As somewhat of an "artiste'" myself, I enjoy doing artwork for my own original compilations, and would be happy to lend those talents to designing the jacket & jewel case inserts for the CD. Warren - I know you're into that too, so maybe we could tag-team on that. Anyone else who wants to lend a hand with something - let me know.

How it will work: Those members who are interested in participating can select (1) of their favorite original tracks, and post it on a site where I can download it. Once I can get a feel for how many people want to be involved, I can let you know whether it'll be a single or double CD release. If we have more than than what will fit on (2) CD's (with 3:00 to 3.30 minute songs - generally around (25) tracks), then we'll save those that don't get on the first project for a later release.

When the tracks are compiled, and the artwork finished, I will post links to a site, where music and artwork will be available for download. The artwork will be saved in Adobe .PDF and / or .JPG format, which will allow for good resolution of the image files. For members who do not have a graphics program on their computer, I will also post links for freeware graphics programs, which can be used to open the files. From there, the files for the CD panels can be printed out on a color printer, and then cut out for insertion into a standard or double CD jewel case (*available just about anywhere - Office Max / Depot, Wal-Mart, etc.) For those Fretters who are not "graphically inclined", and want to have it in a CD / jewel case, let me know, and I'll get back to you with the cost of putting one together, as well as shipping costs.

For the iPod / portable .MP3 player folks, I'll also have the cover image saved in a format that you can use with it. Again - just trying to make sure that the CD will available to everyone in a format that is most convenient to them.

I am open to any and all suggestions / insights concerning the project. :)

Lev
November 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Great idea, I'd love to contribute a song.
Funny I was just thinking over the weekend of how feasable it would be to record a fretters track. For example take a classic track (a Beatles track for example would allow for everyone's varying styles), record bass & drums and ask everyone to contriubute 20 seconds of melody/chords over the backing track. Would be very difficult to mix and might take a long time to get it recorded but it would be cool - kinda like a 'We are the World' with Guitars! Only much cooler!

Tim
November 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Nelskie,

Great idea! But first I would like to know what kind of “inspiring coffee” do you drink?

Seriously though, I would really enjoy a project like the one you have suggested. A Fret Net CD would be a wonderful thing. Although I do not have the playing skills to contribute anything towards the endeavor, I believe it could be an inspiration to me and other new players.

I would like to make a few suggestions to enhance the project. Can the Fretters that contribute to the album provide some kind of historical record or diary of how they put together their individual song? In other words explain how they did their recording. For example: how did they choose their drums, or bass guitar. What inspired the beat, phrasing or strumming pattern, etc.? Presently I have no idea on how to even start to put together a song from scratch.

Maybe a separate category could be added to the forum so the other Fretters could follow the project as it matures. Each contributing Fretter could provide their own progression as they put together (mix) their song. This would be interesting reading for us less talented players.

If the CD is a hit, maybe some one could put it on eBay and with the money provide Robert with some financial help with the Fret Net cost.

These were just a few ideas that went across the grey matter as I read your post above.

I look forward the completed project.

Good luck to all those Fretters who will be contributing to the album project.

SuperSwede
November 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Fantastic idea Nelskie!
I will absolutely contribute to such a project!

kerc
November 13th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Awesome idea. :D I gotta dig up some old lyrics...

Nelskie
November 13th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Great idea! But first I would like to know what kind of “inspiring coffee” do you drink?
Folgers whole-bean Hazelnut Creme - - ground fresh every day! :) Tim, you've brought to light some great suggestions, and I'd like to expound on a few of those.

Seriously though, I would really enjoy a project like the one you have suggested. A Fret Net CD would be a wonderful thing. Although I do not have the playing skills to contribute anything towards the endeavor, I believe it could be an inspiration to me and other new players.
Precisely. For those Fretters who haven't yet gotten to the point of creating & tracking their own original music, I'm hoping that it will provide them with the inspiration to eventually get to that point. As well, it will also serve as a "blueprint" in a way - hopefully to give some further insight as to the processes involved with each song - i.e. how the idea was "hatched", inspiration, tone, recording equipment / techniques, etc. Hearing it and then being able to dissect it might also provide for some interesting interaction between members. Not that it doesn't happen here at the Forum - it does. This project is on a more "involved" level, and collectively, would be a neat way to showcase some of the awesome players we have frequenting the forum.

