PDA

View Full Version : Rock and roll explosion

Spudman
March 15th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Do you ever....

Turn up your amp so loud that it seems like the guitar and amph are just going to explode? I do, and when I do it seems like the guitar is screaming and on the edge of pushing me into another dimension or shooting me into a black hole. It's just wild with no restraint. Sure there is some control in my hands, but the sound is just totally unleashed and powerful. It almost makes me frantic.

Do you ever go there? I don't think I've ever heard someone else's guitar go there...ever.

FrankenFretter
March 15th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I remember back in the good old days (that would be the 80s, in my case) when I had options for locations where I could actually turn up LOUD. I can barely remember what that's like, but I do remember that 100 tube watts through 8 Celestions brought me about as close to nirvana as I've ever been.

Katastrophe
March 16th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Dude, I live for that tone, where you can feel it as much as hear it. One wrong note or hand movement, and your over the edge into sonic oblivion. Yessir, I dig it!

oldguy
March 16th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Yes, I do. And along with that, I play as fast as I'm able (which isn't all that fast, to be honest).
Taking the whole enchilada to the very edge that way is the most fun sometimes.
Crank up wide open, get into a groove and keep speeding up 'till you're "just ready to crash and burn".....good times.

Jimi75
March 16th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I do Spud!!!
That's the most fun part about playing a tube amp. You gotta learn to controle it though.
Beginners tend to flip out when they get in this territory, but the more you play at dimed volume the more you understand how to use your instrument in this context.
It definitely opens up another "dimension" and I would go as far as to say that the thing you describe is the major league of rock guitar playing.

Eric
March 16th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Hmm. Never been there. Now I'm curious. Anybody want to loan me a full stack and sound-proof room?

bcdon
March 16th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hmm. Never been there. Now I'm curious. Anybody want to loan me a full stack and sound-proof room?
Sadly, me either. My amph can get so loud it can melt paint off the walls, but I live in an apartment where I have to keep it under control. The good thing is that my amph sounds great at low volumes. However, on the weekend I'll turn it up and blast it for a few but never more than at '3'... I'm going to have to find a place where I can crank it up. :dude

Tig
March 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM
This is why I love low wattage amphs.
Maxed at 11, singing like naughty 'gasmic angels, and plenty loud enough to feel the dark side smackin' you in the chest.

sunvalleylaw
March 16th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I think I have gotten close. And with this new tele, it was asking me to go there somehow it seemed. Seemed the guitar told me to shut off my mind and just go. Not quite claiming I am there, but getting there, or at least an idea of where "there" is. :AOK

NWBasser
March 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Sadly, me either. My amph can get so loud it can melt paint off the walls, but I live in an apartment where I have to keep it under control. The good thing is that my amph sounds great at low volumes. However, on the weekend I'll turn it up and blast it for a few but never more than at '3'... I'm going to have to find a place where I can crank it up. :dude

Hey Don, Sean and I are discussing another get-together in my area. We could use a local rehearsal room and really crank it up! Or else I could get the wife a gift card so that she'd go off shopping while we crank up at my house. The cop that lives across the street plays too and would be happy to join us.

Eric
March 16th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Hey Don, Sean and I are discussing another get-together in my area. We could use a local rehearsal room and really crank it up! Or else I could get the wife a gift card so that she'd go off shopping while we crank up at my house. The cop that lives across the street plays too and would be happy to join us.
That's so nice of you guys to pony up airfare so that I can come out too! Thanks!

...right? Right?? Guys???

Spudman
March 16th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Not really. It's about turning up really loud and kicking in a dirt boost and then your world gets turned inside out as this powerful demonesque raunch starts to shred the fabric of the universe.

I think I have gotten close. And with this new tele, it was asking me to go there somehow it seemed. Seemed the guitar told me to shut off my mind and just go. Not quite claiming I am there, but getting there, or at least an idea of where "there" is. :AOK

FrankenFretter
March 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM
That's so nice of you guys to pony up airfare so that I can come out too! Thanks!

...right? Right?? Guys???

We'd love to have you, Eric. If any of us wins the Lotto at any time before our jam session, we'll pony up airfare for ya.

Tig
March 16th, 2011, 01:12 PM
In The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, there's a rock band mentioned...

Disaster Area

A plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, they are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but in fact the loudest noise of any kind at all. Regular concert goers judge that the best sound balance is usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles from the stage, while the musicians themselves play their instruments by remote control from within a heavily insulated spaceship which stays in orbit around the planet – or more frequently around a completely different planet.

marnold
March 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM
In The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, there's a rock band mentioned...

Disaster Area

A plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, they are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but in fact the loudest noise of any kind at all. Regular concert goers judge that the best sound balance is usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles from the stage, while the musicians themselves play their instruments by remote control from within a heavily insulated spaceship which stays in orbit around the planet – or more frequently around a completely different planet.

Heh. I'm in the process of re-reading through the Hitchhiker "Trilogy." I'm on the third book "Life, the Universe, and Everything." The best part of Disaster Area is that their lead singer, Hotblack Desiato, is technically dead.

bcdon
March 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM

That sounds really awesome! I'll bring my boogie and we can crank the mother up! :dude

piebaldpython
March 18th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Is this the sound you're talkin' about........screamin' git right on the edge of the cliff?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3TgcfIdq8&feature=related

Spudman
March 18th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Is this the sound you're talkin' about........screamin' git right on the edge of the cliff?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3TgcfIdq8&feature=related

Close. I imagine if I was in the room with Ry's amph it might be similar, but it seems a little more in control that I'm trying to describe. After about 2 minutes playing the way I'm trying to describe you would be so full of testosterone that you'd jump into the ring at an MMA fight and beat both guys severely. That's what I'm talking about.

tjcurtin1
March 18th, 2011, 08:55 PM
This just came in my mailbox, and seems fitting to the discussion:

http://www.guitarsquid.com/images/stories/Top_Stories/Mar11/volume-knobs-explained.jpg