PDA

View Full Version : Elton John Tonight At The Garden

stingx
March 16th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Well wifey scored some amazing seats for Elton John tonight and surprised me with them. He's doing all his greatest hits and playing for three hours. This will be a great evening. I have seen him a few times in the past and he never disappoints...well, one time he did by not playing Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding but other than that...

I'm off. I'll try to take some good shots on the stage.

Spudman
March 16th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Oh man! I am soooooooooo jealous. He's the one artist that I would love to see...just because it's ELTON JOHN!

Have a good time. I'm curious if John Jorgenson is still playing with him.

sunvalleylaw
March 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Elton John was my first real rock star I was a fan of, back in the 70s. I would love to see him.

street music
March 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
We got to see Elton John and Billy Joel in concert together and it was a fantastic show.

R_of_G
March 20th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Great artist at the greatest venue in the universe. That had to be an awesome show.

stingx
March 20th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Oh man! I am soooooooooo jealous. He's the one artist that I would love to see...just because it's ELTON JOHN!

Have a good time. I'm curious if John Jorgenson is still playing with him.

Jorgenson is not listed as being on this tour and Johnstone was the only guitarist i saw on stage. I've seen EJ over the years and he still gives his fans a tremendous show. For a man well into 60s he played three hours non-stop. ALL the hits were played - he opened with Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding and closed on encore with Your Song. One tune he didn't play was my favorite Someone Saved My Life Tonight. That was a bit disappointing. The show as a whole was just over the top. His voice was in rare form and he was getting many standing ovations. He spoke to the crowd a few times and he was being very sincere. He told us how this marks his 41st year of performing and that MSG is his favorite place to play in the entire world. He thanked NY for being so kind to him since he began his career and it was very touching to hear him acknowledge how only by fans buying tickets could he have had any success. I cannot stress enough how genuine he came across. Anyway, go see him if you get the chance, especially those who never had. He's not getting any younger and you'll regret never having seen this tremendously talented man and his band play. Remember, there isn't always a next time.

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I just watched a PBS American Master's show on "The Troubadour" in LA where a lot of 70s singer/songwriters got there start. Interestingly, Elton got his American start in that club and wowed the crowd full of critics and stars. It spring-boarded his career over here. Just thought I would throw that in as a side note. Check the show if you can find it. It was cool all the way through if you like Carole King, JT, Jackson Browne, interviews with Bonnie Raitt, Crosty, and other, etc. A guy can be overexposed to James Taylor, but this show really shows what a player he is. Guy's got talent. Plus the Elton section was really cool. It was my favorite part.

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTjlN1pq0Fo

Just so good. I really want to go see Sir Elton.

stingx
March 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I was hoping he'd play this last week. He might for tonight's final show at MSG. I will be jealous if he does. Love this to bits...

ZIvKDs7cSN4

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Nice!

t_ross33
March 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Going to see EJ in Saskatoon, May 10th. I haven't seen him before - really looking forward to it!

stingx
March 20th, 2011, 06:08 PM
You will have an excellent evening!

Spudman
March 20th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I thought something sounded funny. Compare this with the more current one. It's a whole step different. Not only does Elton do it, but Alice Cooper, Aerosmith and many others have tuned down or changed keys as they've aged. I just had to defend doing this myself recently to my bass player, who refuses to tune his bass down 1/2 step. Of course he'll complain, but he doesn't do any singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia-s7rY175k

stingx
March 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
He hasn't been able to sing like this in a long time, Spudman. He can't even do the la la la la la las in Crocodile Rock but his voice still sounds great and he still sings and plays with conviction. Growing old's a *****...