Can the Fretters that contribute to the album provide some kind of historical record or diary of how they put together their individual song? In other words explain how they did their recording. For example: how did they choose their drums, or bass guitar. What inspired the beat, phrasing or strumming pattern, etc.? Presently I have no idea on how to even start to put together a song from scratch

Maybe a separate category could be added to the forum so the other Fretters could follow the project as it matures. Each contributing Fretter could provide their own progression as they put together (mix) their song. This would be interesting reading for us less talented players.
This is a fabulous idea Tim, esp. from the standpoint that re-writing all of those individual stories and notes would be a tedious undertaking. It would be fairly easy to set up a CD release thread so that each contributing member could expound a bit on some of the things that went into creating the song. Doing it that way would also draw some attention to the forum, and perhaps get folks more involved. The opportunities to share the release with others outside of FN are nearly limitless, but ultimately, I'd like to hear our administrators' take on everything, before moving forward with the project. They may have some ideas, and possibly concerns, about how the release's tie in with Fret.Net would affect things overall. I want this to be on the up-and-up all across the board.

If the CD is a hit, maybe some one could put it on eBay and with the money provide Robert with some financial help with the Fret Net cost.
While that idea might be ambitiously optimistic - it could very well end up happening. As such, we'd need to get out ducks in a row in regards to copyrights, reproduction, and the rest of the things that go along with it. It is very important that those members whose songs are featured receive their due credit, and that their creative efforts / music are not comprimised in any way by being involved with the project.

But if it did happen, and things fell into place as they needed to - yes, that's a great idea. ;)

I'd also like to mention another thing, brought up by kerc. The songs do not need to have lyrics to qualify. As well, they do not need to be 3:00 to 3:30 minutes long either - I was just using that time frame to illustrate the # of songs that can fit onto a CD. Now that I've mentioned that, I'd also like to add that we are not governed by time at all - the .MP3 format will allow us to put as many songs as we want. In short - everyone can be involved. Anyways, that didn't come to mind initially - - but re-reading the iPod statement I made, most of what comes to my own player is in .MP3 format - - so again, we are not constrained by time limits. If you have the next "Riders on the Storm", or Pink Floyd-inspired, full-length epic, we definitely want to hear it. ;)

Nelskie
November 13th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Great idea, I'd love to contribute a song.
Funny I was just thinking over the weekend of how feasable it would be to record a fretters track. For example take a classic track (a Beatles track for example would allow for everyone's varying styles), record bass & drums and ask everyone to contriubute 20 seconds of melody/chords over the backing track. Would be very difficult to mix and might take a long time to get it recorded but it would be cool - kinda like a 'We are the World' with Guitars! Only much cooler!
You're right, Lev - a project like that could easily evolve into a production nightmare. Taking into account the different recording equipment being used, volume levels, output format, etc., combining them into one single track might even have a seasoned production guru scratching his head. A cool idea none-the-less.

One thing that could be benchmarked for a future FN CD compilation project would be some kind of a tribute CD, with a certain band's music as the main theme. For example, if it were the Beatles, members could pick out their favorite song, and then do their own thing with it. Like a heavy metal version of "Here Comes the Sun", or maybe a country version of "Come Together". You know - - mix it up a bit. :cool:

Something to think about, anyways. The idea of using members' own original music is the direction that I think we should take for the first project, in that it allows us to draw from, and recognize the individual talents of the people we interact with right here on FN. ;)

6STRINGS 9LIVES
November 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I'll toss one in .Copyright is a scary thing though ... great idea .

aeolian
November 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I'll contribute. Since most of what I record are 'originals' there is no copyright issue, whether anyone will want to listen is another matter.

Perhaps something like these:
Starlit Sky - http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/starlit.mp3

The Unanswered Question - http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/quest.mp3

I have some basic software available, so if work needs to be done to get different songs to be approximately the same volume and such I may be able to help.

aeolian

Hogfullofblues
November 13th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Most excellent idea! I have zip to contribute and have yet to write an original nor record a thing yet, but would be glued to threads on this project and really enjoy listening to the works put out. And what a motivator! I will definately try my best to get my technical act together for recording and see if I can work my 3 chords into something that sounds like a song.
Well done, Nels!

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Most excellent idea! I have zip to contribute and have yet to write an original nor record a thing yet, but would be glued to threads on this project and really enjoy listening to the works put out. And what a motivator! I will definately try my best to get my technical act together for recording and see if I can work my 3 chords into something that sounds like a song.
Well done, Nels!

Hear, Hear! I would buy one for sure once legals were worked out.:)

Nelskie
November 13th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Aeolian's response brought up another good point - (1) song per member. If you send / post an e-mail link to more than one, you will need to let me know which one you want to have featured. I will not be making that choice for you. For guys like Frank Axtell, who have tons of original music already posted, this might process might take some time (of course, assuming that he wants to be involved with the project) But who knows, maybe this will inspire him to come up with a fantastic new original just for us . . . :D (* hint, hint, hint)

Seeing the number of positive responses already, I'm really excited about the prospects of this project. At this point, I think it'd be a good idea to wait for a week or so (like next Monday), so that everyone has a good chance to read and / or respond to the post. As well, it will allow ample time for our forum administrators to assess the idea, and respond as necessary. If it meets with their approval, I'll re-address the primary points of member involvement, a confirmation of those who are contributing material, and a deadline for submitting recorded material (another area that I'd like some more input on.) It is of primary importance that those members who want to contribute brand-new material (which includes myself) be allowed a reasonable amount of time in which to create, record, and complete their submission. Just to throw something out - let's say Jan. 1st, 2007. We can easily extend that date, if needed, to accomodate additional members.

We will also need a name / title for the release - - and that is something fun I think we can all be involved with. So, everyone start thinking up some cool names for the CD. For now, let's just keep it at that. After we get the initial groundwork laid out, I'll post a thread where everyone can submit their name ideas.

And lastly, if there are members who are going to be involved in other parts of the project, i.e. art / design, identification / location of shareware programs (for the artwork), etc., and CD-related FN site postings / threads, those people will be identified. All of which means that I am looking for volunteers . . . :D

Lastly, I'd like some more input from our members in regards to a file-hosting site for the music & graphic files. Which are the best ones to use? Being that this is an un-sponsored musical effort, it needs to be *free* - - and believe me, I've heard all kinds of things about a few of the more prominent *free* hosting sites.

As you can see, there's lots of logistics involved with a project like this, and I am interested in everyone's insights and thoughts. ;)

SuperSwede
November 13th, 2006, 02:28 PM
A generous deadline is a must, because I think that a couple of the potential contributors to this CD havent really got started with recording yet. (This project is a perfect reason to get started! :) )

I recommend that we convert the completed audio files to 160kb/s Mp3´s, which has a rather good quality/size ratio.

Tim
November 13th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Lastly, I'd like some more input from our members in regards to a file-hosting site for the music & graphic files.

Just to add another idea! Once our forum administrators approve the idea, a new topic section can be created perhaps under “Home Recording” as Nelskie stated. Then an individual thread pertaining to their song/project can be started by the “artist’ for giving further details on the things that went into creating the song and possibly to answer any questions for future budding Fret Net recording artists.

This is one thread I will be paying pretty close attention to. I will most likely save all the threads to disk, just to keep an archive on how to make my own recording some day soon. This is just fantastic!!!

I just wish there was something I could do to help.

ted s
November 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Great idea, I would be one of the inspired ones rather than a contributor.

Justaguyin_nc
November 13th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I wanna be expired to..good luck with it guys!!! look forward to hearing some that probably don't let us hear them on here... for one reason or lazy other...;)

duhvoodooman
November 14th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Great idea, N-man! I definitely belong in the "inspired" camp rather than with the "inspirers", but with the talent I've heard displayed here, you guys should put together a fantastic compilation of original material. I really look forward to hearing it!

I know that it would probably be a logistical nightmare to put together, but I like that idea of a "composite" tune that several Fretters could contribute pieces to! This would allow those of us who aren't experienced/accomplished enough to do full-blown original compositions to be able to participate. Perhaps if one of you pros could provide a good bass & drum backing track, several of us could lay down the rhythm track and some solo breaks over the top. Kind of a "Fretters' Jam" concept. Audacity would be a good common platform to use to record the various pieces and stitch them all together, although any recording/editing program should work, as long as it will produce MP3 output to keep the shared file sizes manageable. I doubt that the finished product would be remotely "CD-worthy", but it sure would be fun! I'd be happy to try to edit the pieces together, although that's probably akin to volunteering for duty on the Russian front! ;)

Nelskie
November 14th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I know that it would probably be a logistical nightmare to put together, but I like that idea of a "composite" tune that several Fretters could contribute pieces to! This would allow those of us who aren't experienced/accomplished enough to do full-blown original compositions to be able to participate.
Just so there's no misunderstanding, it was not my intent that participation in this project would be based on members' skill level, recording knowledge, or experience. Rather, that it was put forth as an opportunity for those who wanted to learn more about it, and then, collectively contribute to something that we could all put our own stamp on. Again - just wanting to make sure that everyone understands this.

That being said, I thought DVM's suggestion about a "Fretter's Jam Track" (*or maybe even 2 or 3) is an excellent idea, and certainly could fill that participatory void for many of our enthusiastic newer players. I would be happy to put together a jam track, and would also encourage some of our more experienced members to do the same. Maybe there could be some discussion as to what style, sound, or musical genre would provide the most enjoyment for those members seeking to contribute to the Jam Track(s) - which, of course, would be included in the FN release's final form.

kerc
November 14th, 2006, 03:01 PM
This is called cyberjamming. :)

Justaguyin_nc
November 15th, 2006, 01:19 AM
collectively contribute to something that we could all put our own stamp on.

Oh I kinda understood it.. I guess I been doing this for the last year.. I find songs people on the fret net put here in this forum and add them to a folder on my HardDrive called "TheFretNet" (original huh :) ) and when I want to take a memory walk.. I listen to them in a playlist.. there been some pretty good ones in the past and present.. wish more would show up just by throwing them up when they feel like it without the need of a project or structure.. sure would make this forum more lively and fun (although it already is to me.. with Kerc's latest backingtrack he shared) some I been waiting a year to hear (hint hint) .. the project, it's cool and all.. but the individual that just throws up a backingtrack they found or song created and then others just add/jam to it in the forum seems like the same thing with out need for creating all the this in that in stuff.. A project should not be needed to share a backingtrack or song with your fellow fretters for comments or jamming.. it's just a backing track to explore with others.. I guess what I was/am trying to say is the fret net provides this already with this one forum.. just compile what you like to CD.. now, maybe some art work sponsoring the fret net as the place the songs came from would be helpfull for cd covers sitting in your car and all.... just my two cents... Don't get me wrong.. if structure and a project is needed for some to show their skills/songs then so be it.. I just like the more friendly atmopshere of what happens , happens and anything goes.. jamming with a smile...:) hope this didn't offend anyone.. I already said I expired from this.. just hate to see people go for a cd instead of in the open forum..

SuperSwede
November 15th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Perhaps we should have a "request a backing track" thread or section. I would happily help out with backing tracks too.

sunvalleylaw
November 15th, 2006, 07:22 AM
.. just hate to see people go for a cd instead of in the open forum..

I get what you are saying. I would hope no one would hold back from submitting recordings on the forum. For me, a non-contributor at this point, it is certainly [I]not[I] and either or thing. I will listen to, be inspired by, and learn from all posts, and buy a cd if one is available, just to have the cool compilation in the car to make me smile during the work day! :DR

duhvoodooman
November 15th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Just so there's no misunderstanding, it was not my intent that participation in this project would be based on members' skill level, recording knowledge, or experience. Rather, that it was put forth as an opportunity for those who wanted to learn more about it, and then, collectively contribute to something that we could all put our own stamp on. Again - just wanting to make sure that everyone understands this.

That being said, I thought DVM's suggestion about a "Fretter's Jam Track" (*or maybe even 2 or 3) is an excellent idea, and certainly could fill that participatory void for many of our enthusiastic newer players. I would be happy to put together a jam track, and would also encourage some of our more experienced members to do the same. Maybe there could be some discussion as to what style, sound, or musical genre would provide the most enjoyment for those members seeking to contribute to the Jam Track(s) - which, of course, would be included in the FN release's final form.
Nelsk, I know your idea certainly wasn't intended to exclude anyone. It's just that putting together an entire original track is no small undertaking, requiring playing skills, recording skills, compositional skills and the right hardware and software to pull it off. Hence, I think you'll find that, with few exceptions, all but the most seasoned & talented guitarists here are likely to struggle mightily with that. Which is why I like the Fretters' Jam concept, since those of us who aren't quite as far down the road of our respective musical journeys can join in with less trepidation....and probably much better results.

As far as genre goes for potential jam tunes, I'd think that a slow blues and a good driving rocker would be a couple of good ones to start with. :DR

sunvalleylaw
November 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM
As far as genre goes for potential jam tunes, I'd think that a slow blues and a good driving rocker would be a couple of good ones to start with. :DR

Concur. Those genres would be easiest for me to follow along and experiment with, using the group's inspiration to build my own game.

Nelskie
November 15th, 2006, 08:03 PM
.. just hate to see people go for a cd instead of in the open forum..
I guess I wouldn't hate for anyone to get involved in recording their own material - whether it be a completely finished song, a jam track, or a few minutes of "doodling", or whatever. The key is getting involved. The CD project was presented as one way for members to do that - - and to have fun - nothing more . . . nothing less.

Would a CD project like we've described throughout these posts draw some attention to, encourage some interest in, and help a lot of our newer members to take that first step into recording their own original material? Yes - I'd have to believe it would. Perhaps more so than what is and has already been happening on FN. In other words, there is the very real possibility that a project such as this might end up spurring more of the very activity that you feel that it deters. But you're absolutely right in saying that a CD project is not necessary for that to happen. People can participate in the forum in whatever way they choose, and at whatever level they want to be involved - - cuz' that's what FN is all about.

Anyways, the CD project was nothing more than an idea. Something I thought would be cool to do - that's all. It really makes zero difference to me if it gets off the ground or doesn't. I'm OK with either. C'est la vie! ;)

Justaguyin_nc
November 16th, 2006, 01:26 AM
The key is getting involved. Perhaps more so than what is and has already been happening on FN. In other words, there is the very real possibility that a project such as this might end up spurring more of the very activity that you feel that it deters.

well, I sure hope it comes to be... The part about getting involved I mean.. I been waiting to "hear" some on here for over a year get involved, but all I see is messages about what they did at some gig.. but no sounds I can learn from.. or instruction to the songs to learn from ;) This is such a great forum... and I just voiced that maybe those that want to make a CD might let us "ALL" hear their work here in the open instead of needing to wait for a place to put up their songs and then a compilation... I know only a few pro players here.. Robert is a definate one.. and Axtell.. who shares his work openly right here and I am pretty sure impresses the heck out of most of us.. and knows it's still copyrite to him. I did finally get to hear some of Spuds which I enjoyed alot and hope to hear more of.. and there are others.. So many can teach so much just by letting others hear their work or jam play to a backing.. every little bit.. be it a 1 minute jam or a whole original song posted to this forum can make such a big difference... if "everyone" would get involved is the key.. "everyone" on all levels.... When I started here, I was told it didn't matter what you sound like..pro or newbie.. in fact it was a teaching Website that brought me here "Roberts", it's the key to get involved and post something.. any kind of music.. just to share.. I think that's a great basis for a great forum.. if "All" that want to make the forum work here locally... So making a Fretnet backing Nel, shouldn't have to wait till you want it on a CD..it's something you should want to do and have already done for all if that's your choosing..heck I had to search out backings awhile ago to get it going in here.. then it went silent till swede jumped back in.. then kerc.. if you want to get involved..well get involved :) openly in the forum.. which then turns out some jams.. the more the better.. which maybe you or others can sift through and make a CD.. from the open forum.. see what I mean? I hope the CD project works for those that wish it.. I just wish those that do... would also post their works here so we don't have to wait months or a year to hear them... I am not being negative at all.. just trying to figure why songs didn't end up here first if thats what this forum is about... maybe I am missing the big picture.. But I am here for the FretNet and those that contribute locally to it and get involved....

Lev
November 16th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Justa, I think you're making some great points.

I really like the CD idea and would love to contribute a song. I'm by no means a pro player nor have I ever recorded anything before other than for my own entertainment and pleasure. When I read Nelskie's post I was immediately motivated to start working on writing something original with a goal to getting it onto this CD. A 'project' such as this is a great motivation to finishing a complete track for me. I have a PC with Cubase, a PODxt and a drum machine and I tinker from time to time but never really put a full finished track together coz I don't get the time due to other priorities in my life. Somehing like this would push me to make that time.

Everyone on here is their own worst critic and I think I'm like most folks in that I'd like my tracks to be to a certain standard before I post for public consumption. Perhaps we all need to take a step back from this and post our unfinished rough ideas for what they are - 'rough ideas'. It's certainly something I'll take on board when I next get a rush of inspiration :DR ! (or should that read "if I ever get a rush of inspiration").

But as for the CD, I see it as a motivation for us to write, be creative and collaborate on a project. I have a couple of song ideas in my head and I was hoping to get some time in the next week to get them recorded and post on here for feedback. That's something that I would probably have put on the long finger were it not for the CD idea. So from a motivation point of view I think the CD can only be a good thing!

I also don't think folks should be immediately dismissing themselves from contributing because they don't feel up to the required standard. The great thing about the Fret.Net is that there's never been a 'required standard'. Something like this could be catalyst for for newer players to make a first forray into recording - even if it's only 30seconds of chords it could be enough to spark an idea in another fretter that could turn into a collaboration and possibly a song. :)

....just my 2 two cents...

Nelskie
November 16th, 2006, 08:03 AM
. . . and I think I'm like most folks in that I'd like my tracks to be to a certain standard before I post for public consumption. Perhaps we all need to take a step back from this and post our unfinished rough ideas for what they are - 'rough ideas' . . .
I think Lev has summed this point up nicely. Indeed, it is something that has had some bearing on me contributing tracks and what not - I myself have only been "tinkering" with the recording thing for just over a year. Whether that's right or wrong was never a thought that crossed my mind.

The great thing about the Fret.Net is that there's never been a 'required standard'...
Precisely. This is what we need to keep in the forefront of everything. We are all unique. We are all different. "Expecting" that others contribute at a particular level, and in a particular area, is not the way to encourage involvement. In fact, it's just the opposite. People are involved because they want to be. I can't say anything more than that. If you think its a cop out, or an excuse, you're entitled to that opinion. It would be my guess that you are not alone.

It may also be worth mentioning how / why I came onto Fret.Net in the first place. Even though guitars are what drew me here, it's been the opportunity to write that has kept me around, and involved. Simply, that is how I've chosen to participate. I'm not a "clipper", or a "tinkerer", a "pro", or even "comic relief". I'm a musician who likes to write about music. That's what I bring to the table. If it's not what you want, or expect . . . I'm sorry. But that's the way it is.

Whatever the case, your point is very clear.

Justaguyin_nc
November 16th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Everyone on here is their own worst critic and I think I'm like most folks in that I'd like my tracks to be to a certain standard before I post for public consumption.
But as for the CD, I see it as a motivation for us to write

Very good points Lev... see, told ya I was missing the big picture...:) Reading back at my reply's it almost looked like I was flaming about making a project.. I surely didn't mean it in that sense.. more just wondering why people did not feel comfortable posting in the forum.. Nelskie always has good ideas, dunno why I thought this one was backwards.. Thanks for opening the eyes and I sure hope I didn't stop anyone from thinking about the CD project or open forum postings... zipping lips...haha

Tim
November 16th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Why not have the “contributor” of a song have the Fret Net forum members critique the song before it is forwarded to be on the Fret Net CD? Since the members here at his forum are helpful, friendly and very supportive, I think any advice or suggestions given to improve a track’s mixing, or the playing itself would help regulate the quality of the CD. This process may also help the “contributor” to improve playing and mixing skills. As mentioned earlier ... the Fret Net has a lot of skilful and seasoned players that do not hold back in sharing their knowledge. This would help eliminate the “standards” issue.

Nelskie
November 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Why not have the “contributor” of a song have the Fret Net forum members critique the song before it is forwarded to be on the Fret Net CD? Since the members here at his forum are helpful, friendly and very supportive, I think any advice or suggestions given to improve a track’s mixing, or the playing itself would help regulate the quality of the CD. This process may also help the “contributor” to improve playing and mixing skills. As mentioned earlier ... the Fret Net has a lot of skilful and seasoned players that do not hold back in sharing their knowledge. This would help eliminate the “standards” issue.
While I realize Tim's suggestion was put forth in good faith, I can't help but scratch my head at all of this. I mean, now were talking about a pre-submission critique of the songs? Not what I had envisioned at all.

I'd initially thought there would be a few issues to clarify after tabling the idea on Monday, but I can honestly say that I never thought it would get to this point. But since it has, perhaps now is as good a time as any to thank everyone for their insights and suggestions, and gracefully bow out of the picture. As well, I bear no ill-will or hard feelings towards anyone who offered any points contrary to my own. This is a first-hand view of how things work in an online forum, and for that experience, I am a wiser man.

For those still interested in moving forward with the CD project, the idea is yours to run with. Best of luck with it, and to everyone, I wish you continued success with all of your playing endeavors - - whatever they may be. ;)

Hogfullofblues
November 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Wow.
Not sure how to voice this, but here goes.....
Nels idea was great, still is, stimulated a lot interest, definately would provide motavation, and as long as everyone/anyone just throws caution and fear to the wind, can contribute musically and otherwise. I especially appreciate that Nels was willing to sacrifice his time and contribute his expertise to coordinate and pull this off. I am quite sad that it looks like this will not happen.
Justas and others input about more backing tracks and recording submissions and opportunities is also a great idea, but maybe by itself is lacking something in the motivation department.
I guess the point is we can have both these arenas, with some motivation and input, and all can enjoy and benefit.
Nels, should you ever reconsider, you can count me in. And as far as recording outside of a group project, I was motivated enough by the prospect of a CD to somehow record something on my own finally.
The whole affair took over 4 hours. From downloading Audacity and Sound Engine, trying to figure out how the heck they work, getting Kerc's BT in there, windows settings for the Pod, and on and on and on. The actual playing and recording part was just the last 15 minutes, one take for rthym and one for a lead. I didn't even change guitar tones as all I was trying for was to get it to work. It is raw and bad. But presented here as an example of what a great motivational idea can accomplish, and in that vain I am thrilled: I made a recording!

Thanks for the inspiration, Nels. I do hope that you may consider reconsidering (is that a sentence?), but if not, I am still way ahead of where I was just a few days ago and can't wait to record some more.

ted s
November 16th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Nice job HogFull'o'blues, I like it. Kinda has that Neil Young "This note's for you" feel.

Tim
November 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Sorry guys, I did not mean to drive anybody away. I was just putting out an idea that I thought would help. Yes it was in good faith. I did not mean that a preview would stop anybody from bringing forth a song.

I retract my statement and back away humbly to allow you all to continue with the project first brought forward by Nelskie. I did not mean to step on my tongue or anybody’s toes.

Nelskie, please reconsider for the sake of the forum and brothers who are waiting to move forward. I will not comment on this thread anymore.

I still will buy a few of the CDs when completed.

tremoloman
November 16th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Sorry I joined in late on this one everyone. I think this is a really cool idea!

How about this to get things started?

Let's say someone creates a blues loop to jam to. A user can then download it, add a solo to up, reupload it, then the next person downloads it, adds their solo, etc. It would literally be a Blues Cyberjam! This would give players with less confidence to contribute. You don't have to be an amazing player to jam... it's all about FUN! Hell, I average at best people to come see us play - its all about having fun - it it's not, you must be mad!

Hogfullofblues:
Nice track! I've got to learn how to record a nice clean track like that! My BOSS BR-1600 is cool but confusing to a new-B like me. I'll post 3 demo tracks from my band later tonight for some laughs.

oldguy
November 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Fellow members.
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT, Give up on this idea, I know of nothing that has ever been done like this before. A free site with links to lessons of the caliber Robert has here, with the level of encouragement and training available to the beginner, intermediate player, and semi-to-pro-player? Have any of you ever found a site like this before? I haven't. We need to share and care and help one another. Period. To have a CD devoted to players of this site, WITHOUT regard to their playing skills or experience, is absolutely MIND BLOWING!!!
I pledge to help in any way I can. That's a promise. If I'm only home one weekend a month I'll spend it here trying to help.
Nels, I'll help in any way I can.
Justa, I'll try and get more backing tracks on here, I promise.
Robert, I'll try and send some cash to help when I can.
Please, fellow Fret.Net members, this is a chance to do something that's never been done before. Have you ever seen another site with an idea like this? I haven't.
Would all of you like to be part of something new, innovative, creative, educational, enlightening, and totally COOL? :D
Me too. Let's get this thing cookin'!
Glenn Hughes
(No, not that bass player, he's WAY over my head musically)

Spudman
November 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Nice job HFOB. Way to dive in there. That's what it's all about.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Nice job HFOB. Way to dive in there. That's what it's all about.

Way to Go HAAAWWG!! (heavy clapping, hooting and whistling) I am writing this after just listening to Hogfull'OBlues track and now am grooving to Spud's, both of which automatically added themselves to iTunes when I downloaded them. How awesome is that! Old Guy, T-man, and all others who have offered support, thank you from a beginner. You guys said it all. I support the efforts here and will do what I can to make this work. Even if it sucks at first (and I am sure it won't) just going for it, casting fear and caution to the wind (thanks Hog) is a success as far as this beginner is concerned. I don't know exactly what I can do, but I am in.

Justaguyin_nc
November 17th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the inspiration, Nels. I do hope that you may consider reconsidering (is that a sentence?), but if not, I am still way ahead of where I was just a few days ago and can't wait to record some more.

Nice one Hogs... and I think everyone hopes Nels reconsiders... Im sure people asked SRV, Hendrix and countless others if they are doing the right thing.. and probably got the big picture later that they had the right thing going on all along...(we can't all be smart right off the bat.. wouldn't leave any room for comic relief..;) ) anything that gets a person recording and jamming on the fretnet and uploading a song is a plus..

Hogfullofblues
November 17th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the kinds words and encouragement!
The real deal here, though, is still the concept behind it all. That's you Nels. I can say, and it sure sounds like I am not alone, that should you return to bring your idea to fruit, we will follow your lead. But I can't help but notice that you are conspicuous in your absence. Nelskie?.......

oldguy
November 19th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I was reading over this again today and I have a few thoughts... Hope you won't mind me sharing them.

How it will work: Those members who are interested in participating can select (1) of their favorite original tracks, and post it on a site where I can download it.

I know that it would probably be a logistical nightmare to put together, but I like that idea of a "composite" tune that several Fretters could contribute pieces to!

A project should not be needed to share a backingtrack or song with your fellow fretters for comments or jamming.. it's just a backing track to explore with others..

Perhaps we should have a "request a backing track" thread or section. I would happily help out with backing tracks too.

I guess I wouldn't hate for anyone to get involved in recording their own material - whether it be a completely finished song, a jam track, or a few minutes of "doodling", or whatever. The key is getting involved. The CD project was presented as one way for members to do that - - and to have fun - nothing more . . . nothing less.

well, I sure hope it comes to be... The part about getting involved I mean.. I been waiting to "hear" some on here for over a year get involved, but all I see is messages about what they did at some gig.. but no sounds I can learn from.. or instruction to the songs to learn from

Everyone on here is their own worst critic and I think I'm like most folks in that I'd like my tracks to be to a certain standard before I post for public consumption.

I'd initially thought there would be a few issues to clarify after tabling the idea on Monday, but I can honestly say that I never thought it would get to this point. But since it has, perhaps now is as good a time as any to thank everyone for their insights and suggestions, and gracefully bow out of the picture.

I pledge to help in any way I can. That's a promise. If I'm only home one weekend a month I'll spend it here trying to help.
Nels, I'll help in any way I can.
Justa, I'll try and get more backing tracks on here, I promise.

Gentlemen, I think we began mixing oranges and apples here somewhere along the way. Nels has a fantastic idea. No-one said I shouldn't keep posting my obviously amateur clips when I know they have flaws.
So I put some on here that I certainly wouldn't have posted if I thought they would end up on a CD.
Putting up backing tracks for brother Fretters is a great way to jam and learn and have fun.
This has spurred a flurry of activity from alot of members, and I love that aspect.
I did post some backing tracks to try and help get the ball rolling on a cyberjam, but Nels original post was not about that.
I would work much harder on an original tune if it were going on a Fret.net CD, in fact, I think I would critique it for sound quality, timing, etc. for quite a while, but put it up when I felt it represented my level of accomplishment and let it go at that.
In the meantime I'd just keep posting, mistakes and all, I'm not looking for a recording contract, I'm trying to learn, and teach, improve, and help others do the same.;)
Music is about having fun. Have fun playing and enjoy learning. The human mind is most satisfied when striving to achieve a new level of accomplishment.
Glad to see the backing tracks are popular, but then, they always were, whether homemade or found elsewhere.

Nelskie, I love the idea for a CD, and hope you will press on and deliver "through sleet, through rain, through hail", just like the trusty (?) U.S. mail service.:rolleyes:
If anyone here can pull off an undertaking this big, you can, Nels.
And if I can help, I sure will.
P.S.
I hope ALL you guitar fanatics will get involved, post, record, play, and encourage each other. Every member here has something important to contribute, let's hear what ya' got!
Peace and love, man.

Justaguyin_nc
November 20th, 2006, 09:10 AM
No-one said I shouldn't keep posting my obviously amateur clips when I know they have flaws.

See, That's the part that I didn't see yet in "the big picture".. Wondered (and just that voiced "Wonder if") if a CD attempt would further stiffle people from putting forth their rough cuts or amateur clips here on the fret net... I was hoping to hear "Real" players which I have heard now the last few days come forth before A/The CD would be finished.. This CD idea is a great Idea and venture to take on for those capable.. and obviously thats alot of people. And, those people now see putting up their rough cuts not intended for CD are excepted and very helpful and "inspirational" to us less then stellar guitar players and even to those capable to jam along with.. I been "Known" to really put up some poor sounding clips.. mainly due to lack of skill but in earnest and without fear of what one might say. The internet is a great way to put up those rough cuts and learning experiences because you actually do not know the people hearing them if it does hurt feelings..and don't "see" them everyday.. This has also prompted me to actually "Try" to be more critical of my playing.. but only when I want to be.. not during jams or rough cut ideas I would like input on.. still enjoy sounding like a dork on occassion (more than not) and enjoying the moment for what it is..

If Nelskie does not reconsider doing a CD Compilation.. I sure hope someone here capable, will step up and take it over... it's a win win situation...I hope Robert can setup a sub-forum for the CD venture also.. to keep it in view as we wait and see how it turns out.
(I thought I was gonna zip it up..ohwell...)

It's nice listening to all the clips flowing..thats what its all about.. play on!

Rough Cuts: I heard cuts on tape decks from the Beatles to Pink Floyd.. look some up on the net and than think how on earth they ever became what they are in songs today.. they let others hear them.. and worked on them..
look forward to more rough cuts...

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I'll lay some soloage down, clean or dirty. Someone start some songs. Or do we submit our own? What was the decision? I have some unfinished ones I can add that some of you have already heard.